Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Aug 5, 2002, 10:25 AM   #1

Default Elements and Epson 1290 printing problem

I want to print top qual, pic's, but it's not happening. I have an Fuji S2pro camera. The pic's look good on the PC in elements, but crap on the printer. The pic's are grainy & have naff colour.
The pic's in elements size to 150cm by about 100cm at 72ppi. I changed the size so that the ppi goes to 350 ppi with some croping for a 10x8 inch print

I use the printer drivers custom setup and change to 2880dpi and print. Priting onto Kodak photo paper.

I have read a number of postings. The questions are:-

1) In elements is 250-300 ppi the correct target or should i use 2880ppi?

2) I have seen stuff about colour profiles. I guess i need to use elements colour profile and turn off the colour control in the printer driver?

3) Any thing else need changing?

Thanx in advance?

ashenfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 5, 2002, 9:07 PM   #2

What paper are you using?
Old Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2002, 6:08 AM   #3

I will answer what I can on this but I'm not an expert and I don't have an Epson 1280. I suggest that you tackle the graininess problem first.

250-300 PPI for the image resolution is fine. Most people cannot see any improvement in print quality over 300 PPI and I personally print at 200 PPI (but I don't have an S2!).

You are mixing up image resolution in Pixels Per Inch (PPI) and printer resolution in Dots Per Inch (DPI). Printers place more than one dot to recreate each pixel of the image, so there is no direct relationship between DPI and PPI (and different printer manufacturers measure DPI differently). Setting the printer resolution to 2880 dpi should give the best possible print quality.

I assume by grainy you mean that you can see individual dots from the printer. There is no way that your pictures should be grainy using the settings that you have specified unless you have exceptional short range vision or there is something wrong with the printer setup. Have you tried showing the prints to anybody else to see whether they can see the dots?

Have you checked the print head alignment and run a nozzle check? Perhaps you have a blocked nozzle.

Have you set the correct paper type in the printer driver: in Elements Print/Printer/Properties to get at the driver settings. There might be a problem if it is set to plain paper.

Next suggestion is to buy some Epson photo paper so that you can match it with the standard paper setting in the driver - perhaps the Kodak paper needs different settings.

If this doesn't work you may have a printer problem - contact Epson.

The colour problem might be related to the dots problem, especially if it is a blocked nozzle or the wrong paper. You should be able to get very good colours on Epson paper if you have the correct printer settings. Profiling won't fix a printer, settings or paper problem. I suggest that you do not go into profiling until you have everything else sorted out and you then find you want better colour matching.

Has anybody else (preferably an Epson 1280 owner) got any suggestions?

Chris
Chris R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2002, 6:43 AM   #4

Default Update

The tests that went badly wrong were on Kodak photo paper.
I have now used Epson Premium photo glossy. I have also setup the colour profile managerments in elements . The Pic's are vastly better.

The print differance is more than I would expect between the two papers. Not sure whats going on here.

I had hoped to use the Kodak paper as you can print on both sides. The ideal being to make a nicely bound folder without needing to mount my work!

Any ideas?
Old Aug 6, 2002, 6:58 AM   #5

Ash,
Have used many Epson photo priinters. Have used them with different paper brands and generic ink. things I stay clear of:
photo shop bundled with printer.
only resize with Arcsoft photo printer or Cameda master pro 4.0 by draging and dropping into tempplate and letting it do the resize.
changes other then down to 1440, selecting digital camera and paper type.
always realign after change cartridges and do nozzle test before printing. this is a mindless uncreative method that always works for me. Like to keep life simple these daze.
Gary

Might want to try something simple like this, if you get good pic, try some of the other things you like to do makeing prints after every couple of changes, might help figure out what to stay away from.. Kodak paper has worked good as has Epson.
Gary

sight for PIM, might help someone with supported equipment.

http://www.printimagematching.com/

[Edited on 8-6-2002 by Gary Senkus]

[Edited on 8-6-2002 by Gary Senkus]
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2002, 7:44 AM   #6

You can get major variations with different papers, although I expect that you have changed more than just the paper. I have done a search on another site and could not find any particular problems with Kodak paper on Epson printers (there are on Canon printers). You might like to try the Kodak paper again.

Here is a link to the Kodak site which has recommended settings with various printers:
http://www.kodak.com/US/en/digital/d...ettings1.shtml

[For some reason the URL above doesn't post correctly - it should finish ".shtml" with no space between the "m" and "l" (lower case letter ell.)]

Chris
Chris R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2002, 9:56 PM   #7

The Kodak paper is actually designed for a very different ink. The best papers you can use for an epson are. Hamermill, Epson, Canon.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2002, 3:53 AM   #8

Thanks for all your help. I have stop using the kodak paper. I change to epson paper and with loads of head clean things are much better thanx.