Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Dec 11, 2008, 5:03 PM   #1

Have print quality problems. Printing very dark. Have tried a few options on setup page to no avail. Any suggestions?
evansjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 12, 2008, 4:54 AM   #2

evansjr wrote:
Quote:
Have print quality problems. Printing very dark. Have tried a few options on setup page to no avail. Any suggestions?
First thing I'd try is to identify if one of the colours in particular is darkest as that might indicate cross-contamination or just contamination in the printheads.

If you do a nozzle check and see if one or more of the colours are better/worse than they should be.

Also be useful to know if you're using OEM cartridges (ie: Epson branded), 3rd party, refilled or CIS... It could be that you've got light magenta or cyan mixed up with the standard strength or similar.
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2008, 8:00 AM   #3

I will do a nozzle check and I am using new Epson brand inks, no refills. Thanks
Old Dec 12, 2008, 8:41 PM   #4

If colors look ok, just too dark, try changing the gamma setting in the 'color controls' tab of the printer driver. IIRC, change from the default of 1.8 to 1.5 to lighten things up.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2008, 9:00 PM   #5

Thanks Brian, I did this and it helped a little, but is still too dark. The photo is of my children and Santa with a red border. The skin tones do not look as yellow with the gamma change, but definitely is not any where like the original photo. I am running the print thru the MS Windows, XP, Photo Wizard, but I also have Photoshop Elements 6.0. Should that make any difference?
Old Dec 12, 2008, 10:44 PM   #6

I haven't printed directly from Windows, but I seem to recall hearing of problems with it.

If the picture itself is a bit dark, this can be exacerbated by trying to print straight from the as-taken picture. I think your best bet would be to adjust the photo using Elements, and print from that. There are quite a few options in the print dialog as to color management, and it may take a few attempts to find what works for you.

brian
Old Dec 13, 2008, 7:33 AM   #7

Brian,

I forgot to mention the picture is a high resolution one from the "professional" mall photographers for Santa. Do you still think making adjustments thru Elements is the way to go? The pictures I purchased from the photographer (Cherry Hill) look great and the CD pciture looks good on the computer, but once it is printed it is a whole new story...and not a good one. Thanks for your suggestions.
Old Dec 13, 2008, 5:26 PM   #8

You don't have to change the original image - make a copy and work on it.

Two things come to mind regarding printing problems like this. First - if you are using an LCD to view th images, most LCD monitors have overly high brightness (it makes viewing videos easier, and lets the maker advertise very high contrast ratio) which make things difficult for photo editing. Some people use hardware calibrators to profile their monitors - especially if they do a lot of photo editing and printing. You can do your own adjustments, if you are able to adjust brightness, by adjusting your monitor to match the print.

Second point is that the pro photog probably took the shot in Adobe RGB color space. This often results in color and brightness mismatches on computers, which normally work in sRGB color space. Photoshop Elements is a color aware program, which will recognize which is in use, and show you the correct colors. When printing from the program, you will need to check the print dialog for the correct settings.

brian
Old Dec 13, 2008, 9:06 PM   #9

SUCCESS!!!! Thank you. Running it through Photoshop and editing he lighting and exposure areas did wonders. Now I just have to go buy more ink to print all these photos for the Christmas cards. Thanks again, Brian and Merry Christmas!

Dawn
Old Dec 16, 2008, 3:52 AM   #10

Well that'll teach me for treating everything as a technical printer gubbins issue :?

Glad you got it sorted
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote