Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Dec 11, 2003, 8:36 AM   #1

Default Canon v Epson

Good morning everyone,

I am posting to this site for the first time, although I've enjoyed the reviews for quite some time. This site is a big reason why I chose my Olympus C-740 digital camera. With the new DC, I am in the market for a photo printer. After substantial due diligence, I think I have it narrowed down to the Canon i900D, the Canon i960 or the Epson Stylus Photo 960. Can anyone with more knowledge on the subject than I (which would include just about everybody) offer some personal views? Why is the Canon 960 cheaper than the Canon 900 when it is more than twice as fast?

As a related question, should I be at all concerned with the disparity between the buffer/RAM capabilities of the two Canon printers (248KB v 80KB, respectively)?

Thanks much in advance!!
traderdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 17, 2003, 9:52 PM   #2

I had 3 Epson 960 (consecutively) all bought from the Epson on-line store-- each suffered hardware failure and Epson tech kept sending me another-The first one wouldn't recognize it's own epson ink cartridges-the second worked for a week and then when one cartridge ran out- the ink tray wouldn't position itself to change the cartridge so that printer was sent back to the store-the third worked for a few days and then wouldnt recognize the ink cartridges (Epson) again and then again the ink tray wouldn't move-I refused the offer of a 4th printer-I loved my old Epson 740 and I loved the way the 960 printed true to the color image on my monitor but not one of them worked more than a week- I am now contemplating the purchase of a cannon because I'm afraid there is a major flaw in the Epson engineering-the worst part is I already bought ink cartridges for the 960 and can't return them even though I never used them
flying cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2003, 8:03 AM   #3

FC,

Thanks much for the input. It was even by pure curiosity that I even checked back here (it was getting to be embarrassing having nobody respond so I stop a few days ago). Anyway, between the time of my posting and now, I made up my mind and purchased the Canon i900D and I have to say that I am very, very happy with my decision so far. The quality of the pictures is actually even better than I imagined it would be. You really have to look very closely at at a full 8 X 11.5 picture to tell it is digital. It is certainly fast enough for most purposes (I printed nine sheets of nine-to-a-page wallets last night in about 15 mins). And noise? Forget about it - it doesn't make any once it is printing.

Good luck on your decision and thanks again for the response!
traderdave is offline   Reply With Quote