Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Dec 21, 2008, 12:23 PM   #1

I am looking for a commercial quality inkjet that can print 12"x18" architectural drawings quickly and efficiently & occasional color renderings (of 2nd importance). I have had several epson's in the past, and while I like their image quality, I find they get clogged easily and the build quality is not great. As I am looking for a printer for an office environment, I was hoping you guys could weigh in to help me out. Most reviews focus on the color quality and not necessarily the B&W speed and quality. Right now I am leaning towards the HP B9180 because of its enclosed paper tray, network capability & build quality. I think it might be fast at b&w line prints but I can't be sure.
Thanks a lot.
dgrooms is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 22, 2008, 3:40 AM   #2

I have been using a Canon 9900 for CAD drawings (both mono and color). Although dye ink, quality is very good. Prints are made on 11x17 paper for easy reproduction. For more $$, pigmrnt printers are good, but clogging and ink costsare always an issue. I refill the Canon for about a dollar per cartridge, so costs are very low.
paniolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2008, 12:05 PM   #3

How quickly does it print out the 11x17 drawings? And how often do you have to replace the ink?
Old Dec 23, 2008, 1:37 AM   #4

It prints quite quickly and because it is a photo printer, good quality. Only drawback is the dye ink, which runs with water - not a real problem as prints are usually made with a copier.

Ink consumption will depend on frequency of use but have never thought of this printer as being "thirsty".
paniolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2008, 2:55 PM   #5

thanks