Old Feb 3, 2004, 9:45 PM   #61

Default General inkjet advice

:roll: - Long windy mode on - :roll:

alphabetical listing for those looking for a preference choose you own

Canon
index page numer 78 Canon i960 users manual
"Specifications
Printer
Printing resolution: 4800 X 2400* dpi. max.
*Maximum resolution of 4800 x 1200 dpi used at the bottom edge
of the page."
2 picoliter smallest droplet size

Epson
uses Resolution Performance Management "RPM" to determine what the printer is going to do. current maximum quoted resolution is 5760 x 1440 dpi and 3 picoliter smallest droplet size

HP
Up to 4800 x 1200-optimized dpi color when printing from a computer and 1200-input dpi & PhotoREt Pro
-link-
http://h20015.www2.hp.com/hub_search...cName=bpd08770

what all this stuff means is you'll get darn good output from any of these printers.

I notice that there's some grumbling about inkjet printouts in general.
- a little advice -
try the printer with it's software and OEM paper, ink combination to establish a baseline printout. All the manufactures provide the first set of ink and at least a couple of sample sheets of paper.

While it's true that they hope that you buy thier paper/ink combo it's also true that there is a lot of time and effort put into these products. Major point they want you to come back for more the customers gotta be happy or -?- what happens next time

Mixing paper/ink without some kind of reference printout isn't fair.
third party photo printing/manipulation software is great for fixing, changing things. Not going back to an established basline and making a random change is like throwing darts in the dark, you're gonna hit something but, you'll need the lights on unless you hear someone scream

p.s. don't forget that grain of salt! 8)
ltrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2004, 12:16 AM   #62

Default All models

Yep, it is true. All models of the Canon i960 are actually 4800x2400 dpi.

They just never wanted to advertise it as such in the USA for some legal reason. It does not print at 4800x2400 for the entire page, apparently the last few lines top and bottom are 4800x1200.

It will be nice to see them change this info in the USA.
Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2004, 12:51 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by csd
The epson is 5760x1440 while the Cannon advertises 4800X1200 (although someone said this was changing).
Someone mentioned that both have lower resolution on the lower 1/4 to 1/2 of the page - I always print borderless pictures and see no lower resolution - nor does epson say there is lower on the bottom if you ask - so I assume this is just more forum folklore.
That's my guess too.

I've examined my prints, at 2880 its not 1440 in the bottom or top.
LCohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2004, 8:57 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCohen
Quote:
Originally Posted by csd
The epson is 5760x1440 while the Cannon advertises 4800X1200 (although someone said this was changing).
Someone mentioned that both have lower resolution on the lower 1/4 to 1/2 of the page - I always print borderless pictures and see no lower resolution - nor does epson say there is lower on the bottom if you ask - so I assume this is just more forum folklore.
That's my guess too.

I've examined my prints, at 2880 its not 1440 in the bottom or top.
It won't be different with your 2880 prints - only the R300 and their other 5760x1440 printers. Not the 5760x720 - just 5760x1440. They do the same thing HP does calling it "optimized" dpi.

Really it doesn't matter and you likely can't tell a difference, but the difference doesn't exist.
pdxbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2004, 2:49 PM   #65

Default Non Epson cartridge message display

I recently purchased an Epson r300 photo printer, it is a very nice photo printer but it did use up ink cartridges a lot sooner than I like. The other day, I ran out of Epson cartridges and replaced the cartridges with a non Epson cartridge. To my surprise, the printer keep displaying a message telling me I am using a non Epson cartridge every time I print. I knew about the message since I have other Epson printer as well, but the message usually only display once when you first installed the non Epson cartridges. For the r300, the printer displays the message everytime you print. What is up with that and did anyone know a way around this? It's becoming a pain in the you know where.
akcfpny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2004, 12:13 PM   #66

Fill your own cartridges with eqivalent ink, you can get it here:

http://www.printerfillingstation.com... be very poor!
divedr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2004, 3:42 PM   #67

Default Re: Epson R300

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoso
Does anyone have any experience with this printer of know any sites that offer profesional reviews of it.

Thanks,
Mark
I have an R300 - does a beautiful job on photo's and Printable DVD's. One thing to watch out for. The output tray has a slight lip on the end that sometimes catches an 8.5 x 11 sheet, causing it to not advance. This causes a fault or a multiple image on the last 3/4 inch of the print. This can be avoided by always leaving a sheet of photopaper in the output tray so the print has nothing to catch on. I wrote to Epson about a month ago, but never heard from them. I guess they don't care.
rbrtpetersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2004, 2:18 PM   #68

I have the same issue with this lip .. I also leave a blank sheet on the output tray. I guess it's just a bad design.
el-diablo666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2004, 1:23 PM   #69

Can anyone give me thr straight dope on using Kodak Ultima Colorfast paper with the R300?

Also does anyone know the longevity of prints using Epson papers with this printer?

Thanks,

Bob
RobertinArabia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2005, 6:51 PM   #70

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the R300 and the R300M? Is is just a model change or for a particular store is there something more to it? Also, I am looking to buy one and need input on thebulk feedink tanks that I have seen available. Thanks!

larocca6 is offline   Reply With Quote