Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jul 30, 2002, 11:50 AM   #1

Default Epson 2200

Anybody have comments on the new 2200 that just got released. I was thinking of buying one in the next 2-3 m onths...anybody?
jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 22, 2002, 2:20 PM   #2

Default Not happy with new 2200!

Hi, I got my 2200 two days ago, and so far I'm greatly disappointed. Perhaps I was just expecting too much...

I'm going from an Epson 1270, which was an absolutely fabulous printer.

My first disappointment was that the Epson "film" material isn't supported by this printer. And printing on it anyway (tried all kinds of settings) results in something far inferior to that material in the 1270.

Second disappointment was that borderless is not supported with the mat paper.

Third, and probably the major, disappointment is that SO FAR I am unable to get anything EQUAL (forget about better) than I was getting with the 1270. I am not a computer/digital novice and I tried all kinds of custom settings. But it is my belief that custom settings should not be required... using default settings should result in a pretty darned good result, and it doesn't. Even tweaking things doesn't give the quality that the 1270 gave me.

I just don't understand it. I had found one RAVE review of this printer on the Internet (can't remember where) and also the sales people in the store I bought from told me that other clients were extremely happy with the 2200. (No idea what printer they had before.)

Does anyone have any suggestions here?

Tim
TD27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2002, 5:44 PM   #3

Default I'm happy with my 2200

I have a 1280, (had a 1270) and bought the 2200 a few days ago. I use a ColorVision calibrator for my monitor. I print from Photoshop or Qimage, and use the Epson drivers for the specific paper I am printing on. In the printers "custom" settings area, I use "No Corrections". All this is outlined in the 2200 manual.

The net of all this is that for the first time I am able to get a print that looks very much like what I see on the screen without going though the tweak steps. To me, that is happiness!

I agree with the limited media part, though. I would like to see more "standard" print sizes, like 11x14.
gkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2002, 10:03 PM   #4

Default Epson 2200 image quality...

Hey Tim,
Would you like to elaborate on the print quality you're getting? The 2200 should be able to give you the same quality, if not better, as the 1280 (or 1270 in your case). It could be a defective unit.
Yes, you are right that Film media can't be used with the printer. The reason is, because they are using Ultra Chrome Ink. The ink is made up of pigments, which doesn't get absorbed on the Film, producing lousy looking pictures. The get the best quality, use matt paper, or luster paper.
Also, you didn't tell what kind of input resolution your pictures are at? If you can elaborate a little but, we might be able to help you out.

- Cyberflaw
cyberflaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2002, 12:05 PM   #5

Gkey: What media are you printing to that you're happy with the results on? Particularly in how they compare with the 1270/1280?

Perhaps I've got a lemon, but I haven't been able to produce anything, on any media or with any settings that are as good as those I get on the 1270.

Cyberflaw: Thanks for your comments and questions. I use both a Nikon 5000 and Canon G2. The Epson 2200 might indeed be a lemon, because there is nothing I have tried yet which gives as good results as my old 1270.

Ok, I've given up on the film, and on the photo quality inkjet paper, both of which I used regularly with the 1270. I've tried Premium Glossy Photo Paper, and Premium Semigloss Photo Paper, Premium Luster Photo Paper and Matte Paper, and I've tried all of those with different settings, both default and customized. I've always gone for the higest quality (2880 dpi). And using the same files, with the same media, everyone I've shown the results to (including my dealer) has chosen the 1270 as the better results.

To say I'm disappointed is an understatment.

I very strongly believe that using the default print settings (with the right media chosen of course and highest quality output) the results should be better or at least as good as those obtained with the 1270. And I'm not getting that.

I'm sure the inks are the issue, but Epson should have some paper that will work in harmony with this new printer. I bought the newest papers from my dealer at the same time as the printer. And now I've invested a small fortune in test prints, and the results are sad.

Even the luster paper (which does produce the best results of the bunch) looks better with the 1270 than 2200.

If I had to pin down the major issue, I'd say it is a lack of contrast or snap in the results of the 2200 compared with the 1270. And of course on anything glossy the new pigment inks aren't absorbed and sort of look like they're sitting on the surface of the paper. Making a very unusual and non-photographic look.

Any advice here?

Thanks very much.

Tim
Old Aug 28, 2002, 1:56 AM   #6

Hey Tim,
Well, looks like you've got a defective unit. This might be a good time to use your warrantee
The 2200 does have some issus with paper, just like the 2000p (which it replaced). While designing the printer, the top priority for Epson was to create a printer capable of meeting or exceeding the quality of 1280. Then their second priority was, "while achiving the quality, we want the prints to last as long as possible" (without paying a fortune, ofcourse). So, the lightfastness is also a drawback- can't use different media. Although, the UltraChrome Ink is better than the archival ink used in 2000p, it's not better than the 1280's.

- Cyberflaw
cyberflaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2002, 4:32 PM   #7

Cyberflaw: Ok, I'll investigate with my dealer to see if I can beg, borrow or steal another 2200 in order to compare with mine. I'll let you all know the results.
Old Sep 2, 2002, 10:41 PM   #8
Administrator

I'm about four days into my testing of a new Epson 2200 and so far it has been all positive.

From some of the forum messages that I had read here and at other sites I was expecting a less then positive experience as this was my first pigment ink printer.

The first print looked almost as good as what I get from my Canon S9000, the colors were rich and vivid. After printing about sixty 8.5x11's, several dozen 4x6's and five 13x19's I have only got two prints that aren't to my satisfaction. These are on a variety of matte, glossy, semigloss and luster papers.

The 2200 is by far the fastest Epson Photo printer I have ever used. It isn't as fast as a Canon S9000/S900 but it's twice as fast as previous Epson dye based printers and probably 200% faster than the 2000P.

The optional matte black ink makes a noticeable difference on matte prints and is highly recommended if doing B&W prints on matte.

I'll be posting a full review in probably a week but I can tell you that it will be quite positive. The 2200 is a winner, the new UltraChrome inks are excellent and do produce similar results to dye based inks.

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2002, 11:24 PM   #9

I've used the Epson Premium Luster/Semigloss/Gloss papers and they all work well to me, and I think I am fairly picky. I don't personally like matte finished very much, so I don't pay a lot of attention to or use them.

The only times I have had a bad print is when I forgot to do the settings right, i.e. not selecting the right printer profile in Photoshop via the "Print with preview" menu, and/or not chosing "No correction" in the custom/advanced settings in the Epson driver. I can't emphasize the importance of these setting enough. I too have spent way too much time and money treaking an image, only to find that the correct "factory" settings are pretty good.

Also, it is very important that you are not being fooled by your monitor. If you tweak an image to look good on a badly calibrated monitor, and then print it, there is no telling what you will get. That is why I mentioned that I use a ColorVision system to calibrate my monitor.

As far as the print quality of the 2200 versus the 1280, There are subtle differences, but to me both are good.

Good luck.
gkey is offline   Reply With Quote