Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Aug 1, 2002, 2:43 AM   #1

Default Canon S9000 or Olympus P-400?

I'm interested to know what people think of these two dye-sub printers. Which is the better printer? I have a Sony DSC-85 4.1 megapixel camera...shooting mostly 4X6 but would LOVE to do some 8X10's. Thanks for the input!
DaKine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 1, 2002, 2:59 AM   #2

The Canon S9000 is an inkjet, not a dye sub printer.
Chris R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2002, 7:09 AM   #3

If this will be only printer 9000, but have seen pics by the 400, outstanding. do not print enough pics to justify a picture only type. Have more fun doing slide shows with them.
Gary
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2002, 10:34 AM   #4
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by DaKine
I'm interested to know what people think of these two dye-sub printers. Which is the better printer? I have a Sony DSC-85 4.1 megapixel camera...shooting mostly 4X6 but would LOVE to do some 8X10's. Thanks for the input!

Well, you've already been informed that the S9000 is an inkjet, not a dye sub.

The Oly P400 can not do 8x10" prints, close but not real "put them in an 8x10 frame" 8x10" prints. This irritated a lot of folks that bought them after Oly had claimed it was an 8x10" dye sub printer in their press release info. The actual printing size is 7.64" x 10" maximum.

See my review for all the dope:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/p400.html

I would also recommend the S9000 as it is a good color printer for everything, not just photos. The P400's consumable cost is quite high with the dye sub ribbon cartridge and the special paper. And the first time you print out a 13x19" print on the S9000 you'll really be glad that you bought it !

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2002_...non_s9000.html

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2002, 10:35 AM   #5

DaKine,

Following on from Gary's comment, the Olympus is a dye sub printer which can print (I think) 6x4 and 10x8 only. It can only print photographs, not text.

The Canon S9000 is a wide carriage injet printer which can print up to 13x9 (or larger?). It can print text and graphics as well as photos, although it is designed primarily as a photo printer.

Dye subs produce better quality and longer lasting prints than inkjets. However, print speeds are slower and costs per print are higher.

If you seriously want a dye sub, also look at the new HiTi range which is very cheap and starting to generate a lot of interest.

Chris
Chris R is offline   Reply With Quote