Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jun 11, 2009, 7:25 PM   #1

Default Inexpensive Printer

Looking for a printer. Here's the criteria....
-No Chip in cart or easy to workaround it
-under 150 or 100 would be better
-hopefully good quality.
-speed not to important
-carts that don't cost half a mortgage payment.

Thanks!!!

* i did the search thing but no luck. Feel free to point me in the right direction if there's already a good thread on the subject
kenstogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 13, 2009, 9:20 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenstogie View Post
Looking for a printer. Here's the criteria....
-No Chip in cart or easy to workaround it
-under 150 or 100 would be better
-hopefully good quality.
-speed not to important
-carts that don't cost half a mortgage payment.

Thanks!!!

* i did the search thing but no luck. Feel free to point me in the right direction if there's already a good thread on the subject
To best of my knowledge, there are plenty of third party tools to re-set counting chips on the ink cartridges. Which I take that you are considering using refills or modify it to CIS system.

When you say 'good quality', are you looking for vivid bright colours as in photo printing? or you want a good colour output for general printing?

If you plan on using it for good bright photo quality, you should consider inkjet with minimum of 6-ink colours and use photo paper.

If you just want 'good' colour output for general prints but the actual colour is not critical, my best recommendation is to get a colour laser printer. It's cheaper in long run, plus very good colour output in just plain paper.

P.S. I once hanged a few photos printed out from a colour laser printer (on normal A4 photocopy paper, and framed). No one actually noticed the prints was printed by colour laser. Two months later, I printed the same photos using photo paper from a 6-colour inkjet printer. Colours were so bright. The conclusion? Simply don't display colour laser outputs next to photo quality inkjet's output, and don't invite professional friends over and you will be fine.

Just my two cents.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 10:37 PM   #3

Thanks!
kenstogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2009, 1:28 AM   #4

If it is to be a general purpose printer that is also capable of decent photo prints you need one with a large pigmented black cartridge. Pure 6 color photo printers in that price range mix colors to get black, so text isn’t great and is quite expensive to print.

A good printer for general purpose use is the Canon iP4600. It does have chips but you can use the printer reset button with a warning you will lose warranty protection. You can then either just put up with no level indications or pay fifteen bucks for a chip resetter. I’m basing that on refilling my iP4300, but I think it is still the same. Text is excellent with the large pigmented black cartridge and photo prints are quite good.

I don’t quite understand the dual requirement for no chips and inexpensive factory cartridges. If you want to get around the chips what does it matter what factory ink carts cost? They are all pricey if you use factory carts.

For refilling, Epsons stop printing when the chips calculate they are almost empty. You need the resetter. Canons let you bypass but you get the warranty void and lose ink level indications. I refilled my chipped HPs in the past with no problems – there was even a workaround for the ink level. I don’t know about current models.

HP puts new heads in the carts so you can only get “remanufactured” carts, where you can get cheaper aftermarket new carts for Epson and Canon.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2009, 7:56 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipe View Post
For refilling, Epsons stop printing when the chips calculate they are almost empty. You need the resetter.
I have two Epsons, and both allow printing until the cart runs dry. The status monitor does come up with a low ink reminder, but has the option to continue.

brian
VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2009, 3:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTphotog View Post
I have two Epsons, and both allow printing until the cart runs dry. The status monitor does come up with a low ink reminder, but has the option to continue.

brian
Can you print after it calculates it is out of ink? I've heard numerous complaints from Epson owners that the printer stops when it calculates it is empty but there is usually still some ink in the cartridge. That's what i was referring to as "almost empty".
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2009, 10:12 PM   #7

In my case (I have an earlier model), the red light will come up to indicate low ink, can still be printed fine for quite a few pages.
Once it is completely gone (presumably, I can't be bother to open up the cartridge to check if there's anything left inside), the machine will ask for new ink cartridges before performing printing jobs.

(Sorry, I don't refill inks.)
Old Jun 27, 2009, 12:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipe View Post
Can you print after it calculates it is out of ink? I've heard numerous complaints from Epson owners that the printer stops when it calculates it is empty but there is usually still some ink in the cartridge. That's what i was referring to as "almost empty".
I'm not sure. I was able to do this on an earlier moder (C82) with the same status monitor and controls. Unfortunately, doing so ruined the printhead ( it seems the ink acts as a coolant to keep them from burning out), so I generally replace the carts when the calculated level gets down to around 5%. Yes, ink is expensive, but having to stop in the middel of a print job and order a new printer is a serious PITA.

I haven't tried to figure how much ink remains, but probably not much.

brian
VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2009, 2:50 AM   #9

if you wanna have a good quality printing result, suggest using 6 color or 8 color epson printer and buy an CIS system which can save your cartridge cost for 8-10 times. Also canon printer 5/8 series cartridge can be better than hp or lexmark.
koarla5238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2009, 9:51 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickySmith View Post
How does this CIS system will helpful to save ink and does this compatible with other printer also?
It will save the cost of ink (compared to genuine ink) in long term, if you print a lot. With CIS, you have to modify the printer, and you buy third party ink in bottles not cartridges.

Those who print a lot (a really lot) will tell you all the benefits of CIS.
For those like me who don't print that many photos, would buy genuine inks and also order genuine Epson paper for the printing. And will tell you to forget about CIS.

You have to get the CIS for your particular printer (and model).

Please be advised that no all inks are the same.