Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jan 26, 2004, 8:59 AM   #41

epsonrep,
Thanks for chiming in!
You dispelled some rumours without getting too salesy nor did you slander the competition. Very professional and appreciated.
One additional question:
Can you tell us the differences between the durabrite inks versus the dye ink of the r300 in terms of longevity of photos?
Thanks!
cczych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2004, 12:07 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by cczych
epsonrep,
Thanks for chiming in!
You dispelled some rumours without getting too salesy nor did you slander the competition. Very professional and appreciated.
One additional question:
Can you tell us the differences between the durabrite inks versus the dye ink of the r300 in terms of longevity of photos?
Thanks!
Durabrite inks will last you up to 75 years they say, but they are certainly not photo inks. I have the CX5400 multifunction that has their durabrites. It is nice for text and everyday stuff since its waterproof but it looks nasty even on their Durabrite photo paper. Matte is OK but leaves much to be desired. I've got an i960 sitting next to it for photos.
pdxbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2004, 12:13 PM   #43

Once you see how expensive it is to print at photo quality on premium photo paper you will probably not want to print directly from the printer. And I donít think a tiny LCD screen is appropriate for image editing. It is nice to have the card reader regardless. The R300 doesnít seem to have an xD reader, so the feature isnít any good to anyone with a newer Oly or Fuji. xD can be a real pain sometimes Ė and you pay extra for the privilege. Not a concern with your A70 but might be significant if you ever bought another camera. The new HPs take xD.

I often use the 99c/can clear spray paint from Wal-Mart to both waterproof and bring out the colors on things like greeting cards and plain index stock. You just use a light coat and it does both a nice job of waterproofing and leaves a nice semi-gloss finish. I would think it would work fine for CDs if you made sure they were perfectly flat so nothing got on the recording surface.

I know you can do other things while you are printing, but if you are experimenting with profiles or just varying your input to get a great print it is a nice feature of the Canon that they come out 3 times as fast (at least). I have a fast processor with a Gig or RAM and the computer still gets a little klunky when I am printing. Useable but things hang momentarily.

From my limited experience with both printers the R300 does give better blacks and the i960 better resolution. The prints are probably a little more pleasing from the Epson if you donít look real close. Since both use a photo black I think it is a matter of coverage. Canon reformulated their inks about 3 years ago with stronger dyes and went from dead last to best in ink cost. It puts less ink on the paper, which works fine for the colors with the stronger dyes but leaves a little to be desired for the black. Blacks arenít bad on the Canon Ė Epson is just a little better. And nothing competes with the new HPs for B&W.

Canon premium photo paper is much pricier than Epsonís and Epson has a much wider range. If you use other than factory paper you have to profile to keep a perfect color balance. The paper is a big plus for Epson IMO.

Canon actually measures the ink level rather than estimate like Epson does. It is no problem to run them dry if you donít just let it run. I never let them get empty since I refill. It is easy to refill the Canon and there is good aftermarket ink available. It is a bear with the Epsons because you have to reprogram the chip or it wonít print. I have to profile for Red River paper anyway on my Canon so it isnít any more trouble to profile for the ink. I get very good results but a hair less than factory Canon ink on Canon premium paper.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2004, 1:10 PM   #44
csd

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipe
From my limited experience with both printers the R300 does give better blacks and the i960 better resolution. .
The Espon r300 actually has better resolution than the i960 at 5760X1440 dpi versus the i960's 4800X1200 dpi. It is very hard to see the difference but the dots appear more easily on the i960.
csd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2004, 2:16 PM   #45

Hey cczych thanks for the welcome!

To answer your question about the inks, the durabrite ink is supposed to be water/fade/light resistant for 75 years. The dye ink is water/light/fade resistant for 25 years on the photo papers.

As for the card reader on the Epson R300/R300M, it reads virtually all the memory out on the market, including XD, so people with Fuji and Olympus printers do not have to worry.

As for refillable ink, it's not recommended on any printer on the market. Your not gonna get the best print with them, because they tend to mix the ink, having a different consistensy, sometimes you may get ink that is dye based, other times it might be pigment based. It's always a matter of luck, and I have personally used refills on my older epsons without the chip with no problem, but like I said its luck and I only refilled to use the printer for black text, not for photos. I've had Epson customers telling me that they will never buy refillables again, because it either caused their heads to clog or actually ruin their head. It's not just Epson either, my friend did it on his Canon and it ruined his head and he had to get it replaced. So just be cautious, if your gonna refill, refill the cartridge once, the most twice, after that buy one, as you may have ill effects if you keep refilling the same one over and over.
epsonrep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2004, 2:32 PM   #46

I have wondered about pre -spraying a 4" x 6" index card as Slipe says he does. Although I haven't sprayed any, I did buy a batch of 100 of these note cards ($0.89 @ OfficeMax) just to try one. The print was even worse than I expected.

My reluctance RE pre-spraying is the possibility of damaging the printhead, although that does seem unlikely if the spray is completely dry. Has anyone else tried it? Any informed knowledge RE printhead damage?

So, Slipe, tell us more about how these ultra-cost-efficient prints look??????? Thanks!
Uncle Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2004, 2:34 PM   #47

I have wondered about pre -spraying a 4" x 6" index card as Slipe says he does. Although I haven't sprayed any, I did buy a batch of 100 of these note cards ($0.89 @ OfficeMax) just to try one. The print was even worse than I expected.

My reluctance RE pre-spraying is the possibility of damaging the printhead, although that does seem unlikely if the spray is completely dry. Has anyone else tried it? Any informed knowledge RE printhead damage?

So, Slipe, tell us more about how these ultra-cost-efficient prints look??????? Thanks!
Uncle Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2004, 2:40 PM   #48

Default To the EPSON Rep

I have just purchased a R300. I have a few questions regarding the printer.
1. Does the printer use ink each time is powered down and back on?
2. I leave my PC on almost all the time. Does leaving the R300 on all the time hurt or damage it?
3. When I want to power down the printer, should I let it power down with the PC or the onboard power button?

Thanks,

Steve
harr840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2004, 4:16 PM   #49

Default Re: To the EPSON Rep

1. almost all inkjet printers use a little ink to come ready at power up
2. shouldn't be a problem
3. if you power down the printer it should be done at the printer, not at a power center, some printers wil step the head off of "home" position causing the head to dry generating clogging problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by harr840
I have just purchased a R300. I have a few questions regarding the printer.
1. Does the printer use ink each time is powered down and back on?
2. I leave my PC on almost all the time. Does leaving the R300 on all the time hurt or damage it?
3. When I want to power down the printer, should I let it power down with the PC or the onboard power button?

Thanks,

Steve
ltrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2004, 6:04 PM   #50

I agree with epsonrep.

Refilling epson is a tricky business. Make sure that the refill ink is of good quality. I could recommend MIS Associates ink with extremely good color match. They also seem to have the right viscosity (correct word) so the print drops are the correct size.

But it is really hard to get the quality you get with the original epson ink. So if you don't want to spend time to mess around with the printer, stick with the original epson ink.
LCohen is offline   Reply With Quote