Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jun 4, 2009, 4:54 PM   #1

Default Epson R200 Paper loading problem

My wonderful Epson Stylus Photo R200 is giving me an error message when printing on greeting card papers. The paper tries to feed but fails and if it does manage to be picked up it sends it right through.

The error message is "Paper not loaded correctly. Close the CD/DVD guide and press continue".

I have cleaned the rollers as directed in the manual - with a brush. I have opened and closed the CD/DVD tray.

I have the heavy paper stock option checked.

Once in a while I can get it to feed. Once in a while I can hold the paper just right and it will feed. But now nothing seems to work.

I'm thinking it is a sensor that needs cleaning.

Does anyone else have this problem
sailprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 4, 2009, 11:35 PM   #2

Is your printer able to pick up normal paper?

Try checking again and make sure that CD/DVD tray is closed completely.
Old Jun 5, 2009, 9:10 AM   #3

Default Epson R200

Yes, normal paper picks up nicely. Yes, the CD tray seems to be closed securely. I open and close it with no result.

I have printed on a variety of greeting card papers with success. This problem seems to happen occasionally,when I am printing in quantity, but I have always been able to make it print, sometimes feeding by hand.

I have also had this problem on my Epson R1800.

Why after printing successfully, I haven't a clue except perhaps cleaning, but normal paper prints fine. I clean with a brush on the R200 and a moist cloth on the R1800 as directed. Doesn't help.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 6:28 PM   #4

Default More on my problem

Would appreciate any suggestions...

My problem with the R200 seems to concern the greeting card papers I am using since regular bond paper feeds just fine. I have the heavy weight option checked in the Epson printer preferences. Epson responds with my 60# paper exceeds their specs. However I don't have any problem with Epson ultra premium presentation paper matte 8x10, 11x14 or 13x10.

I have cleaned, and cleaned again. Have done a lot more checking on various forums. Found that matte paper seems to cause considerable problems for Epson printers. Seems to leave residue, fibers ? on the rollers.

One forum suggested it was Staples double sided matte paper...which I am using.

I'm not clear on exactly how I clean the rubber? rollers, or what I use. Alcohol, water, Windex.

Would hope to get feedback from anyone here on solving the problem.

I think I will use Red River Papers from now on, since I have a big art card project to complete.

I also have an R1800 which does the same thing, but I will try using the rear manual feed which I learned about in this forum. I really like the R200 and would like to solve the problem with the feed.

Any thoughts there would be appreciated.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 4:40 PM   #5

Default I have a solution

Maybe everyone in the world knows this. I found an answer to my problem. Found it in a couple of forums from the UK.

It is because I'm using double sided matte paper that I have this problem. This apparently leaves considerable residue on the feed rollers.

Cleaning advice from Epson didn't solve the problem for me.

The advice I found is to use alcohol and a scotch brite scrubber. I lightly sprayed alcohol on the edge of the scotchbrite scrubber. Placed it in the feed tray and pressed the paper button. In the process of trying to feed this very heavy scrubber into the printer, the roller were nicely cleaned of the residue that was keeping the paper from feeding. I had to keep the scotchbrite from feeding into the printer and pull it firmly back.

Printed all afternoon without a problem and even though this is not a recommended procedure I will use it when needed.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 11:00 AM   #6

Thanks for sharing the answer. I hope my R230 won't run into this problem.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 7:36 AM   #7

Default r200 paper feeding

Hi,I had the same problem as others ieaper not feeding or having to give it a little push so that it would take but i used a small wire brush to sort it.Ijust press the middle button and hold the brush on the rubber roller afew times and it seems ok for now.It sounds a bit clumsy and maybe harsh but it works for me.Good luck
robbo_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2010, 12:33 PM   #8

Default R200 Paper Feed Problem

I had problems with 6" x 4" Photographic paper feeding; taking out the paper and using a computer screen "wet wipe" I cleaned the rubber roller that grabs the paper from the paper feeder, now works OK!
JonOsborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2010, 8:00 AM   #9

hi,

experiencing similar paper feed problems with my Epson 415 and doubled sided matt paper (170 gsm).

Sometimes the paper will feed and be rolled right the way through, other times it will partially insert (about 4-5cm) and the rest of the time is doesnt feed at all.

not sure about the cleaning of rollers as descrobed above as there is so much plastic in the way (with my eopson 415) that i cant actually see what i could clean.

the only method that works for me is insert 1 page into the feeder at a time- this is an obvious pain if you are doing multiple prints (like i am!).

I sailprice suggests, i think the problem must be with the double sided matt as it feeds fine with standard paper. Morale of the story is, dont use double sided matt (I;ve found that it gets too saturated on the first printed side to take another side anyway!)
sairlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2010, 1:24 PM   #10

Default Thanks for the tip

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonOsborne View Post
I had problems with 6" x 4" Photographic paper feeding; taking out the paper and using a computer screen "wet wipe" I cleaned the rubber roller that grabs the paper from the paper feeder, now works OK!
Wet wipe worked a treat (I used an old KFC clean-up wipe my wife steals ... I mean collects for occasions just like this one) and my Epson R220 is happily humming away beside me
I love the interweb! Thanks for the tip.
maindow is offline   Reply With Quote