Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Dec 1, 2003, 12:51 PM   #1

Default Epson R300

Does anyone have any experience with this printer of know any sites that offer profesional reviews of it.

Thanks,
Mark
mkoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 1, 2003, 2:59 PM   #2

I haven't tried this myself .. but I want to compare this with HP 7760 which I know has proved me a lot good in terms of color and their LCD display. The price is same compared to R300 though.

-Sanjay
sanjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2003, 8:39 AM   #3

I've been using this priter for around a week now. The results .. for printing 10x8 photos anyway is excellent. I'm comparing this with my older Epson Photo 870 (5 color + black system) and it is faster and sharper. My concerns are ink usage .. it seems to be using light cyan and light magenta at an alarming rate, and there is a shortage of replacement cartridges at this time (something Epson assures me is only temporary).
el-diablo666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2003, 1:46 PM   #4

Any updates on the printer??
mkoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2003, 2:11 PM   #5

Printer is excellent .. printed on some CDs at the weekend .. great results. Inks are starting to appear on the shelves now .. so I should be able to stock up.

As for ink usage .. very heavy on the light magenta and light cyan. I have only printed high quality photos with this printer .. so please bear that in mind. Settings are best photo on glossy photo paper, printing 10x8 photos (or 2 - 7x5, 4 - 3.5x5, 3 - 4x6) .. so the coverage is 95% or so of the paper. I've printed 85 sheets so before running out (as descbribed below).

This is what I see so far:
Black .. cart 1/2 empty
Cyan .. cart 1/3 empty
Light cyan .. cart totally empty
Magenta .. cart 2/3 empty
Light magenta .. cart totally empty
Yellow .. cart 3/4 empty

My older Epson Photo 870 printer gave me 22 sheets of the same photos from one color cart (didn't seem to use much black). I feel at this rate the printer will be a little more expensive to run than my old one (despite the fact I'm sure I've been throwing away colored ink when one runs dry in the old 5 color cart). I don't know where Epson thinks the savings will be from having 5 separate carts ... I would love to know the cc of each chamber and do a price comparison. One color cart for the 870 is nearly the same price as one for the R300 .. but the 870 is 5 colors .. I bet the R300 doesn't hold 5 times the ink.

The pictures from the R300 are much truer in color though .. so that makes the added expense a bit more bearable I guess.
Old Dec 17, 2003, 2:39 PM   #6

The whole photocyan and photomagenta issue you guys speak of is definitely common among 6 color individual tank printers. I know just about every 6 color Canon I have ever worked with tends to use 2 of the PC/PM tanks per 1 of every other color. Advantage though is you may spend 24 bucks replacing those but your other tanks are 1/2 or 3/4 full!

Interesting that you speak of the R300 doing the same thing as my Canons but the 925 and the other 6 color but 5 colors in the cartridge Epsons didn't do that (or at least to my knowledge/experience). You wonder if they are defaulting to a lesser accuracy of shading in the 5 color/cartridge printers just for the sake of not completely screwing people with the ink and then in the 6 color/cartridge ones they can afford to use the most accurate color combos/shading.
pdxbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2003, 4:02 PM   #7

It is interesting .. I used to watch my tank levels go down almost evenly with the 5 in one carts (with the 870) .. just showing slightly more use from the PM and PC chambers. As you said .. it is almost a 2 to 1 difference. I had read somewhere that Epson only monitored one (or two) of the ink levels in their carts .. once that was was low/empty, it was replacement time. I have just finished a 5 in one cart .. I'll open it up to see how much of the other colors are unused (I guess I'll find out how much I've been wasting over the years).
Also, I never seemed to use much black when printing portrait style photos. This newer R300 is using much more black. The plus side is that the photos are much more realistic .. more subtle .. skin tones are better .. shading is improved.
Old Dec 18, 2003, 3:34 PM   #8

:roll: Hi everyone, I BOUGHT THE EPSON STYLUS PHOTO 900R and now I have found out there is a LAWSUIT
Search Epson Lawsuit or got to PCMAG.com for info ...The LAWSUIT INVOLVES RIPPING CONSUMERS OFF WITH INK CARTRIDGES, APPARENTLY THERE IS 38% ink left in the Cartridges, when the printer tells you to replace!! I HAVE NOT USED THE PRINTER AS OF YET.

P.S. SAVE THOSE INK RECEIPTS, THEY MAY BE VALUABLE SOMEDAY!!!
ALICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2003, 4:43 PM   #9

Hey Alice

I can't say I'm shocked or surprised. Could you post a link to some info on this .. thanks

Did you grab the 300R ??
Old Dec 18, 2003, 11:42 PM   #10

Ahh I think alice is just trolling. There is a lawsuit but no biggie. I've used the r300 its insanely fast for an epson. The colors on it compared to previous Epson plug in printers are excellent.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote