Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jan 12, 2009, 6:23 AM   #1

484 replies to the Epson R series ink tank deversion and I have read them all now, whew, breathe, I feel I have read the War and Peace of the forum sect, lol.

Unfortunately I have stillnot found an answer to my problem and its driving me nuts. :?

I have an Epson R210 with a CISS system and now an external ink drain tank . All has been working great the past 18 months but I developed a leak on the Magenta cart ink tube. Noticed air in the tube so I tried raising the CISS bottles in a silly attempt to get the flow going which worked for a short while but caused some leaking. A further look showed the sealing ring appeared damaged so I applied some silicon sealant and it has restortedeverything back fine.

I decided then to clean the ink leakagearoung the cartridges etc witha cotton bud and a little methylated spirit to help remove the dried bits. All was fine but the CD/DVD printingstarted shortly after failing, with a paper jamed message. The paper medium was still working but thisis now failing as well. Power and paper feed lights flashingtogether. The paper loads to theready position and the print head does a carriage return and then the paper loads a further 25 mm and stops. The error message then comes up. If I press the paper button the paper is ejected and a new one loads with the same result.

I have looked for any objects jammed and have seen nothing. I have tried the using the button reset, no change. It will do a Nozzle Head print and that is fine but prints nothing else. I would really appreciated any advice someone my have.

Thanks in advance
Bren33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 14, 2009, 4:05 PM   #2

I hate to say it but I'd say your various fixes have probably resulted in the printer screaming as it heads for the cliff.

Use of silicon sealant probably didn't help the ink reaching the printheads too much and it's also likely that the leakages have ended up in the base of the printer...

My guess is that you've managed to smear or otherwise occlude a sensor in the printer so your best bet is to get hold of the service manual for your model and see if you can figure out where/if there's a problem...

Paper feed issues like this are a bit of a mystery unfortunately so I can't help directly but that's definitely where I'd start off.

Oh and if you do get it going again... Buy a new CIS and start over... The existing one is definitely past it's use-by... Just my opinion mind but it sounds like toast
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2009, 6:57 PM   #3

websnail wrote:
Quote:
I hate to say it but I'd say your various fixes have probably resulted in the printer screaming as it heads for the cliff.

Use of silicon sealant probably didn't help the ink reaching the printheads too much and it's also likely that the leakages have ended up in the base of the printer...

My guess is that you've managed to smear or otherwise occlude a sensor in the printer so your best bet is to get hold of the service manual for your model and see if you can figure out where/if there's a problem...

Paper feed issues like this are a bit of a mystery unfortunately so I can't help directly but that's definitely where I'd start off.

Oh and if you do get it going again... Buy a new CIS and start over... The existing one is definitely past it's use-by... Just my opinion mind but it sounds like toast
Thank you for your reply Websnail,

I totally agree my fixes have so far have added to my printers problems but I have found theold R series Epson is such a good allround printer, great prints, no overspray, handles cd/dvd printing excellent,I hate having to try and find a new equivalant. The R290 does not have good reviews.

It seems to me aswell that the problem is caused by the spilt inkeither covering a sensor on the printing heador shorting a terminal in the printing head. I have downloaded the service manual but it reads similar eitherforwards or backwards.

I have tried cleaning with a lint free cloth with some Windex as per previous posts under the head but no sucess. The difficulty is getting access and knowing where to clean? The silicon did in fact repair the leaking ciss cartridge and no bubbles appear in my supply tubes.

I have started to bid on Ebay for secondhand epson R series printers but there seems to be quite a demand, such that I have been beaten in bidding at the last 4 seconds a few times now. Looks like I have to learn how to work a sniping program now, lol.

thanks again.

Bren33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2009, 2:55 AM   #4

Bren33 wrote:
Quote:
I totally agree my fixes have so far have added to my printers problems but I have found theold R series Epson is such a good allround printer, great prints, no overspray, handles cd/dvd printing excellent,I hate having to try and find a new equivalant. The R290 does not have good reviews.
Quote:
It seems to me aswell that the problem is caused by the spilt ink either covering a sensor on the printing head or shorting a terminal in the printing head. I have downloaded the service manual but it reads similar either forwards or backwards.
In short... like a foreign language... Yeah I can relate to that

Quote:
I have tried cleaning with a lint free cloth with some Windex as per previous posts under the head but no sucess. The difficulty is getting access and knowing where to clean? The silicon did in fact repair the leaking ciss cartridge and no bubbles appear in my supply tubes.
In truth I found the method that works best for me was to:
a) use a cleaning solution (ammoniated from my ink supplier) soaked pad under the printhead
b) install empty cartridges filled with same cleaning solution

Leave the above for a day at a time, swapping out the pad then running a single cleaning routine followed by a nozzle check at the end of each day.. For about 2 or 3 days.

Then with the CIS, reprime it by pulling ink through the cartridges to remove most of the air (but not all!) and any foam build up that was causing ink flow problems.. (Foam is a real pain if it sits near the exit port).

Then reinstall carefully, run a single cleaning routine and nozzle check, leave for a few hours and then print off some 4 or 6 colour purge tests... Usually that solves it with some extra waiting sometimes required.

Quote:
I have started to bid on Ebay for secondhand epson R series printers but there seems to be quite a demand, such that I have been beaten in bidding at the last 4 seconds a few times now. Looks like I have to learn how to work a sniping program now, lol.
Well worth the time and effort ... Check Bid-o-matic as it's free... avoid auction sentry like the plague!!

websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2009, 1:35 PM   #5

Hi
This sounds like the same problem I had and if it has the same cause I think I know the answer.

Underneath the left hand end of the print head carriage is an optical sensor (called PW sensor in the manual). It points downwards and I guess it detects the edge of the paper to position it for printing. It lives in a small plastic compartment on the bottom side of the print head carriage. In my case the sensor and the small circuit board it was mounted on, was saturated with ink. The big problem is how to get at it. I tried cleaning just the sensor from underneath with bent over cotton wool buds soaked in Meths and an inspection mirror (if you try this be very careful to avoid the print heads). No matter how many buds I used they never seemed to to come up clean but the printer decided to work for a couple of days (in which I did quite a number of prints) and then it went back to it's old tricks. I reluctantly decided to dismantle the beast to see if I could get to the bottom of the problem. It was not as bad as I feared.

You remove both ends of the case and the top and then follow the instructions in the manual for "Carriage Unit Removal". I had a real struggle to get the cover off the PW sensor and one of the plastic hooks eventually broke in the process requiring a bit of a bodge to re fasten it firmly. As I said the entire board and connecting cable had ink on them and I washed them in meths. I could have used water but wanted it to dry quickly because I was unsure how long I dared to leave the print heads sat on the bench drying out. Dismantling and re-assembly are fiddly and the pictures in the manual are very poor. The only hazard to it working correctly looked to be a white plastic cam on the right hand end of the "CR guide Shaft". It's positioning looked as though it might be critical so used a marker pen to ensure I could replace it in the same spot. The printer seems to be back to its best again now.

Hope this helps. I spent ages fiddling with the problem myself and trying hints and tips from this forum. I just now joined so that I could reply in thanks for all the help I got here.

I do not know where I got the link to download the manual but I think it was in one of the replies by Idle who seems to be the Epson printer guru around here.

PS my printer is the R200 but I guess it would be much the same

Atticman is offline   Reply With Quote