Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Nov 24, 2003, 12:59 PM   #1

Default Canon i960 ... head cleaning every day?

Hi All,

I've had Canon i960 for couple of weeks now and what's reall pissing me off is that the first print of each day is wasted. The print job is a total mess due to what seems like not all colors being used. Top of page is worst as there is only a few colors being used ... bottom of page is better. Do I have to do a head cleaning every day? Does the print head just dry up when printer is not used for few hours?

I bought the Canon i960 for its speed and I was blown away by its quality. However, now I'm having second thoughts about it and thinking of going back to my Epson 2200 for most print jobs. I am also having a rather hard time getting the printer profiled correctly. I've never had a problem profiling the Epson 2200.

Also, it seems most people do not consider Canon printers for archival purposes at all whereas Epson printers are taken almost for granted. Am I reading people correctly on this?

Thank you,
Godor
Godor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 25, 2003, 4:25 PM   #2

That's not the norm. I've had my i960 for a month now and I've NEVER run a manual cleaning cycle.

That being said, I AM taking good care of my printer by making sure that the head cleaning area is kept clean. I suggest you take a look at that area and clean it to see if perhaps this is the reason you are having problems.

1. Get a flashlight, some Q-tips, a tweezer, and eye-glass screwdriver.

2. Open the printer lid, let the head slide over to the center position.

3. Pull the power plug (I did this the first couple of times, if you are too slow in cleaning then the head will try to park itself after a period of time).

4. Using the flashlight, look in the area where the head normally parks. There is a 1-inch square pad that the heads purge themselves on. You can pry this pad out gently (its made of some kind of ceramic like material) from the left rear corner just to lift it up. Use the tweezers to pick it up (you dont want to drop it in the printer!). It is held in place by the rubber holder. Rinse this in warm water, pat dry with paper towel and then blow off with compressed air. Place it back in gently.

5. There are clear rubber wipers behind the purge pad. Clean those with the Q-tips.

6. Plug in the printer and let it do it's cleaning cycle (its own, not your own).

See if this helps. I've gotten this down to where it takes me just a minute or two so I don't have to unplug the printer anymore.

The reason I do this is to make sure that no dry ink is contaminating the bottom of the head. If there is dry ink on the wipers then every time the printer does a cleaning cycle and wipes the heads it will only move that dried ink all over the place and clog up the heads more.

I've done this once a week since I have had the printer. I'm not about to claim victory over head problems since I've only had the printer for a month but I think I'm going a long way to prevent such problems.

You may also consider taking the cartridges out at the same time and then removing the head to gently wipe the bottom of the head clean.

Hope this helps.
muzzy996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2003, 11:45 AM   #3

Honestly I'd return it and get a new one or call Canon's warranty service if you are past the return date. Every so often print heads can have problems out of the box.

As far as being archival, you say Epson owners take it for granted....only if you have a C84 or 2200 though?? Every other one of their printers matches our 27 years.
pdxbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2003, 7:39 PM   #4

Default Grain of salt here . .

There's a difference between the longevity of prints when testing in a controlled laboratory environment and a the expectations of a consumer that "archives" in a shoe box on the top shelf of a closet

I have a hard time swallowing the Wilhelm test results that Epson and Canon reps seem to spew out primarilly because Wilhelm tests under controlled conditions.

In addition to that the numbers on the tables that come out of Wilhelm seem so skewed that one has to wonder how valid the results are. In one of Wilhelm's tests manufacturers inks were put up against popular 3rd party inks. Now it wouldn't surprise someone to read that the ink made by Canon or Epson will last longer than that made by reputable 3rd parties. What is surprising is that in many of the result summaries that Wilhelm puts out (Wilhelm is often hired by manufacturers for testing of their products) the manufacturer numbers are MUCH MUCH higher than 3rd party numbers. This makes one wonder, are 3rd party inks that far off? Why can't the best 3rd party chemists come up with ink that lasts more than 4 years in controlled environments and yet Epson can make ink that lasts over 90 years?

The fading of Canon (and Epson for that matter) dye based inkjet prints in the hands of every day users has been documented all over the place. Results vary due to the variables involved (lighting, temperature, humidity, air quality, paper chemistry, ink formulation etc.) The only thing printer manufacturers can reasonably control is paper chemistry and ink formula.

So lets not mislead people into thinking that all prints by a Canon printer on a particular Canon paper should last 27 years (behind glass or not).

For the record, I'm a happy Canon i960 owner and I use only Canon ink. I just don't appreciate marketing smoke screens.
muzzy996 is offline   Reply With Quote