Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Feb 20, 2009, 3:30 AM   #1

Hi, i have finaly got my epson R310 to work again so i thought i would try and print on some of my cd's but i have run into a problem. After setting up the image inEpson CD Printi open the cdlid and align the cd tray with the marks then i start to print but what happens is the print head goes left then right then the tray is taken into the printerwhen it goes in all the waythe print head aligns itself over the cd the tray will move back about 1 inch (25mm) the pint head then moves to the left about 2 inches and then returns to the park position at the same time the cd tray is being ejected from the printer and i get the error message "The CD/DVD tray is not set right" Can anyone tell me what i am doing wrong ? The manual only has half a page on cd printing and is pretty usless. Any ideas please let me know. Thanks Paul
vcvaliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 28, 2009, 9:19 PM   #2

Two suggestions:

1: These printers rely on the outside set of rollers to start the tray moving and they're not really up to the task — often they spin for a while before the tray starts to move, which results in it not being where the head sensor expects to find it and you get an error.

Fix: As the rollers start to turn, apply gentle finger pressure to ensure the tray engages with the rollers.

Sometimes cleaning the underside of the tray with alcohol works for a while, but the glaze soon returns — I long ago resigned myself to always needing to give the tray a nudge. Mine also won't fully eject — once the last rollers take over the tray stops and has to be pulled free.

2: If the preceding fix/workaround doesn't work, the sensor under the ink carrier may need cleaning.

Also make sure the white marks on the tray are clean and undamaged.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2009, 1:50 AM   #3

Idle wrote:
Quote:
Two suggestions:

1: These printers rely on the outside set of rollers to start the tray moving and they're not really up to the task — often they spin for a while before the tray starts to move, which results in it not being where the head sensor expects to find it and you get an error.

Fix: As the rollers start to turn, apply gentle finger pressure to ensure the tray engages with the rollers.

Sometimes cleaning the underside of the tray with alcohol works for a while, but the glaze soon returns — I long ago resigned myself to always needing to give the tray a nudge. Mine also won't fully eject — once the last rollers take over the tray stops and has to be pulled free.

2: If the preceding fix/workaround doesn't work, the sensor under the ink carrier may need cleaning.

Also make sure the white marks on the tray are clean and undamaged.
Hi Idle, Thanks for your reply I tried all the easy fixes first but had no luck, in the end i had no choice but to do as you said and check the PW sensor under the ink carrier. I have pulled this machine apart a number of times now so i am getting to be an expert. Once i got the ink carrier off the shaft i noticed that there was a lot ink around the sensor so pulled it apart and cleand it, I finally put the printer togeather and was real proud of myself. Now came the test run well i nearly broke down in tears because after the printer went through its start up procedure I got the dreded "genral error" message again. I have checked all the connections and every thing is in its place, I got it to go twice but as soon as i turned the printer off and on again the problem returned and now it is pursisting, I have no idea why the ink carrier fails to go all the way to the right in the parking position it just stops about 5 cm short.At the moment it is in pieces in a box, it is very hard to fix a problem when you realy do not know what is causing it. Please if you have any ideas let me know as my next step will be to drive the car over it Thanks Paul
Old Mar 4, 2009, 7:04 PM   #4

If you got it to work even a couple of times then the problem is most likely not firmware related.

It can be an intermittent contact, something too tight causing a motor overload, a sensor on its way out — or something else entirely — these are temperamental dam' things...
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2009, 8:53 PM   #5

Idle wrote:
Quote:
If you got it to work even a couple of times then the problem is most likely not firmware related.

It can be an intermittent contact, something too tight causing a motor overload, a sensor on its way out — or something else entirely — these are temperamental dam' things...
Hi Idle, thanks again for your reply. You are spot on with them being tempramental and your right about the problem too. The only thing i can see which could be the problem is i noticed that the little connectors on thePanel FFC ( white ribbon) which goes from the main board to the panel board (LCD screen) are breaking up from all the connecting and disconnecting at the Panel board side. The odds are that when i push this connector back in some of the little silver parts are not making a good connection. I cann't buy one from anywere so i thought i would try to find a cheap second hand one on ebay and use it for parts. I will keep you informed of the outcome as this is now me against the printer and i do not want the printer to win. Thanks Paul

Back again, just thought i would let you know that i have tracked the ribbon i need from a spare parts place so i should have it going early next week. I will keep you informed. Paul