Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jan 17, 2004, 7:14 AM   #31

Hmmm Steve your review didn't reflect any off the card printing. I find it interesting to note because in the store we have been playing with the R300 and the Canon I900 along with a Rebel Camera and every time off the card the Epson will come out faster with more accurate and clear pictures than the canon does off the card with not even the highest quality setting. We also found unlike the 925 of last year that you really don't have to set it for the highest quality in order to get Clear prints off the card. Also this model supports Tiff file printing which we tested with an image off of Kodaks own pro camera which by the way supports PIM 2. Also we found that the Epson Has the Darkest Blacks next to the new Hp on the market.

I'm just relating the results I've seen in the store working with both a Canon rep and a Epson Rep. Canon and Hp reps both admit that the Epson R300 produces a better quality photo with higher depth perception and more accurate colors. The only one that beats it is the New HP and only on black and white photos.

Printing off the card is really this printers specialty with the ability to automatically detect any kind of print matching whether it be exif or PIM.

Definatly play with some of these features I think you'll find them to your liking.

Me personally found parts of the menu confusing but once the rep showed me through the steps I was ooing and awing in no time.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2004, 3:39 PM   #32

I was also interested in these 2 printers. I did print out pics on both of them at the store, both did a great job. I read that the canon has 2 pl sized ink, while the epson uses 3 pl size. I was origionally concerned about that, and look very closely at fine detail and I couldn't detect a difference. I WONDER WHY THAT IS??? is it just impossible to see the difference with the human eye, or does the fact that teh epson using a higher resolution make up for that?? I also found the espon colors to be slightly more colorful and brilliant, but not much. Ultimately I went with Epson over concerns with picture fading with the Canon.

thoughts??
rodH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2004, 10:34 AM   #33

Default Tried the R300 at Best Buy and...

One of the Best Buy reps was extremely helpful (perhaps by being cynical) when I was comparing printing photos from the Canon's, HP's, and this Epson R300 yesterday. I have an excess of Kodak photo paper and tested them out on the Epson and was most impressed (but still not blown away) with the R300 than the other models and brands Best Buy carries.

Anyway, he stated that the R300 will only use 4 of the 6 ink cartridges to print photos if you're not using Epson paper and that the printer detects this through some infrared/scanning system. (In his view, all brands sell printers at a loss but make up for it by forcing you to buy their consumables to get the best results and will go out of their way to ensure you get bad results without buying their consumables.)

Just wondering if this is something others have noticed, do you only get 4 of the 6 cartridges to print with non-Epson paper? The guy at Best Buy pointed out some flaws in the photo I printed and believed it would look better if it were printed using Epson paper because it didn't use all 6 ink cartridges.

FWIW, he wasn't trying to get me to buy the Epson at all and dump the Kodak paper. He told me that I should perhaps look at Lexmark, some other models besides what they carry as they only have low end Lexmarks because Lexmark partners with Kodak on paper.
thickosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2004, 3:06 PM   #34

Default Re: Tried the R300 at Best Buy and...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thickosaurus
Anyway, he stated that the R300 will only use 4 of the 6 ink cartridges to print photos if you're not using Epson paper and that the printer detects this through some infrared/scanning system.
Wow - I'm not legal expert but wouldn't this be illegal if true (unless they divulge this information and clearly state that epson paper is required for best results up front it seems they are breaking US anti-competition laws)?
I've always been skeptical of clerks at the big stores. Sometimes you get ones that know what they are talking about, and sometimes you can catch them telling you false rumours if you know the products better than they. I don't think they necessarily purposely lie - I think that someone comes in the store, or a friend tells them a story - and then they pass it on. Pretend you no nothing about digital cameras for instance and ask for advise - you'd probably be suprised some of the false information they might spread.
(Not to ramble on but sample story - when buying cordless phones years ago when they came out I once had a woman tell me to avoid touching the attenna too much - she said over time static charges would increase and reception would get worse!Unbelievable! I then gave her a lecture on the basics of static discharge - she didn't believe me...).
Anyone have any additional data on this suposed epson paper detection capability? True/false?
cczych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2004, 10:46 AM   #35
csd

[quote="cczychI've always been skeptical of clerks at the big stores. [/quote]
I'd be skeptical of small store clerks as well. I was told not to expose my camera to freezing temperatures or else the LCD would freeze and crack. After being challenged on this claim here-in I discovered this is not true. Don't always believe what they tell you - seek evidence....
csd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2004, 12:06 PM   #36

Funny you mention the LCD in cameras. 2 weeks ago we had the coldest weather in a long time here in Oregon. Left my digicam in the car overnight...LCD was f'd up real bad in the morning. Bummer...
pdxbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2004, 10:40 PM   #37

Default Don't listen to the reps

Please... the majority of those BB store reps don't know a damn thing about anything. The fac that he suggested that Lexmark would be in the same league as a R300 or i960 goes to show you how out of touch they can be.
Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2004, 1:00 PM   #38

I've been printing almost exclusively on Kodak paper with my R300 and all the ink tanks are going down pretty much evenly.
DeadWolfBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2004, 10:53 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by thickosaurus
Anyway, he stated that the R300 will only use 4 of the 6 ink cartridges to print photos if you're not using Epson paper and that the printer detects this through some infrared/scanning system.
ops: I'm at a loss
1. the only consumer printers with auto paper detect are HP's
2. why reduce color range on any photo?
3. the reps are supposed to follow If you can't dazzle 'em don't baffle 'em rule if you're not sure don't B.S.

here's a linky to the R300 manual
http://files.support.epson.com/pdf/r300__/r300__2u1.pdf
check out page # 27
ltrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2004, 4:02 AM   #40

Default Some R300 questions answered.....

Hi,

I'm an Epson rep that stumbled upon this forum and would like to answer some of the questions of the R300.

As for the ink of the R300 it is not water resistant, Epson uses two types of inks in their printers, pigment and dye. The pigment ink which is Epson's Durabrite ink (C64/C84/CX5400,CX6400), is water resistant. The dye ink in the R300 is not. Prints off the R300 are only water resistant on Epson Premium Photo Paper. Try printing one and dip it in water, you'll see it will not smear or run.

The Epson also uses all of its cartridges to print photos, no matter what paper you use. In my opinion Kodak paper is not the best or even recommended paper to use on the printer. You will definetly see a quality difference if you use the Epson Premium Photo Paper. Its not expensive either I've seen the 100pk of 4x6 at Best Buy at $14.99.

As for the inks running down, they will go down depending on the type of pictures printed, also the first set of cartridges will run out faster due to the "priming" of the print heads.

One last thing, for the lawsuit info on the first page, here's the truth, the Epson Printheads are permanent, which makes the cartridges somewhat cheaper, the cartridges will stop working once they have reached the pre-determined yield for the cartridge. For example the actual yeild for the black ink on the r300 is approx. 630 text pages. It will stop at 630, and have a reserve amount of ink in the cartridge still. It is not to rip off customers of ink, it is to prevent from damaging the ink heads. If the cartridge was allowed to go completely dry, air can actually get in the head and cause damage. You won't "burn" the heads however, as Epson's aren't thermal printers like our competitors. Customers still get the prints and the amount they paid for, there is just more ink than the useable ink to prevent any head damage.

I hope I answered some of the questions, let me know if I can answer anymore, I'll be more than happy to answer them
epsonrep is offline   Reply With Quote