Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Dec 14, 2003, 6:23 PM   #1

Default Wide Carraige HP on the horizon?

Steve...

Have you heard any rumblings regarding a wide carraige version of the 8 ink HP on the horizon?

I'm currently printing my pictures off the same printer I use for every day use (and changing the 56 and 58 cartridges every time is getting boring) (HP psc 2410 photosmart all in one). I'd like to have a separate printer solely for printing photographs and have been considering either the Epson 2200 or the Canon !9100. After the rave reviews for the HP 7960, I've been thinking HP again.

Also, should I notice a significant improvement in color printing with the 8 ink technology of HP over the current HP I have with a 57 & 58 cartridge?

Thanks for the site and information!
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 14, 2003, 7:35 PM   #2

ohenry

HP just came out with a wide carriage (13") printer. Its called the Deskjet 9650. It used the 7550 technology, like your 2410. It is not an 8 color, just 6 color. One draw back, it can't do full bleed 13x19 prints. They will have a border on them.

I believe the big difference between the 8 color and 6 color prints will be in black and grey tones. If you like black and white images, the 8 color is great at that.

The one thing I have come to dislike about the HP printers is the "roll around" of the papers. The Canon and Epson are straight through. This is much easier and nicer for prints, at least in my mind. You also have more flexabliity with paper thickness.

Hope this helps
Bill
Speedie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2003, 7:47 PM   #3

Thanks Bill. I was aware of the other HP wide carraige printers, but was more interested in the 8 ink technology. You're saying that I probably wouldn't notice a significant difference in color prints between the two HP's?

I'm not sure how much B/W printing I'll be doing and I'm still leaning toward the Canon. But I really can't complain about the results that I've been getting from my HP 2410. I'll probably wait until early next year to purchase, so I still have plenty of time to obsess :roll:
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2003, 8:42 PM   #4

Ohenry

I haven't looked really close to the prints off of the 8 color HP's. You might notice some deeper blacks and better black/gray shades. My I9100 does great prints with deep blacks and good shades. Many people that I show them to can't believe they were from my computer. The 13x19's are great.

For HP, I am not really sure, as they just came out with those printers. If they make an 8 color one, Canon and Epson will need to get their butt's in gear to keep up with it. Have fun obsessing over the printers.

Bill
Speedie is offline   Reply With Quote