Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Mar 22, 2009, 4:39 PM   #1

could use advice , have epson stylus c46 that was working perfect , [ I only use black as use for words only ] suddenly stopped ,red light flashing ,would not move when pressed , also know plenty of ink as new cart.last week and only printed small letter. I know printer old ,but as new, and have 16 spare cartriges for it ,tried a program to try and reset epson internal counter , but only goes as low as c50.
help appreciated , as disabled and housebound , [ in scotland ] 123z
123z is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 23, 2009, 8:55 AM   #2

123z wrote:
Quote:
could use advice , have epson stylus c46 that was working perfect , [ I only use black as use for words only] suddenly stopped ,red light flashing ,would not move when pressed , also know plenty of ink as new cart.last week and only printed small letter. I know printer old ,but as new, and have 16 spare cartriges for it ,tried a program to try and reset epson internal counter , but only goes as low as c50.
help appreciated , as disabled and housebound , [ in scotland] 123z
It's likely that your printer has run out of one of the other colour inks as they will still get used up regardless of the amount of black only printing you're doing.

If you can fire up the status monitor for your printer and check the ink levels that should tell you straight away if that's the problem.

If it is, it'll be a case of a new colour cartridge... You may want to consider getting a resetter and a refill kit though. In fact you could probably get away with filling the colour cartridge with distilled water instead of ink but it would mean you'd never use it for colour again.

To be hones though, my long term advice would be to invest in a cheap mono laser and use that... A lot more forgiving of non-use and you're not wasting money on colour cartridges you're not using.

Hope that helps.
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2009, 2:19 PM   #3

thanks websnail for taking time to answer, problem ,3 colour cartriuge shows 1/2 full for last 2 years since I reset printer to print in black only , the way that the machine suddenly stopped and finding out that epson has a internal counter to make the printer stop , makes me mad , especially finding out on russian website that the counter can be reset by epson dealer. only had it 3 years or so and gave away my previous c42 spare inks to charity.
there must be a way to reset , anyone know?
123z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2009, 6:47 AM   #4

123z wrote:
Quote:
thanks websnail for taking time to answer, problem ,3 colour cartriuge shows 1/2 full for last 2 years since I reset printer to print in black only , the way that the machine suddenly stopped and finding out that epson has a internal counter to make the printer stop , makes me mad , especially finding out on russian website that the counter can be reset by epson dealer. only had it 3 years or so and gave away my previous c42 spare inks to charity.
there must be a way to reset , anyone know?
Ah... ok... I did wonder if you meant a protection (waste ink) reset but figured you were referring to something else. This is a bit more up my street though so hopefully this lot will help...

Right... first things first... there's a copy of the adjustment utility here or here**
**Make sure you scan it for trojans, malware, viruses, etc... !!

Use that to reset the waste ink counter as it'll do more than the SSC utility can.

Once you've done that you'll need to decide how to redirect the waste ink or simple clean/replace the pads in the base of the printer. I have the service manual which I can send you if you PM (private message) me with an email address that will accept an attachment.

From looking at the service manual though it's just a case of removing the top case and the tube/pads are easily found and dealt with.

Cheers
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote