Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Dec 13, 2003, 12:11 AM   #1

Default My big photo dilemma...

Ok I'm getting a Canon A70 camera, and was planning to get a Canon i850 printer to print my photos, but now I'm kinda hesitating. I've heard that inkjet prints will fade, and that's a big problem for a guy like me, who would like to look at his prints in 30 years and remember the times, or give some portraits to my family for them to keep.

Am I better off just paying to get my photos printed at the photo store? Or is there hope?
nirvanajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 13, 2003, 7:54 AM   #2

Default Re: My big photo dilemma...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvanajack
Ok I'm getting a Canon A70 camera, and was planning to get a Canon i850 printer to print my photos, but now I'm kinda hesitating. I've heard that inkjet prints will fade, and that's a big problem for a guy like me, who would like to look at his prints in 30 years and remember the times, or give some portraits to my family for them to keep.

Am I better off just paying to get my photos printed at the photo store? Or is there hope?
If you are really interested in longevity, you need to look at an Epson 2200 or, if you can wait a few months, the new Epson R800 Which should be on sale in about March and uses the same pigmented inks as the 2200 but is limited to an 8.5" carriage...

I hope this helps!

<TED>
tedj101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2003, 8:09 AM   #3

The Hiti 630 and 640 series will print photos that will match that of a photo store. These are dyesub printers that place a protective coat on the print. They should last indefintely. The cost of each print will be 40 cents. Check Steve's review under printer reviews. The only drawback is that they only produce 6X4 prints.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2003, 12:21 PM   #4

Nirvana,

I second gibsonpd on printer choice. I have the Hi-Ti 630 PL and am really happy with it.

Everyone who've I've shown my prints to, were suprised to learn they were printed with a printer and more suprised when hearing the cost of the printer. Great little printer and no worries of clogged heads.

I am considering another printer later, to print larger photos. Of my choices:

1) Canon i960
2) Epson R800 (not yet out but a current review is in the process)
3) Olympus P-440 which prints up to 8x10 and is a dye sub like my Hi-Ti

In seeing the ongoing review of the Epson R800 (using pigment inks) I like it better than the Canon as it appears it shows more details. However, it does appear to oversaturate shaded areas. If this can be a simple correction, then Canon is out.
The Olympus P-440 drawback is cost. Printer and overall costs to print but IS a dye sub printer.

I ran a test on a print printed with my mothers inkjet printer and a print made with the Hi-Ti. When running my mother in-laws photo underwater, the ink bled and picture-GONE.
I then took the Hi-Ti photo, ran it underwater, blew off the water and then wiped it on my sweatshirt. Picture fine!

To be fair, I don't think my mother in-laws printer is of a higher quality . I suspect with higher quality inkjet printers, the better they may perform when submitted to abuse tests.

Curious, has anyone here run such a test ? If so, the results?

Anyway. If you want a quality print, one that applies a protective overcoat, no worries of clogged heads, simply to operate and very affordable...then I highly recommend the Hi-Ti provided you don't mind being limited to the 4x6 size.

If you have kids, they may also appreciate the creative options this printer offers. Such as: printing stickers, adding a template/calendar month to their photo or making their own bookmarks. You can also add text to photos with this printer.

Very easy to use!
informativetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2003, 12:42 PM   #5

Yeah, but the thing is I'm on a budget. I can't spend more than 200 dollars on a printer. That's why I was asking if I'm better off sending them to print at the photo store.
Old Dec 13, 2003, 1:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Yeah, but the thing is I'm on a budget. I can't spend more than 200 dollars on a printer. That's why I was asking if I'm better off sending them to print at the photo store.
The Hi-Ti 630PL can be had for around $110-120.

As for the costs of printing at home versus photo store (online or not)...

It seems to me, having a printer is about convenience and control. Can you save more money by having your digital photos printed from a store? I can't say for sure.

For my 4x6 printer, I get 50 sheets of paper w/ribbon at about $20. per box. That equals out to be .40 cents per print.
For me, I do like the convenience of printing at home and being able to alter my photos to my liking, if I so choose.

The Hi-Ti suited my current budget, while giving me an excellent/durable print.
Old Dec 13, 2003, 1:53 PM   #7

thank you very much! so the canon i850 is definately out right? I mean will it at least last 20 years?
Old Dec 13, 2003, 4:52 PM   #8

Quote:
thank you very much! so the canon i850 is definately out right? I mean will it at least last 20 years?
If I were in your shoes; small allowance to purchase a printer, choices being either the:

1) Canon i850

or

2) Hi-Ti 630 PL (as a note, it is abit loud)

and 4x6 prints were adequate for my needs...my choice would be the Hi-Ti.

From what I have read: dye-sub printers claim better longevity/durability.
You will hear debates on this. Not so much discrediting dye sub prints longevity but that ink-jets prints offer longevity, too. Dependent on paper brands/types, environmental conditions and the way in which you handle the print.

I used my own judgement. I was happy to see the Hi-Ti print withstand my water test.

Gibsonpd will better be able to attest to Hi-Ti longevity as I know he has had his printer much longer than I have had mine.

As a note, you can request from Hi-Ti a sample photo: http://www.hitouchimaging.com/contactus.asp

You might ask that they send you a sample photo taken with their 630 series printers. The 640 having a higher "DPI" and the one that is out of your price range.
I have heard tell that an individual sent in their own photo, to have them print it off.
I requested a sample photo and they sent one out to me promptly.

Now if you need larger prints, I would opt for the Canon i960 over the i850 as the i960 offers 6 ink tanks versus the i850's 4 ink tanks. The i960 which can be had for just under your $200. limit.

My personal feeling is; if you don't mind the limited print size (that being 4x6) you would be quite satisfied with the Hi-Ti.
I was in the same boat as you. Having a limited budget and after doing my research, I opted for the Hi-Ti.

I've also kept in mind that later, should I want larger prints and after having stashed away some savings (of course)...I can then pick up a larger printer. Then, prices will have dropped and/or new/better printers will be out on the market. By the time I can afford another one, my options may be greater. Or should I say, better.

I hope this has helped you out some. I know how overwhelming it can be when you are in the market for a piece of "technology". Research, preference, your own "feeling" about the product reviews and of course, finances play a part in your final decision.

I can only add that in purchasing my Hi-Ti...it has been one of my best, most econimcal purchases yet. As for the fade issue, I haven't heard complaints about the Hi-Ti prints and of course, no concern over clogged heads.
Old Dec 13, 2003, 5:08 PM   #9

Check out their download section as well. Here you will see more of what the printer offers:

http://www.hitouchimaging.com

A couple of reviews (the first being Steve's review):

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2002_...iti_630ps.html

http://www.megapixel.net/cgi-bin/fs_...cle-630ps.html

Keep in mind that they are reviewing the 630PS model which is a stand-alone model.

Both the PS and PL are exactly the same, with the exception of the PS being able to print photos without a computer, whereas the PL requires that you do use a computer to print from.
Old Dec 13, 2003, 6:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Curious, has anyone here run such a test ? If so, the results?
I have a friend with an Epson 2200 who gave it a beer test--I believe it was dark beer--and the print came through fine if just a tad tipsy.

Sounds like a joke, but he actually did pour beer on a print to see what the combo of liquid and alcohol would do to the ink.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote