Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Aug 7, 2002, 5:53 PM   #1

Default 4-1-1 on the HP 5550.

Anyone familiar with the Hewlett-Packard 5550 photo printer? I hear the HP is introducing a brand-new line of printers...and that this model is the latest...and that it's very affordable. Any comments??? Thanks.
DaKine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 11, 2002, 10:09 PM   #2

So far it looks really good on HP photo paper with the photo cartridges in it.(PS it takes along time to dry) With standard cartirdges in it the quality is really not there.

Plus it has a tendency at max resolutions to oversaturate colors like blue and red. Plus it does'nt even give an option to tweak that out.

I think the real issue is that its basically a photo printer that prints text as well but the only problem is that it has the same cost per page as a photo printer at the same time. the math I put together puts it at over .10 a sheet for black printing. Ouch!!!!

Personally if you get this printer. Dont forget to keep your old printer around for cheap black and white.

[Edited on 8-12-2002 by Gregersonsalvage]
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2002, 10:31 PM   #3

Watch out for word play, "photo quality" is not photo printer. Photo printers are 5 colors plus black.. The 5550 is 3 plus black.
Gary
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2002, 12:27 AM   #4

Actually As much as I hate to say it this printer does have the ability to go over to 6 colors. HP on thier new lineup has the ability to swap the black for a 3 color cartridge. In doing so it does some prints that are hard to compete with. The resolution is supposedly 4800x1200dpi but I really dont think it its a true resolution Since they tried to apply that to a 5 picoliter printer that uses the old 78d and 15 cartridges. The new ones and I have printed photos on it seems to do a fair job at printing very comparably to the canon s900. Only problem is that it does have a blue hue to it on the prints and does oversaturate alot on the primary colors. This printer should be branded a photo printer for its cost per page pricing.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote