Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Dec 31, 2003, 7:54 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadWolfBones
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juice_22
I myself have printed a doven or so web pages and 8 or nine 4x6 pictures & am somewhat surprised at how fast the ink is dwindling. Now I know you will lose some ink every time the printer is turned on. As for the Light Cyan & Magenta levels dropping at twice the rate of the other colors, I don't see that happening. The inks are pretty much all going down evenly.
Indeed. I'm considering returning it (if possible) and grabbing the Canon i470D that's going for $30AR at Staples.

Anyone know if returns are workable on barely-used printers?
AFAIK - shouldn't be a problem. Depending on when you bought the printer, if Staples considers it a holiday gift you may have up to January 10th or 11th to return.
Photo Gump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2004, 6:43 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by el-diablo666
I've been using this priter for around a week now. The results .. for printing 10x8 photos anyway is excellent. I'm comparing this with my older Epson Photo 870 (5 color + black system) and it is faster and sharper. My concerns are ink usage .. it seems to be using light cyan and light magenta at an alarming rate, and there is a shortage of replacement cartridges at this time (something Epson assures me is only temporary).
Actually, that is pretty normal. If you are printing images with a lot of sky showing, the printer will go through a lot of Light Magenta and Light Cyan. That is one of the reasons that having individual ink cartridges makes a lot of sense. FWIW, I use Lt Cyan, Lt Magenta and Lt Black more than any of the other colors on my Epson 2200. I would expect the same to hold true for your 300...

<TED>
tedj101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2004, 2:02 PM   #23

Quote:
After about 8 4x6 prints and a few pages printed off the web on normal paper, the ink usage seems alarmingly high.

:?
My understanding is the first set use more ink .. something to do with the fact the heads have to be filled/primed. I went thru some of my first set at an alarming rate .. but it seems to have slowed down now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo Gump
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juice_22
I myself have printed a doven or so web pages and 8 or nine 4x6 pictures & am somewhat surprised at how fast the ink is dwindling. Now I know you will lose some ink every time the printer is turned on. As for the Light Cyan & Magenta levels dropping at twice the rate of the other colors, I don't see that happening. The inks are pretty much all going down evenly.
Indeed. I'm considering returning it (if possible) and grabbing the Canon i470D that's going for $30AR at Staples.

Anyone know if returns are workable on barely-used printers?
AFAIK - shouldn't be a problem. Depending on when you bought the printer, if Staples considers it a holiday gift you may have up to January 10th or 11th to return.
Some stores will charge you for the ink cartridges on used returned printers that aren't faulty.
el-diablo666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2004, 4:41 AM   #24

Quote:
Some stores will charge you for the ink cartridges on used returned printers that aren't faulty.
Never heard of Staples in the States charging a restocking fee.
Photo Gump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2004, 12:56 PM   #25

On the R-300 ink cartridges are they individual carttridges?
Imacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2004, 1:09 PM   #26

Yes, six of them.
DeadWolfBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2004, 3:54 PM   #27

Default They are seperate tanks

Yes, there are 6 individual tanks. I online purchased a set from www.altex.com today

Steve
harr840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2004, 10:21 AM   #28
Administrator

I have posted my Epson R300M review, actually it was posted on 1/11/04. I have updated it today and ammended the conclusion. A reader asked me if the CD prints were waterproof so I dunked one under the tap and watched a good portion of the ink wash away. This disc was printed about five days ago so the ink was thoroughly dry. So much for inkjet printable CDs ... I'll stay with my $100 Casio C-50 thermal printer for making simple CD labels.

Other than that, the R300M still isn't a bad little home photo printer that also serves as a high-speed multi-format card reader. It's not as fast as the Canon printers - but then, what is?

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2004, 11:40 AM   #29

Steve .. a question on the CD printing.
Was the non waterproof CD a Verbatim or a cheaper one ?? .. or does this apply to all so called inkjet printable CDs. I tried printing on a white faced CD (one of the cheaper types sold in the UK) when I first got the printer .. and the ink took 2 weeks to dry to the touch (I didn't try the under the tap method .. but I'm sure it would wash off).
I've found a source of inkjet printable verbatims .. but I don't want to waste my money on them if they won't dry. I remember have this kind of issue with some papers years back .. and it came down to using specific inkjet media.

Thanks
el-diablo666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2004, 6:09 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve
I have posted my Epson R300M review, actually it was posted on 1/11/04. I have updated it today and ammended the conclusion. A reader asked me if the CD prints were waterproof so I dunked one under the tap and watched a good portion of the ink wash away. This disc was printed about five days ago so the ink was thoroughly dry. So much for inkjet printable CDs ... I'll stay with my $100 Casio C-50 thermal printer for making simple CD labels.

Other than that, the R300M still isn't a bad little home photo printer that also serves as a high-speed multi-format card reader. It's not as fast as the Canon printers - but then, what is?

-Steve
Steve,

Thanks for the R300M review. I had been waiting since before Christmas.

Your review - conclusion of the R300M didn't seem to be as enthusiastic as was your review - conclusion of the Canon i960.

I like the Cannon 2 picoliter -vs- the R300 3 picoliter feature. I also like the see thru ink cartridges. The only wish list for the Canon I would say for me (Still deciding which one to purchase by the way) is the ability to plug in a memory card directly, (and I don't know that I would even use that feature) and that most folks seem to think the color is not as vibrant as the R300. But a lot of folks over adjust the color on their TV sets to levels of color that aren't natural or realistic.

Money set aside do you feel the i960 prints a better more realistic photo?

And are there any new printers comming out soon in the $200 - $250 price range that might be worth waiting for?

My wife and I just purchased our 1st digital camera for Christmas a 5 megapixel Minolta G500. We have no photo printer at this time and I would like to purchase a photo printer that I will still be happy with several years from now. Looking for quality and reliablity as we don't have money to throw away but will spend on quality murchandise to meet our needs.

Thanks,

Brian
FastSS396Man is offline   Reply With Quote