Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Nov 11, 2003, 11:04 PM   #1

Default Canon i960 -- This is how much INK i've used:

I've seen questions concerning per-print ink costs, so I've tried to figure out how much I've printed, now that I've gotten my first low ink warning.

After printing (at least) seventeen 8.5x11 sheets and about forty 4x6 sheets, I got a warning that my Photo Magenta is low. Visual inspection of the cartridge confirms the reservoir is empty but the sponge is saturated. The on-screen graph shows:

Cyan -------------- Nearly Full
Photo Cyan ------- About 40% Remaining
Black -------------- Nearly Full
Yellow ------------- About 2/3 Remaining
Photo Magenta ---- Empty Reservoir
Magenta ----------- Nearly Full

As for paper, I bought some really inexpensive paper at Sam's club. It's somewhat light-weight, but looks pretty good. It's Hammermill Jet Print Photo "Multi-Project Photo Paper". A 150 sheet 'Bulk Pack' of 7 mil, 150 gsm, 8.5x11 paper cost only $4.11 (4.72 after Nebraska tax)!!! My wife was thrilled with the quality and speed of the prints. I'm pretty impressed too.

BTW, does anyone have experience with the Stratijec (sp?) ink refill kit that Sam's Club sells? Is it easy to refill the Canon cartriges? How many times can they be refilled? Does the inkt have vivid color and good anti-fading? Will it clog any of my 3.072 nozzles? Thanx!

--Steve
DigitalNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 12, 2003, 2:27 AM   #2

Default Ink COST PER PRINT

I decided to translate ink used to cost/print. It worked out to about $1 per sheet. Here's my calculations.

Color ---- Portion of cartridge USED
Cyan ----- .10
PCyan ---- .60
Black ----- .10
Yellow ---- .35
PMag ---- 1.00
Mag ------ .10

TOTAL -- 2.25 carts @ $12 each = $27

I counted four 4x6 prints as about equivalent to one 8.5x11, and recalled two more 8.5x11 prints I'd made. Therefore, I figure my 8.5x11 equivalent as 29 or so, using about $27 worth of ink.

Comments (other than I have way too much time )?

--Steve
DigitalNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2003, 1:14 PM   #3

In my printing with the Canon 6 color printers, the photo cyan and/or photo magenta will be depleted about 2 times per one of other cartridges. This will obviously vary person to person though with the types of prints they are doing.

The info I have averages 30 cents for a 4x6 on Canon Plus Glossy and about 80 cents for a 8.5x11 on Canon Plus Glossy. Both are borderless in highest quality mode.
pdxbrian is offline   Reply With Quote