Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Nov 30, 2003, 8:08 PM   #1

Default What's the real story on print quality from the Epson 2200?

My questions are to you 2200 users: Do you find that metamerism is a problem? Are your prints as clear and vibrant as with dye printers? Do you have difficulty getting the colors to be true in value and saturation?
I am ready to buy a wide format printer and am considering either the Epson 2200 or the Canon i9100. My Epson 2000P just died an inglorious death with either a clogged or a damaged print head, which I could not resuscitate. I don't want to invest $200 to replace the print head when many of the photos are less than satisfying with metamerism and a hazy dull appearance, despite making a number of custom profiles for the printer. I fear the 2200 for the metamerism, which some say still exists, and possible dullness of the prints compared to the i9100. Yet I fear the fading prints of the latter.
To test them I took my test print files on disk to a computer store and convinced the Epson and Canon representatives, there on the same day, to have a print-off. The Epson man couldn't get his machine to work at all. The Canon man printed some beautiful prints on the Epson paper I provided. In six weeks they have not faded, though admittedly stored in a pile of papers. I went to a different store and got a different Epson man to print with the 2200, but he didn't know how to work the computer or printer very well and they came out horrible looking.
I plan to print mostly on matte and semi gloss, mostly color, but some black and white. The bronzing of glossy paper doesn't bother me very much, since I won't be using it often. The company provided test prints look very good, but are they really reproducible? Whatever help you could give me I would appreciate.
CarlR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 30, 2003, 8:35 PM   #2

Default Re: What's the real story on print quality from the Epson 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlR
My questions are to you 2200 users: Do you find that metamerism is a problem? Are your prints as clear and vibrant as with dye printers? Do you have difficulty getting the colors to be true in value and saturation?
I am ready to buy a wide format printer and am considering either the Epson 2200 or the Canon i9100. My Epson 2000P just died an inglorious death with either a clogged or a damaged print head, which I could not resuscitate. I don't want to invest $200 to replace the print head when many of the photos are less than satisfying with metamerism and a hazy dull appearance, despite making a number of custom profiles for the printer. I fear the 2200 for the metamerism, which some say still exists, and possible dullness of the prints compared to the i9100. Yet I fear the fading prints of the latter.
To test them I took my test print files on disk to a computer store and convinced the Epson and Canon representatives, there on the same day, to have a print-off. The Epson man couldn't get his machine to work at all. The Canon man printed some beautiful prints on the Epson paper I provided. In six weeks they have not faded, though admittedly stored in a pile of papers. I went to a different store and got a different Epson man to print with the 2200, but he didn't know how to work the computer or printer very well and they came out horrible looking.
I plan to print mostly on matte and semi gloss, mostly color, but some black and white. The bronzing of glossy paper doesn't bother me very much, since I won't be using it often. The company provided test prints look very good, but are they really reproducible? Whatever help you could give me I would appreciate.
so you have delt with 2 Epson reps that have NO clue how to use the machine/computer?? seems familiar, I went to 2 places on Sat to look at epsons, ironically enough the reps had NO clue (if fact since I do so much research on the net, I knew more than they did). Also, the compUSA guy knew a LOT about the printers (1 guy knew nothing, the other was a total stud in what he knew). I hate going and looking at products only to have a clueless employee or rep there. I wonder if this is the result of the internet and price competition, people just cant pay professionals anymore, when other places like Best Buy pays 16 year olds minimum wage?
rodH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2003, 8:58 PM   #3

I'm finding no problems with print from the 2200.

But my system is fairly well color-matched, what I scan is pretty much what I see on the monitor and what prints from the printers using the right paper profiles.

Black & white prints tend to have a color cast that is hard to get rid of unless you use a RIP program. Like epsons Stylus rip for the 2200 or ImagePrint RIP

If you are looking for wide format printers here is Epsons lineup:
the epson 2200 is 13 inches wide, 7 * 20ml ink cartridges
the epson 4000 is 17 inches wide, 8 * 110ml or 220ml ink cartridges
the eoson 7600 is 24 inches wide, 7 * 110ml ink cartridges and
the epson 9600 and 10600 are 60 inches wide, 7 *110ml or 220ml ink cartridges.

Scarry but a full set of 220ml cartridges is over 800$.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote