Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Feb 10, 2009, 2:20 PM   #1

I've just replaced my dead IP4500 with an Epson R285 as I was not happy with the new IP4600 both in speed and print quality. The epson is both a little faster and much more detailed in it's photo printing with the SAME photo and SAME Fuji photo paper. My question to R285 owners (especially recent printers) is where do you guys get your compatible inks and are you happy with the output ?
I used to get my canon in from 7day shop and was very happy with it but I see the epson compatibles are about £2.99 each where the genuins are only £5.79 (these were for the black). This is more than half the price I may as well stick with the genuins from epson. I see http://www.prink.co.uk/ink-cartridge.../epsonr285.htm do a complete 7ink set (2 blacks T0801) £13.95 and they saythat thier new V4 cartridges are gauranteed to work with new and old models, I was just wondering if anybody has used them?

Thanks.
stevvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 11, 2009, 10:42 AM   #2

Truly horrible printer I bought 3, oneto use with CISS from 3000rpm in scotland, all 3 have now died. The 2 that only used genuine Epson carts had the same problem as the CISS, black would print in light/dark bands about 10mm/15mm and needed 3 or 4 head cleans to get them going again. Eventually they stopped all together. Epson have a local service centre so I took them there each time one died, they verified all were faulty and Epson sent replacements to me.

Now 2 months later and the first replacement has started with the same problem, only gen. Epson inks being used and very little use (about 20 A4 photos) as I have 2 Canon 4500s I use for most jobs. The Epson tech said they had lot's of problems with them the older 200 and 220 series seemed to last a lot longer.

I actually find the Canons give a better print, but they don't like Fuji or Kodak paper. Ilford Gallerie Pearl or Epsons Premium Glossy work well though

If you want to refill (much cheaper) there's a seller on Ebay with ARC chipped carts (self-resetting) for about £12. Also worth doing the waste tank mod to save yourself grief later, the amount of ink wasted during a cleaning cycle is gob smacking!.

UKDVDR do Projet compats at £1.21 each or burn-media.co.uk do sets for under £12

In the US I believe the same printer is called the R300 so others here may have more info.

phaedra1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2009, 11:11 AM   #3

Cheers for the reply, I would agree that the older canon models IP4500 give the same quality print but the newer ip4600 has mush less nozzles and it's nocible. I have in front of me 3 print's of the same photo and the IP4600 stands out as less defined than the other 2. Thats the only reason i went from canon to epson, canon have truly taken a step back with the ip4600. The epson is painfully slow printing onto DVD/CD's the canon would print a CD in about 45 seconds but took about 1 minute to change over from Paper to CD. The epson prints the CD/DVD in about 2 minutes with almost NO time to change over. And the TDK coated CD's I have tried the epson looks MUCH better but did require a few hours to dry properly whereas the canon dried in under half an hour.
stevvie is offline   Reply With Quote