Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Feb 3, 2009, 4:20 AM   #11

mzms wrote:
Quote:
My Epson R310 is now in the store room, the warranty long expired. When switched on it does the usual warm up process but when it is ready to park the print head it stops just short of parking in the right bay and gives a general error. There is no paper jam and I'm suspecting the spring mechanism of the ink pads in the parking bay may have something to do with it? Yet I cannot find anything wrong at all and the springs are not loose or anything. Could it be a sensor related problem? I have done the whole three button press thing but the error stays and heads won't park. I hope someone who have had a similar problem can help shed some light before I junk it permanently. Thanks in advance!
Hi, just letting you know that i had exactly the same problem with my r310 epson. I also tried all the suggestion that were offered but nothing worked, i ended up pulling it completly apart, cleaned everything, checked all the connectionsand put it back together again (big job). Well it still did the same thing (i was so p--- off) I pulled the top section off again and unscrewed the board under the control buttons so that i could turn the machine on and off without the top hanging. I tried to see if i could spot the problem but no luck. I finaly decided to just leave it in a box as it was, that was about a week ago. Today i thought i would have another try, but the first thing i did was push the ribbon in that connects to the control board to make sure it was in properly and i noticed that it went in just a little further. Then i plugged in the power cord and gave it another shot. Well you can imagine my delight when it worked, the carriage was parking all the way to the right. i have put it back together and it is printing again. Sorry for the long story but maybe your problem is just a bad connection as well. I hope it keeps on going and doesn't die again. Hope this helps Paul
vcvaliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2009, 3:58 AM   #12

vcvaliant wrote:
Quote:
Today i thought i would have another try, but the first thing i did was push the ribbon in that connects to the control board to make sure it was in properly and i noticed that it went in just a little further.
Thanks for sharing that... It sounds a lot like the ribbon cable was the cause and that the R300 models do things differently to the C84 when the sensor at the back of the printhead is not connected properly.

Quick background intro' for those wondering.

Epson inkjets have a small circuit board at the back of the printhead carriage which uses a gradiated plastic strip (lots of thin black lines) and an LED with sensor to determine where the printhead is (sort of like a blindfolded man walking a line and counting steps).

If this sensor is disconnected or faulty, or the strip becomes soiled in some way the printer can get "lost" so you can get errors or behaviour ranging from vertical stripes in output prints to the printhead slamming around like a drunken idiot.

The sensor itself is connected by a thin ribbon cable which pushes into a connector that grips the cable/strip. It can become loose which in turn means the printer gets lost so the solution is to locate the cable at the left/back of the printhead carriage and push it gently but firmly in without folding it.

In the C84 - D88 series if the sensor gets disconnected the printhead goes for the slamming from side to side, very violently. Perhaps the R300 has another way to tell rough location but anyway it would explain why the printer was refusing to carry on if that ribbon was disconnected.
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2009, 5:36 AM   #13

Thanks for the tip Paul, I will pull it apart and clean it, seemed like the black on my CISS was leaking sometime back. I'll check the cables as well as you mentioned. I hope it works again as it really prints absolutely stunning pictures in the highest possible mode, even with cheap ink.
mzms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2009, 8:02 PM   #14

mzms wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the tip Paul, I will pull it apart and clean it, seemed like the black on my CISS was leaking sometime back. I'll check the cables as well as you mentioned. I hope it works again as it really prints absolutely stunning pictures in the highest possible mode, even with cheap ink.
I realy hope this works for you because i know how frustratting this problem is not to mention that if you can't get it to work your ciss unit and the inks are usless, good luck Paul
vcvaliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2009, 9:34 PM   #15

no luck on the r310. anyway, i haven't junked it as it is my only XD-card reader haha. it has now become an oversized card reader!!
mzms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2010, 2:24 AM   #16

Are reading the above post I tried to fix R310. The young fella had pulled the calibration strip I think that is what is called about a year ago. On leave from work so I thought I would give it a go. After a bit of glue and sticky tape had it back together.

Still no luck. Then a noticed a pick rubber band, looked at the above pictures could not see any in thoses. So a gave the printer a good hit, still no luck. Okay time for the shake test. Out comes what looks like a small black roller, now we are getting somewhere one more shake and out comes another. One more shake and all is clear.

I start to look where they could of come from turn the printer so I can see in the back and I see a yellow rubber band with white strips. This is not looking good so out with the chops stickes to try and fish the rubber band out. No luck so another shake test.

Still no luck so it is time to get some tools, the poor printer could be on its last T0491. Having pulled apart as much as a willing at this point in time. I have noticed the little black rollers could be heads to little Lego men and I am starting to think both rubber bands could be for the wifes hair. I did ask her when I first found the pink one, but I cannot find anywhere in the printer they might have come from.

My next step is to relace the calibration strip which has some black marks on it or has the printer suffered enough?

PS That is if a can find one for sale.

FYI Next time a pull the printer apart I will not undo the 4 screws holding the control panel on.
Dcasper is offline   Reply With Quote