Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Nov 23, 2003, 1:23 AM   #1

Default CANON i900d/i960 VS EPSON RX500 (all-in-one)

well I was finally able to do my research today comparing print quality. I was worried about the longevity of the CANON pics. I origionally wanted an all-in-one with great photo capabilities, then I spoke with a canon rep at compUSA and he turned me on to the CANON printers (I like the LCD screen). Then as I did more research I loved the canon reviews and the actual pics they have at COMP USA for this printer.

Then I read about the fading pics. I later went to compUSA to talk to a salesman that seemed to know a TON about printers, he told me that the Epsons (RX500) print just as well, if not more crisp than teh Canon. No pics were avail to compare though. Today I went back to ask more questions and I saw an actual pic of the epson, and that answered my question, without SPEAKING to anybody. VERY VERY impressive, better resolution and less picoliter size droplets for the EPSON vs Canon. Both seemed very very close, but with the fact that I cn get an all in one with the same great prints and prints that last longer, I think I will go with the epson. I guess I don't need the LCD screen anyways.

THOUGHTS???
rodH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 25, 2003, 3:52 PM   #2

actually epson is worser @ printing photos

it has 3 pl droplets vs Canon's 2pl

it doesn't print good b&w docs although it prints them faster than canon

epson is not as good as Canon on plain and coated papers

photos on Canon papers last long

prints do not last longer on Epson than those from Canon
wayne123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2003, 11:52 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne123
actually epson is worser @ printing photos

it has 3 pl droplets vs Canon's 2pl

it doesn't print good b&w docs although it prints them faster than canon

epson is not as good as Canon on plain and coated papers

photos on Canon papers last long

prints do not last longer on Epson than those from Canon
That was a completely worthless post.

He is correct about the 2pl vs. 3pl ink drops.

The B&W text speed is faster on the Epson and its actually kind of difficult to tell the difference between the text quality.

As far as the photos, they both are rated at 27 years on mfr. paper so he was wrong there.

Having done extensive print tests between the two, nonwithstanding I work for Canon, they do look better. If you have a store near you, take in a flash card and print a picture on the RX500. Some do a strange thing where they lighten the colors but are able to pick up background detail no other printer can pick out. Downside is the colors are totally wrong.
pdxbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2003, 11:56 AM   #4

Compared both on variety of paper and must say that Canon text looks better overall.

As far as I know Canon rates its paper to last for 25 years. Not so sure about Epson - read somewhere that it fades quicker than Canon but it is reported to last about 25 years.

Where from did you take 25 years for Canon????

I also heard that they are producing new PR-101 (in Japan) and that it lasts 2 or 3 time longer than original pr-101.

I think that my previous post was very informative.
wayne123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2003, 1:25 PM   #5

let me get a few things straight here

1. Print text quality means nothing to me, I have a laser HP for text.

2. It has been discussed at nauseum that the canon prints fade and fade quickly (have you guys read them?)

3. I have been to compUSA already to compare print qualities and that is why I am leaning/sold on the EPSON. The Canon does have the 2 VS 3 picoliter droplet size, BUT the Epson prints higher resolution, so to me, after viewing the ACTUAL results, I think those to features on both units are negligable.

I have printed out some very detailed pics on BOTH units and they both do a great job, BUT the picture life of the canon scares me.
rodH is offline   Reply With Quote