Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Dec 10, 2003, 8:50 AM   #1

Default canon i960 vs epson stylus 300r

I have narrowed down my photo printer search to these two models...The i960 is a popular printer and gets great reviews...but I can't seem to find any reviews on the epson 300R? The 300r offers similar to better features.....Does anybody have any information (particularly regarding print quality) that might be helpful
doginapound is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 10, 2003, 10:02 AM   #2

the R300 is just starting to be delivered. give it a chance to get into peoples hands. it seems today its at least 3 months from announcement to actual delivery.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2003, 8:29 AM   #3

I am also interested in this comparison. I have had the R300 for just over a week and the print results are great. My concern seems to be the amount of ink this printer uses. I could get around 24 10x8 prints from my older Epson Photo 870 which used a 5 color cart + black. I'm seeing a huge hit on light cyan and magenta with the R300 .. if this usage rate continues as is, I can see this printer being expensive to run. Does anyone know of a site that runs comparisons between printers (specifically ink usage).
el-diablo666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2003, 11:44 PM   #4

Just don't print at max quality and your inks will last longer.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2003, 12:50 PM   #5

I am really looking into the Canon I960 I think thats acutally what I am going to get. I am also thinking about getting a B&W laser printer to cover the plain text prints to save on ink and so that the prints will be faster
SnowPunk98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2003, 2:58 PM   #6

I had the same dilemna over which of these two printers to use. I went to several stores to see them in action and had a local Best Buy print one of my pictures off of my SD Card. The Canon rep had me print from the Canon i900D (Which he said was comparable) and the Epson R300. The Canon looked to produce slightly crisper detail. But the Epson repoduce a much richer Photo. The colors were more Vibrant. Both photos were produced using Canon & Epson Premium Photo Paper. After see both its a tough call. But the Epson won out because of its excellent color reproduction.
Juice_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2003, 5:06 AM   #7

I just purchased the Canon i960 and the borderless 4x6 photo prints are perfect. You can't tell the difference from them v.s. a photo lab print.

I am extremely satisfied with this printer and would recommend it to anyone!
ryedizzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2003, 8:59 PM   #8

I had the very same choice to make today. Well I didn't even know about the R300 until I went in to buy a Canon i960 after reading the reviews. Unfortunately they only had i950's in the store and told me that the 960 would not be released here in Ireland for another few months. The i950 was 400 euro :shock: :shock:

While I was there an Epson rep came in and asked if I had seen the new R300. He did a demo and printed out 3 4x6 cards on Epson paper. The results were as good as I've seen from any of my 35mm prints and the colour was fantastic. Best of all was the price at 199 euro all in. So I bought it there and then.

I'll use it and let you know how I get on.
Mac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2004, 1:42 PM   #9

I've been using the R300M for about a month now .. I'm very impressed with it .. excellent photos when printed on Kodak Premium Photo Paper. I've also used the Epson Glossy Photo Paper with great results. Prints are done at 10x8, 5x7, 6x4, 5x3 .. very fine detail. Extremely vibrant and true colors .. even when printed straight from the card. I'm using a Canon S400 camera .. so I know I'm printing from a good source.
el-diablo666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2004, 4:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by el-diablo666
I've been using the R300M for about a month now .. I'm very impressed with it .. excellent photos when printed on Kodak Premium Photo Paper. I've also used the Epson Glossy Photo Paper with great results. Prints are done at 10x8, 5x7, 6x4, 5x3 .. very fine detail. Extremely vibrant and true colors .. even when printed straight from the card. I'm using a Canon S400 camera .. so I know I'm printing from a good source.
which paper did you get the best results with??? I just purchased to EPSON RX500 (uses same color print mech as the 300r but is an all-in-one unit) and bought Epson glossy photo paper, should I have gotten the Kodak paper??
rodH is offline   Reply With Quote