Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jan 26, 2009, 4:13 PM   #1

My Epson R310 is now in the store room, the warranty long expired. When switched on it does the usual warm up process but when it is ready to park the print head it stops just short of parking in the right bay and gives a general error. There is no paper jam and I'm suspecting the spring mechanism of the ink pads in the parking bay may have something to do with it? Yet I cannot find anything wrong at all and the springs are not loose or anything. Could it be a sensor related problem? I have done the whole three button press thing but the error stays and heads won't park. I hope someone who have had a similar problem can help shed some light before I junk it permanently. Thanks in advance!
mzms is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 27, 2009, 2:53 AM   #2

zms wrote:
Quote:
My Epson R310 is now in the store room, the warranty long expired. When switched on it does the usual warm up process but when it is ready to park the print head it stops just short of parking in the right bay and gives a general error. There is no paper jam and I'm suspecting the spring mechanism of the ink pads in the parking bay may have something to do with it? Yet I cannot find anything wrong at all and the springs are not loose or anything. Could it be a sensor related problem? I have done the whole three button press thing but the error stays and heads won't park. I hope someone who have had a similar problem can help shed some light before I junk it permanently. Thanks in advance!
Chances are the white plastic part which holds the sort of "wiper blade" is the root of your problems... This springs up out of position in my C8x printers when it gets really tacky with ink but I've also noticed that on one printer the wiper was pulled out of position and got itself in such a way that the printhead would jam up against it...

If you can take a reasonable high definion picture of the right side of the printhead (with the printhead moved out of the way) and post up a link I can take a look and see if anything obvious pops out as being the cause.

Hope that helps though...

Martin
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2009, 3:46 AM   #3

thanks, will do so asap.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 6:31 PM   #4

Hi Martin,
Here are some photos I took of the parking area. Thanks for any help, appreciate it!
http://picasaweb.google.com/mYsarawa...y=a7K1a5MPwEA#
Old Jan 27, 2009, 9:53 PM   #5

:sad:Hi, this is my first time on a forum so please be patient with me. I also have that dredded general error message on my epson r310and the carriage doesn't park in the right place after it goes through the start up cycle. I have done every thing thats been sugested on this forum but no luck. I pulled the printer apart completly and cleaned all the pads and any other ink i found and put the printer back togeather but still have the problem. I read that it could be the dirty reflectors but i don't know where they are to clean,can any body please help me slove the problem and if possible send some pics so i know what to look for? Thanks vcvaliant (paul)
vcvaliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2009, 2:43 AM   #6

Ok... from looking at the photos it looks like my theory on the wiper, etc... may be wrong in so much as the R300 is different in design compared to the C8x models.

It does still look like there's something in that area that's causing the problem though... Can you tell me if the printer is making any screeching or "odd" noises when it tries to get the printhead carriage into the parked position?

Old Jan 28, 2009, 2:57 AM   #7

Further to all of this... I had a thought

Does your printhead do a heavy "clunk" when it moves to the left before it tries to get into the parked position?

If so, then chances are there's a little circuit board and sensor at the back of the printer which may have come loose, or the ribbon cable that plugs into it has worked it's way free.

Beyond that, check that the calibration strip along the back of the printer is clean and still attached.

Still mulling this one over for other ideas...
Old Jan 28, 2009, 3:39 AM   #8

websnail wrote:
Quote:
Further to all of this... I had a thought

Does your printhead do a heavy "clunk" when it moves to the left before it tries to get into the parked position?

If so, then chances are there's a little circuit board and sensor at the back of the printer which may have come loose, or the ribbon cable that plugs into it has worked it's way free.

Beyond that, check that the calibration strip along the back of the printer is clean and still attached.

Still mulling this one over for other ideas...
Hi, i know that you are trying to help mzms with his problem, i have the exact same problem as explained in my previous post and the same printer epson r310. If you fix his then the odds are mine will be the same. My printer does not do a heavy clunck it is quite smooth and i have checked all the things you have suggested but they are all ok. Hopfully you will figure it out, I will check every now and again on the forum to see if you have come up with any new ideas. I hope this is ok with you, thanks vcvaliant (paul)
Old Jan 28, 2009, 4:02 AM   #9

vcvaliant wrote:
Quote:
Hi, i know that you are trying to help mzms with his problem, i have the exact same problem as explained in my previous post and the same printer epson r310. If you fix his then the odds are mine will be the same. My printer does not do a heavy clunck it is quite smooth and i have checked all the things you have suggested but they are all ok. Hopfully you will figure it out, I will check every now and again on the forum to see if you have come up with any new ideas. I hope this is ok with you, thanks vcvaliant (paul)
Not a problem at all... If we can kill two problems with one solution then all to the good
Old Feb 2, 2009, 8:10 PM   #10

websnail wrote:
Quote:
vcvaliant wrote:
Quote:
Not a problem at all... If we can kill two problems with one solution then all to the good
Hi, i am just wondering if anyone has managed to solve this problem of the 310 epson not parking in the right possition at start up? I have mine pulled apart in a box and i don't know wether to throw it out or not. I hope some oneout there is still trying to solve the problem. If anyone has any idea please let me know, thanks Paul