Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Aug 1, 2002, 3:23 PM   #1

Default 785 EPX and Windows XP

Has anyone else in the world besides me had trouble installing their 785EPX on a Windows XP machine?

I have a 1.2 gig celeron with 128megs of memory.

I try to install it and it says it is not communicationg but it will print a test page. Then, when I print a page from a program (even Word) it prints one page and locks up.

I've called Epson twice and gotten two different versions of what may be the problem. One of which is that I don't have enough RAM. All my computer geek friends say the amount of ram has no effect on the installation.

If anyone has had problems and then solved them, please let me know.

BTW, it installs and works on an old laptop with Win98.

I posted this on dpreview also so if there are no solutions here, I'll let you know.
E.B.West is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 1, 2002, 4:01 PM   #2

E.B.,
Do not know what you tried. throw a couple of things that you may already know but....
If your "old" laptop was a printer port not USB install kind of a windows mildless agree with click next.
Epson USB must use USB prt #1 closest to side of computer. If the install was done like a parrell port install, delete install and start freshhas to be done exact by book. Does not like windows has detect and will install..... does not work with epson USB.
Hope I said something new, XP loves memory, you will get more bang going up to 256meg, unlike 98SE which got stupit with what to do with it after 64meg.
Good Luck,
Gary
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2002, 5:24 PM   #3

Default The saga continues....

I know how it says in the book to skip over the automatic install. I can't seem to stop it in XP. I'm not getting a "Hardware Wizard" Dialog box like Windows 2000. I just get a little balloon in the bottom right of the screen saying it has "detected new hardware and is installing it". I try to stop it but by the time I click on it, it says it's installed. Do you have any idea how to stop the auto install?
Old Aug 1, 2002, 5:30 PM   #4

Have not played with XP, but try to delete previous installed drivers and not have driver disk in cd till after. also can you activate task manager by depressing alt-ctrl and tap once on delete, then end task of install?
Gary
Old Aug 2, 2002, 7:22 AM   #5

I'll give it a try. After trying to set the printer up, there are other things going weird so I think this weekend I'm going to re-install the XP and start from scratch.

Calling Epson doesn't seem to help. It's always the other guys fault.
Old Aug 2, 2002, 9:57 AM   #6

unfortuneattly manufacter customer support is made up of people reading off a flow chart, think only superviser can "think" and deviate from it. but if you think about it, would be worse w/o chart, not going to get talent to be on phone 40 hours a week.
Gary
Old Aug 5, 2002, 12:48 PM   #7

Well, I got Epson to send me a new printer. We'll see what happens now.
Old Aug 8, 2002, 7:29 AM   #8

Default All is well

I got the new printer, hooked it up, and installed it with no problem and it works fine....so far.

I was happy it was a bad printer and not my dumbness.
Old Aug 9, 2002, 7:39 AM   #9

Mr West

i strongly suggest you up your memory capacity to at least 512MB.
as you start to work with xp and imaging programs and printers you will discover the have an appitite for it.

you will also find the more memory the smoother things run. xp isn't anything like me or 98. it's win2k with a "colorforms" desktop. it's still win2k. throw it that memory and you'll see the difference.

with 128MB your going to hit the pagefile on a regular basis. thus turning your 1.2ghz celeron into the equivelent of a 300mhz machine while working.

[Edited on 8-9-2002 by sjms]
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2002, 2:19 PM   #10

Default Memory

Couldn't agree with you more about the memory. But that shouldn't have caused the printer not to install ( I got no memory error messages). That was my main complaint with their support people. They, like others, always want to blame someone else. Although, they finally sent me another one and it is working so, I'm assuming it was the printer that was the problem.

Thanks for replying. And don't call me Mr. West.