Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Dec 16, 2003, 12:45 AM   #1

Default Panorama printing on Canon i960?

Hi,

New to the forum, and new to digital photography and printing. I'm shopping for a photo printer and have narrowed the choice down to Canon's i960 and Epson's R300. As far as quality of prints is concerned, they seem fairly equal, with perhaps a slight nod to the i960 as well as I can tell from reading this forum and everything else I can find on the net.

But, being able to print panoramas is an important factor for me. According the Epson site, the R300 can print 8.3" x 24" and 4" x 44." But even a look at the i960's PDF user's guide didn't turn up any hope that the i960 can print a "wider" print than 14" (the "legal" size: 8.5" x 14").

Have any i960 users found a way to print a wider panoram?

Thanks
Uncle Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 16, 2003, 8:40 AM   #2

Default Re: Panorama printing on Canon i960?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Q
According the Epson site, the R300 can print 8.3" x 24" and 4" x 44
I have just bought an end-of-range Epson 890 precisely because it can do long thin prints for panoramas. I'm hoping for 8"x44". It does this by means of paper feed from a roll. I'm waiting for my special order paper roll at present. I understand I'll be limited to the 44" maximum of the printer software, unless I seek special measures (see the Panoramas/Stitching forum near here - http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...ic.php?t=17177). I understand the replacements for the 890 are the Epson 925 and 935 in the UK.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2003, 5:22 PM   #3

Alan, thanks for the info on Epson printers, and for the link to this site's Panorama forum. Kenww provides insight into the complexity of the "ultra-wide" printing challenge. I see that "tiling" may be a necessary part of the process.

No owner of a Canon i960 posted a solution to conventional panoramas - never mind the "ultra-wides" - either here or on comps.periphs.printers newsgroup. I'm beginning to accept the fact that not only is the Canon i960 incapable of anything wider than 14." but, most likely, all of Canon's inkjets. Why? Well, I'd guess that it's because Canon doesn't sell a paper wider than 14."

To permit printing on the wider paper, they (Canon) would have to admit that another manufacturer's paper will actually work on a Canon printer. Rather than permit that heresy, they have apparently chosen to cripple the printer driver to disallow the possibility. If this is the case, I find it disgusting and reprehensible on Canon's part. As far as I'm concerned, they have cut off their nose to spite their face. I'll go for the Epson R300 just to get the panorams. If I am wrong, I will apologize. If I am not wrong, Canon owes an apology to everyone. I say consider boycotting them....
Uncle Q is offline   Reply With Quote