Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jan 29, 2009, 11:42 AM   #1

As of right now i have a Canon ip4200 inkjet printer, but i want to buy a new printer and am wondering if inkjet, laser, or dry sub are the best ones. I wouldn't mind paying the extra, also which model thank you
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 30, 2009, 3:50 AM   #2

hercules wrote:
Quote:
As of right now i have a Canon ip4200 inkjet printer, but i want to buy a new printer and am wondering if inkjet, laser, or dry sub are the best ones. I wouldn't mind paying the extra, also which model thank you
Blimey... well the iP4200 successor the iP4500 is still available as refurb in some places so if you liked the 4200 and want something with a bit more zing then this would do it.

That said... you've left your specification very open ended... You really need to provide a bit more intel on what you want to use it for.. letters, photos, printing on to transfer material for pressing onto t-shirts/mugs, etc...

Dye (not dry ) sub or Dye Sublimation ink is used for the mug printing side of things is highly expensive and to be avoided unless you really need it.. It also requires a cold inkjet process (eg: Peizo electric - Epson) as the ink activates with heat.

As for laser or inkjet, it really comes back to what you want it for, whether it's for colour or whatever... the list is veerrrry long
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2009, 4:55 AM   #3

websnail wrote:
Quote:
hercules wrote:
Quote:
Blimey... well the iP4200 successor the iP4500 is still available as refurb in some places so if you liked the 4200 and want something with a bit more zing then this would do it.

That said... you've left your specification very open ended... You really need to provide a bit more intel on what you want to use it for.. letters, photos, printing on to transfer material for pressing onto t-shirts/mugs, etc...

Dye (not dry ) sub or Dye Sublimation ink is used for the mug printing side of things is highly expensive and to be avoided unless you really need it.. It also requires a cold inkjet process (eg: Peizo electric - Epson) as the ink activates with heat.

As for laser or inkjet, it really comes back to what you want it for, whether it's for colour or whatever... the list is veerrrry long
I would only use the printer for color or B/W photos, but i heard that the Dye Sub printers are the best there is just wanted to know how true that is, i found a brand new Olympus P-440 Dye Sub for 350.00 euro.
Old Jan 31, 2009, 5:24 AM   #4

hercules wrote:
Quote:
websnail wrote
I would only use the printer for color or B/W photos, but i heard that the Dye Sub printers are the best there is just wanted to know how true that is, i found a brand new Olympus P-440 Dye Sub for 350.00 euro.
Ah... I'm afraid I don't have any info on that but I'm not convinced that dyesub is necessarily what you need for photos. I'd look around on some of the other forums and newsgroups and see if some of the photo enthusiast folks can provide help...

Prepare yourself for a lot of disagreement though... everyone has their own opinion and favourite
Old Jan 31, 2009, 5:27 AM   #5

websnail wrote:
Quote:
hercules wrote:
Quote:
websnail wrote
Ah... I'm afraid I don't have any info on that but I'm not convinced that dyesub is necessarily what you need for photos. I'd look around on some of the other forums and newsgroups and see if some of the photo enthusiast folks can provide help...

Prepare yourself for a lot of disagreement though... everyone has their own opinion and favourite
Well i changed my mind i don't want a Dye Sub now, so my choice is down to the new canon ip4600 or the epson R800, i just want one that prints great photos
Old Jan 31, 2009, 7:59 AM   #6

hercules wrote:
Quote:
Well i changed my mind i don't want a Dye Sub now, so my choice is down to the new canon ip4600 or the epson R800, i just want one that prints great photos
If you can I would get a Canon iP4500 rather than the iP4600.. I don't know about Greece but in the UK the best place to get one is on ebay from the Canon Store which sells refurbished units.

I can't comment on the R800 as I've never used one but someone should be able to help with info on that...

Hope that helps.
Old Jan 31, 2009, 9:02 AM   #7

websnail wrote:
Quote:
hercules wrote:
Quote:
If you can I would get a Canon iP4500 rather than the iP4600.. I don't know about Greece but in the UK the best place to get one is on ebay from the Canon Store which sells refurbished units.

I can't comment on the R800 as I've never used one but someone should be able to help with info on that...

Hope that helps.
Is there a particular reason why to choose the 4500 over the 4600? does it give better prints, also do you have the site to the canon store thanks again
Old Jan 31, 2009, 4:58 PM   #8

The 4500 is easily refilled and the chip may be reset (if you choose to). The 4600 uses a new (smaller capacity) cartridge. Could probably refill, but most likely also has a new chip that may, or may not be able to be reset. Since it is a new cartridge, not much experience with it.
paniolo is offline   Reply With Quote