Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

View Poll Results: Which Printer?
Canon i960 4 66.67%
HP9760 2 33.33%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old Dec 1, 2003, 9:37 PM   #1

Default Canon i960 or HP 9760?

I want to buy a printer for use at home, both text and that does an excellent job on graphics.
Future use might be as photo printing.
Iv`e been reading the reviews about the HP 9760 and the Canon i860 and i960.

Iv`e pretty much decided on either the HP 9760 or the Canon i960.

I like the fact that the HP has the memory slots but don`t know that if that is that important.

Excellent printing(graphics/photos) are important and economy
is somewhat.

I`ve read good comments about Canon`s support and that the printers have some printed, detailed booklets?

I would appreciate any comments that users have that would assist me.

Thanks
Buddy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 2, 2003, 8:54 AM   #2

I have the i960 and have to vote that way!!
magicmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2003, 9:27 PM   #3

Default i960 vs 7960

i was really on the fence until i looked up linux driver support.

hp sponsors linux drivers. canon: "linux who?"

for me, that's a major factor in a difficult decision! (ok, discount me because i haven't actually purchased yet...)
lupus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2003, 12:29 PM   #4

Default Uh . . Don't you mean 7960?

HP 9760 was a Pavillion desktop PC a few years ago with a P4 1.4ghz processor and Windows ME. I think Windows ME was a HUGE mistake by Microsoft so my vote goes to the Canon i960.

Seriously though, with you saying "Future use might be as photo printing" I have to wonder why you took the i860 out of the equation. It will produce comparable plain paper output (which seems to be what you're looking for) to the HP for less cost. You could get the i860 now, and then wait for the next line of photo printers later. UNLESS your "later" is really sooner than you lead us to believe.

I love my i960 but I also admire the 7960 as well. With the grey cartridge it produces some excellent blank and white prints (photo).

I guess my vote for you is the 7960 since you seem to be leaning more towards plain paper printing and cost doesn't seem to be an issue. The i960 will do decent plain paper printing but the HP does better on a wider range of paper brands. You get the benifit of a new head in each cartridge (though you pay a premium for that benifit).
muzzy996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2003, 11:11 AM   #5

I would have to go with the HP. I've had an 860 which was a great printer but developed banding issues and would occasionaly gunk up its black color head. I recently went with the hp7960 (was going to go with the 7760 but splurged at the last minute). It is the best printer in terms of quality and output to date... at least for now (technology always marches on).

ps.
i stay away from epson printers, they have a tendancy to die right around the time the warranty expires (once is bad enough, but two times tells me to stay away from the brand.)

good luck with your printer choice.
simonlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2003, 5:01 AM   #6

I DEFINETLY, DEFINETLY recommend the Canon i960 over the HP. I just purchased the i960 myself (after much research) and was blown away by the print quality on 4x6 borderless photos. I swear they look just as good, if not better, than photo lab prints. Again, I did tons of research prior to making the decision and I can tell you this:

First of all, you won't find a single bad review out there on the Canon- can't say the same about the HP.

Secondly, you will save money on ink. The HP only has 1 cartidge that holds all of the colors. So if you run out of 1 color, you will have to throw the whole thing away and dish out $40 for a new one. The Canon has seperate ink tanks for each color and a new cartidge only costs about $11.

Thirdly, the quality is much better. HP claims the same resolution, but it's not the same quality. The Canon i960 has a 2-picoliter width between drops. The i860 has 4. All HPs have either 4 or 5.

Lastly, the onscreen LCD is not worthy of the extra money as it is always recommended that you view the pictures on the computer first anyway. There are usually details that you cant see on the LCD. Thus there will be many photos you either won't want to print or want to touch up before you do so. Not to mention that you will want to specify the paper type (glossy, photo pro, etc) and probably want to select other options (such as quality, vivid colors, noise reduction, etc).

Stick with the Canon and you won't regret your decision.

I hope my advice helped. -Ryan
ryedizzel is offline   Reply With Quote