Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Oct 25, 2003, 8:12 AM   #1

Default advice on how to avoid clogged jets

I use my inkjet printer on an infrequent basis. I can go weeks between uses because I only use it for photographs. I have had problems with clogged jets. Does anyone have advice? I want to upgrade to an i960 but don't want to spend the money if I will continue to have the same problem
robertmconnected is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 25, 2003, 11:09 AM   #2

The only printer I used and still have that has not had a clogged head is the ancient venerable HP1120c. It has been banging out reams of paper for many years without a problem. (but the print head is built into the ink carts so you replace it with each new ink cart)

My old canon and both my current Epsons have had their share of clogs.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2003, 12:26 PM   #3

So -

Have people with recent vintage Canon printers experienced nozzle clogs?

And if so, can they be fatal, like with Epsons?
oldabelincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2003, 4:26 PM   #4

The usual causes of Epson head clogging are 1) not turning the printer off at the printer power control (the heads park where they are instead of in the park station which is designed to minimize ink evaporation) and 2) leaving the printer off for long periods of time. I have two Epson printers currently. I use one a lot (2200) and one occasionally (1270). I make it my practice to turn the 1270 on at least once every two weeks. Except when I broke these rules, I have never had a clogged head on an Epson printer -- and I've owned about 7 over the last 10 years...

<TED>

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterP
The only printer I used and still have that has not had a clogged head is the ancient venerable HP1120c. It has been banging out reams of paper for many years without a problem. (but the print head is built into the ink carts so you replace it with each new ink cart)

My old canon and both my current Epsons have had their share of clogs.
tedj101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2003, 10:54 AM   #5

I agree with Ted, only time the epsons have cloged was when I have not turned them on for several weeks.

And NONE of the clogges were fatal, all were fairly easily cleared with the epson printer maintenance routines.

I can't speak for current generation canons, the older ones I had did clog but not fatally. The only printer I ever had to replace a printhead on was an old canon where the head reached the end of its life. The head cost 90$cdn at the time, I think the printer new was 150$cdn :lol:
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2003, 9:12 PM   #6

Hi there,

I have a Canon S820D which I primarly use for photos. I run the nozzle test once a week if I haven't used the printer just to keep the ink flowing. This method uses very little ink compared to the clean routines. If you're having minor clogging, try wiping the head with isopropyl alcohol and a cotton swab.

Good Luck!
hpatlik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2003, 3:12 AM   #7

I have a Canon i950 whick I use a lot for printing photos and it does an excellent job and have not had a single problem with it. I have an older Epson which deposits ink on the paper advance rollers and makes a mess out of most text print jobs unless several pieces of paper are run through prior to printing. Never again with Epson. Hope this helps, Mike
Mike Haywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2003, 6:47 AM   #8
lg

Ditto on the turn off after use and don't leave on for days without use. Good suggestions. Mike Haywood, sorry you had problems with Epson. I've had 4, and won't buy anything else; for me, they've been the best printers I have ever used! I'll never buy another Canon because they refused to honor the warranty and charged me $3/min for telephone support! Food for thought...
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2003, 12:58 PM   #9

Default Clogged heads

Currently I have an Epson 830 connected to my photo computer and an HP3822 connected to my "old" general computer. The HP never seems to cause any problems but the Epson sometimes did if I do not use it about once a fortnight. All I do now to minimize any head trouble on the Epson is print out a small colourful photo on standard inkjet paper every week or so. Since I have started this routine I have never had any further problems with the Epson either. :roll:
geoff.rio is offline   Reply With Quote