Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Aug 1, 2002, 3:39 PM   #1

Default Canon S9000 or Epson 1280?

I can't make up my mind!!!

I have an Epson 820 and it has been a great $99 printer but my husband broke it somehow and the estimate to have it fixed just isn't worth it (more than I paid for it).

So I was looking at the Epson 1280 which happens to have a $100 rebate right now which bring the street price down to $399. But the Canon S9000 looks awfully nice! ........but with no rebate is $100 more.......

What would you choose?
Rayna is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 2, 2002, 1:43 PM   #2

I decided to buy the Canon S9000. I found it on Ebay for $369.00 which was considerably cheaper than I could find it locally ($499 + tax). The individual ink tanks were what finally made me decide.
Rayna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2002, 3:39 PM   #3

Default Great Choice

I picked up the S9000 during a Dell overly low-priced error / coupon deal, and it wasn't much cheaper than that.

As for whether it is better than the Epson, I'll let the rest of the world fight over it. Personally, I just know that I thought my H.P. P1100 did great, and this just blows it away. And when you make your first 13x19 photo using that E-10, you'll agree.

The common verdict is the Canon Pro paper is best, but I have a supply of the Pictorico PGHG White Film and I can't imagine anything better.

And I haven't even bothered with their ICC Color Profiles that you can download from their site.

Enjoy,

JodyQ
JodyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2002, 7:45 PM   #4

Default Canon S9000 or Epson 1280

Judy,

I heard a rumor that Canon owns part of the Pictorico paper company. My favorite Pictorico paper is the Photo Gallery Glossy paper. It's a bit cheaper than the film. I tried using the Pictorico profiles. Tthey didn't work as well as using my monitor's profile on the S9000. I used the photo paper pro settings and the pictures look great. You can rub the pictures and the finish is so hard that no scratch marks appear. Photo paper pro pictures scratch rather easily. The only question is, how long will the Pictorico photos last?

Bill
wsandman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2002, 9:41 PM   #5

Default It depends what you want

It really depends on what you want.

The canon 2 different dropplet sizes and a Good color profile for only using 5 colors. Does'nt use black except on black and whites.

Very fast!!!!

The Epson 1280 with the 3 different dropplet sizes small medium and large will after a printer alignment that aligns not only the print heads but the density settings as well do a smoother more accurate picture than the canon.

Another plus is that it will pull out the highlights and the shading better due to the fact that it uses 6 colors to print rather than 5.

The 1280 at 2880dpi can be rather time consuming. But the photos are incredible.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2002, 10:38 PM   #6

Have heard that the 6 carttrige system sounds great on paper, but users say they tend to run out at same time. $72 for a six pack, might want to also get a six pack of brew to take some of the bite out of ink purchase.
Gary
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2002, 12:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally posted by Gary Senkus
Have heard that the 6 carttrige system sounds great on paper, but users say they tend to run out at same time. $72 for a six pack...
Gary
I've owned two different Canon printers over the years - my first about 10 years ago and my current MultiPass F30. In between, I've owned several Epson printers. On both Canon printers, the ink cartridges really do run out at the same time (except for the Black of course). Invariable I'm replacing another color within a week of the last one. My printing is fairly general purpose - I suppose if I was doing corporate logos or something that might be different.

As for the price of the replacement cartridges, I've found that the Canon cartridges are a *lot* cheaper than Epson or Lexmark. I usually get mine from <a href="http://www.buy.com">www.buy.com</a>. Since you'll pay more for the cartridges over the years than the printer, this is a signficant factor.

.../Ed
ewilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2002, 1:42 PM   #8

Ed,
Have owned several canon. The last being the 7000 photo. The cheapest to print with was the Star Gemini 10X, 9 pin, used a standard 99c typewriter ribbon and the Epson 750 photo which I used aftermarket carts and could replace both for under $10. As you said cost of ink much more than the printer, should be main factor for just household printing.Buy.c are good people, read my post at link and you will see what they did when it was a UPS screw up.
Gary

http://www.stevesforums.com/forum/vi...d.php?tid=1849
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2002, 12:20 AM   #9

The canon does have some cheap inks but when you look at it the epson for the same amount of ink will set you back half the price at full retail.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote