Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old May 5, 2009, 9:24 PM   #1

I am looking to purchase a new printer. I would rather not spend above $500 for it. I currently own a color laser as well as a Sony Dye-Sub printer for my 4x6 photos.

I have gone around and around with myself between one of the Canons and the Epson R1900 printers. Everyone has an opinion on the Epson's clogging and the cost of ink. I am not concerned with the cost of ink or paper. Which one prints better photos?

If I were to use manufacturer ink and manufacturer paper to print photographs which one produces better photos? Do I go with the Epson and the pigment ink or the Canon that is in my price range and the dye inks?

I do not live anywhere near places where I can see the quality of the printers. Could ya'll share your knowlege of what the output looks like and which one would be the best?? Right now I can purchase the Epson R1900 for $350 - which makes it a little tougher to compare apples to apples with the $500 Canon Pro9000.

Help please??
LookieWhatIDid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 19, 2009, 10:10 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookieWhatIDid View Post
I do not live anywhere near places where I can see the quality of the printers. Could ya'll share your knowlege of what the output looks like and which one would be the best?? Right now I can purchase the Epson R1900 for $350 - which makes it a little tougher to compare apples to apples with the $500 Canon Pro9000.
Personally, I would go for Epson, as I found the colour is brighter (from a few past cheapish Canon and Epson colour inkjets)

Epson R1900 for $350!? That's really cheap. I would've got that one straight had I known where it is available.

As for myself, I am thinking about getting an Epson Stylus Photo 1410 (same A3 as R1900) due to its price.
The 1410 uses Epson Claria Photographic Ink (6 colours, dye) which is said to be very bright, and Epson claims it will last 98 years in frame and 200 years in album.
the R1900 uses Epson Ultra Chrome Hi-Gloss2 (8 colours, pigment ink)

When you say manufacturer paper, do you mean Epson or Canon's photography paper? Personally, I found many photography paper (e.g. Kodak or non-brand names) produce pretty good results, however testing is recommended.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 11:03 PM   #3

I got the Epson 1400 with the Claria dye based inks and am pretty happy with the photos!
old photo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2009, 7:50 AM   #4

I haven't done any side-by-side comparisons of the printers, but, based on my experience with the R1800, I would have no qualms at all about rcommending the R1900. The clogging issue just hasn't been a problem for me at all. On two occasions, after not using the printer for up to two months, I have had to do cleanings, and that was all it took. I use only OEM cartridges, though, and suspect that many people who report problems, don't.
Color and resolution are superb ( a word I very seldom use about anything). The prints I get are better than from a lab, and if something does happen to turn out not quite right, I can correct it immediately.
The only negative point I have is that it can be difficult to get good greyscale from this printer (and the R1900 as well, from what I hear).

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote