Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jan 26, 2004, 6:41 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Q
I have wondered about pre -spraying a 4" x 6" index card as Slipe says he does. Although I haven't sprayed any, I did buy a batch of 100 of these note cards ($0.89 @ OfficeMax) just to try one. The print was even worse than I expected.

My reluctance RE pre-spraying is the possibility of damaging the printhead, although that does seem unlikely if the spray is completely dry. Has anyone else tried it? Any informed knowledge RE printhead damage?

So, Slipe, tell us more about how these ultra-cost-efficient prints look??????? Thanks!
I spray them after I print. It makes the colors a lot richer with the added benefit of waterproofing and giving a nice finish. You have to use several light coats. If it starts to soak into the paper or cards it gives really crappy results. You canít push the button while the spray is pointed directly at the target, but have to push it and then sweep across. I do about three fast sweeps from about 18 inches across and a couple vertically.

I was working on a museum display and trying to convince a friend to use the spray technique. I sprayed a color picture from the newspaper and his eyes popped Ė try it. Needless to say he spray painted over all of the uncovered graphics and print on the display. It makes a print on index stock printed at plain paper setting look a lot nicer. It is my poor personís semi-gloss when I have only glossy. Wish I could find some super white index stock though. Practicing on a newspaper photo will let you know very quickly if you got it on to thick.

I was suggesting the CDs be sprayed after they were printed and dried. It would be especially important to use light coats or they would run.

Seems there was a printer that put down a light coating of something before it printed on something and there are sprays designed to apply before printing. I have no experience with either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csd
The Espon r300 actually has better resolution than the i960 at 5760X1440 dpi versus the i960's 4800X1200 dpi. It is very hard to see the difference but the dots appear more easily on the i960.
Have you ever compared them side by side? The i960 has smaller dots and makes a smoother print that looks a lot better up close. I think the R300 actually looks slightly better at a distance though. By distance I probably mean normal viewing distance.

Resolution has never been a good predictor of print quality. Epson for years had much lower resolution than some of the competition and printed the best photos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCohen
I agree with epsonrep.

Refilling epson is a tricky business. Make sure that the refill ink is of good quality. I could recommend MIS Associates ink with extremely good color match. They also seem to have the right viscosity (correct word) so the print drops are the correct size.

But it is really hard to get the quality you get with the original epson ink. So if you don't want to spend time to mess around with the printer, stick with the original epson ink.
I have used MIS ink for probably 10 years now with no problems. I get about 8 full refills from an HP black and I have never worn out the color Ė mainly because I have usually had a photo printer and donít refill the color as much on my GP printers. I have to calculate the number of refills based on ink use as I never let them get empty. I have gone through several pints of pigmented black over the years for a savings of megabucks. Print quality is as good with the black as the factory HP ink, but you have to make adjustments to get the color just right. And since the HP mixes color to get gray, a grayscale print always has a very slight tint with MIS ink. I donít print that much grayscale with it so I havenít messed with that.

I have also had good luck with Inkjet Goodies ink for my Canon Photo printer. Results are almost indistinguishable from factory ink with the right profile. It is probably the same stuff MIS sells but everyone over a dpreview liked it.

Epson adds a difficulty level with the chip I wouldnít want to mess with.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2004, 9:16 PM   #52

ltrez is right in every respect

1. Every printer will use a bit of ink when powering up to "prime" the heads.

2. It is not a problem if you leave the printer on, however, all new Epsons have a built in head cleaning mechanism that runs every few hours if the printer is on constantly (I've seen it done on demo printers at stores), so it will use up your ink, so I recommend that you power it down once you are done using the printer.

3. And as ltrez said, powering down your printer should be done at the printer.
epsonrep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2004, 2:45 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by csd
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipe
From my limited experience with both printers the R300 does give better blacks and the i960 better resolution. .
The Espon r300 actually has better resolution than the i960 at 5760X1440 dpi versus the i960's 4800X1200 dpi. It is very hard to see the difference but the dots appear more easily on the i960.
Actually the i960 has a 4800x2400 dpi. Dig deep - its only printed in manuals right now and on some Canon web sites. They are reprinting boxes, signs and sales literature right now to reflect the change. Originally the lawyers wouldn't let us print 48x24 because it uses 48x12 at the very very bottom of the page but since Epson is now doing that with their 5760x1440 even though it does the same at the bottom, Canon followed suit. All i960s are the 48x24 resolution and manuals for the past 3 months have actually said that. So, actually the i960 has a 38% higher resolution (if my math is right?) and its ink droplet is smaller, so really the Epson dots would be the most visible.
pdxbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2004, 3:17 PM   #54

[quote="pdxbrian"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by csd
Actually the i960 has a 4800x2400 dpi...Originally the lawyers wouldn't let us print 48x24 because it uses 48x12 at the very very bottom of the page...
What do you Mean by 4800x1200 at the bottom of the page? I have seen some literature stating the Canon produced 4800x2400 dpi. But I thought it was on the European Models only.
Juice_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2004, 3:59 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxbrian
So, actually the i960 has a 38% higher resolution (if my math is right?) and its ink droplet is smaller, so really the Epson dots would be the most visible.
You should have told me this BEFORE I bought the Epson
Seriously - I couldn't see the difference - liked the card slots as well as Espon color/look so went with it. I think they are both great printers though.
I don't understand what is meant by resolution on bottom of page (??). Does the resolution actually change at the page edge?
cczych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2004, 1:37 PM   #56

[quote="Juice_22"]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by csd
Actually the i960 has a 4800x2400 dpi...Originally the lawyers wouldn't let us print 48x24 because it uses 48x12 at the very very bottom of the page...
What do you Mean by 4800x1200 at the bottom of the page? I have seen some literature stating the Canon produced 4800x2400 dpi. But I thought it was on the European Models only.
Nope, US Models too.

The way the Canon (and Epson I guess too) arranges the print head, the bottom 1/4 to 1/2 inch of the page is 48x12. Honestly I could not give you technical reason why we have to do that, but it has something to do with the way the Canon and Epson heads are laid out.
pdxbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2004, 7:18 PM   #57

Quote:
The way the Canon (and Epson I guess too) arranges the print head, the bottom 1/4 to 1/2 inch of the page is 48x12. Honestly I could not give you technical reason why we have to do that, but it has something to do with the way the Canon and Epson heads are laid out.
I'm having trouble making sense of this statement. I'll try tech support.....
cczych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2004, 9:10 PM   #58

Default R300 printer results

I got my Epson R300 yesterday. I had no problem loading the software, but have not figured out the download from my xD card yet (it is an operator thing). I will work on that this weekend. I have printed out several photos tonight. They are absolutely fantastic. I printed when photo that I had uploaded to commercial printshop for printing. The R300 print looks better than the commercial printshop. I am using Epson premium glossy photo paper and it looks great. I have no complaints about the R300. I researched for a very long time trying to decide between the HP 7760, Canon i960, and the Epson R300. I am glad that I purchased the R300. If you are looking for a great printer then buy the Epson R300.

Steve
harr840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2004, 1:29 PM   #59

Anyone figure out what the the resolution is on the i960 and R300 a while back there was some discussion over how the resolution is determined. And the last post was pretty vague.
Juice_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2004, 3:26 PM   #60
csd

The epson is 5760x1440 while the Cannon advertises 4800X1200 (although someone said this was changing).
Someone mentioned that both have lower resolution on the lower 1/4 to 1/2 of the page - I always print borderless pictures and see no lower resolution - nor does epson say there is lower on the bottom if you ask - so I assume this is just more forum folklore.
csd is offline   Reply With Quote