Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Aug 29, 2004, 11:32 PM   #11

Yeah, it'd be nice if they'd have a wider selection of profiles. I've noticed people stating that even Kodak's own recommended printer settings don't work very well either. Something seems to be amuck at Kodak. I know you're not the only one who feels that way about their papers.

I get my Epson papers at Office Max when they have their 50% off sales. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to when they have the sales, but when they do I stock up.

Lux.
----
iCanon.org - Canon i-series user group.
http://www.icanon.org
Luxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2004, 1:22 PM   #12

I am surprised that Epson papers worked on your Canon printer.hmmmm... wonder if the reverse is true? If the availbility of the paper that I prefer to usewas a little more, I wouldnt be shoppin around. As I have no complaints of the Epson paper/

Ya, something is amuk at Kodak. One would think that they would be a little more on top of things
SternSteve121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2004, 3:42 PM   #13

I use Epson Glossy Photo Paper with my i960, and it works fine.
JonathanV112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2004, 7:03 PM   #14

SternSteve121 wrote:
Quote:
I am surprised that Epson papers worked on your Canon printer.hmmmm... wonder if the reverse is true? If the availbility of the paper that I prefer to use was a little more, I wouldnt be shoppin around. As I have no complaints of the Epson paper/

Ya, something is amuk at Kodak. One would think that they would be a little more on top of things
A lot of people I know use Epson papers on Canon printers. However it would be nice if Epson provided ICC profiles for their papers for other printer brands, but of course, no.

One thing I like about Epson papers (and I haven't had any Canon paper to try this out on) is they are quite water resistant. I've run photos I've printed on their 4x6 Premium Glossy stock under water and other than a few water spots, they look great. No smudging, bleeding, or paper curl. I'm quite impressed.

Lux.
----
iCanon.org - Canon i-series user group.
http://www.icanon.org
Luxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2004, 11:42 PM   #15

I have a Canon i960 and I've had great results using Ilford smooth gloss paper. The prints are just as good as using canon paper. The best part is I can get 100 sheets of the Ilford for $23 at Sams Club as oppposed to 20 sheets of Canon paper for $13 at regular retail outlets. The Ilford paper performs and it's a much better bargain ! I should note that's 100 sheet packs of the 8.5 x 11 Ilford paper.
chuckie_237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2004, 12:27 PM   #16

I also have an i960. I love it :-). as far as paper I'm still testing, but so far so good, I do have to watch what the settings are though. It does make a difference, i've had to try diffent settings. I've found that the cannon papaer recomened works great, the cheep office max paper issoso - good for test prints before you do a final print.I have a few other paper brands I still needcheck out.

Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2004, 12:56 AM   #17

I have the same printer, try using RED RIVER PAPER 68 LB ULTRA PRO GLOSS. EXCELLANT PAPER AND PHOTOS.
Imacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2004, 11:47 PM   #18

RobJK wrote:
Quote:
mnmike:

THE KODAK SETTINGS ON THE WEBSITE ARE WRONG!!!

I've tried these settings and even called Kodak: These published settings do NOT work: the results are terrible.

INSTEAD: Use the "High Gloss Photo Film" setting in the Canon printer driver, and do not use ANY of the KODAK settings at all (eg DONT add intensity etc etc).

The results with the HGPF paper setting are VERY VERY GOOD!!!

Please let us know your experience too!
When I go into properties, the "main" tab does not show "High Gloss Photo Film" as a choice for media type. I see the photo paper pro, glossy photo paper, glossy plus, etc. but no "High Gloss Photo Film" as an option. This is using the i960 winXP driver version 1.73. Anyideas?

Skylark

skylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2004, 7:53 PM   #19

I have a 960 and have had excellent results with Canon Paper. HP and Kodak paper yielded poor results probably because they require a water based ink where Canon is alcohol based. Last week I tried some Konica Satin finish paper (bought at Frys) and I thought the skin tones looked great. I used the photo glossy plus setting without any other modifications. Haven't tried Epson. Staples has the Canon paper half price every so often but it is never advertised. I was impressed with the Konica and I intend to try their other finishes.
mwalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2004, 8:32 PM   #20

mwalters wrote:
Quote:
HP and Kodak paper yielded poor results probably because they require a water based ink where Canon is alcohol based.
That doesn't sound right. AFAIK Canon ink is water based like the other dye based inks, the Canon printers get it onto the page faster than some papers can accept it.
Paul_D is offline   Reply With Quote