Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jan 16, 2009, 2:21 AM   #1

I have this printer Canon pixma 4300 have had it two years now so warranty gone and it worked great up until about a month ago all of a sudden my cyan ink wasn`t printing. I did the maintenance on it several times deep cleaning nozzle check everything and the printout shows all the other colours just fine but the cyan it has lines through it I changed cartridges but same thing is happening I am using Canons own ink cartridges which cost a fortune and with all my cleaning will soon have to get more. I have tried to get answers on what to do next I have tried cleaning the head under the cartridge but not sure I am doing it right. Would like to know if you have any ideas.
Does the printer head come out. If so how.
I do hope someone can help me. Thank you
rufus29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 16, 2009, 1:18 PM   #2

You can purchase replacement heads and just swap them in and out easily...

If you remove the cartridges and then lift the grey lever you'll find that the printhead lifts out easily and another can be slotted in.

If you're in the USA they purchase the replacement direct from Canon as they have the best prices there... Whole other story in the UK and elsewhere unfortunately.
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2009, 9:19 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufus29 View Post
I have this printer Canon pixma 4300 have had it two years now so warranty gone and it worked great up until about a month ago all of a sudden my cyan ink wasn`t printing. I did the maintenance on it several times deep cleaning nozzle check everything and the printout shows all the other colours just fine but the cyan it has lines through it I changed cartridges but same thing is happening I am using Canons own ink cartridges which cost a fortune and with all my cleaning will soon have to get more. I have tried to get answers on what to do next I have tried cleaning the head under the cartridge but not sure I am doing it right. Would like to know if you have any ideas.
Does the printer head come out. If so how.
I do hope someone can help me. Thank you
Get another printer that doesn't force you to use there carts that as you already noted "cost a fortune."
kenstogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2009, 8:53 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenstogie View Post
Get another printer that doesn't force you to use there carts that as you already noted "cost a fortune."
Hi isn't forced to use original Canon inks, the IP43/4500 printers have compatible cartridges widely available, or you can buy a chip resetter for $15 and refill the cartridges yourself for about 25c each.
phaedra1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2009, 4:22 PM   #5

If you are almost out of ink your best bet is to buy a new printer. I recently priced an iP4600 online and compared the price to a new set of print cartridges for my iP4300 at Office Depot. It was cheaper to buy the new printer than to replace the cartridges. If you have cartridges to buy, buying a new print head doesn’t calculate. You might try removing the print head and soaking it in ammonia. If you kept your old cartridges there is a cleaning solution you can put in an empty cartridge that might clear the print head.

I’ve refilled my printer cartridges for years, and haven’t had any problems with the iP4300 other than having to hit the reset a couple of times and being warned that my warranty would be invalidated. I haven’t bothered with the chip resetter as I check the ink occasionally and the only advantage is that with the resetter you get ink level indications and no nuisance messages.

All of the printer manufacturers sell their lower end printers at a low markup and make their money on ink refills. Canon is as good as any other brand and better than some for ink cost. If you don’t print often and in small quantities HP can be an advantage because they don’t have to run cleaning cycles. The HP wet docking does drip some ink though. For normal printer use they are all about the same for ink cost, and you absolutely need the chip resetter for Epson printers if you refill – they won’t print at all once the cartridge is almost empty.
If you want to try refilling make sure you get good ink specially formulated for the printer. I’ve had good luck over the years with MIS inks.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote