Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Dec 25, 2003, 5:47 PM   #1

Default Canon I9100 Print Quality issues

I just bought the canon i9100 and have had a fair amount of trouble getting the the print quality I was after. After spending 2 hours with customer support and eventually getting a replacement printer sent to me the overal print quality is till less than what I expected. All the reviews I have read say wonderful things about this product.

What I am seeing is "banding" or "color modulation" running horizontally along the print. I see it from over a foot away. They are not white lines but more a modulation in color causing a banding effect in straight evenly spaced lines along the entire image.

Has anyone seen this? Are my expectations too high? Should this print look at least as good as a one hour photo print?
iamkramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 25, 2003, 10:12 PM   #2

Default More information on my issue

During my 3 calls with product support we went through every configuration scenario that they had. In the end I was transfered to a higher level technician who was also unable to resolve the issue. He intimated that this might simply be the quality the printer gives and that the I960 has improvements in the print head that will effect the print quality. These improvements have not yet made it to the I9100. Man this is frustrating...help!

I did read through the archives and cannot find a solution.
Old Dec 26, 2003, 10:39 AM   #3

My brother in-law went through a similar problem... he was using the printer for his design business and needed the prints to be as good as possible. He ended up breaking down and going for an HP and has been using it since. He couldn't resolve the issue with 9100 to his satisfaction. It was his experience that steered me toward hp for my own printer a couple of months ago (9760) and I've been happy with it.

Good luck.
simonlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2003, 9:51 PM   #4

Ditto for me on the "banding" or "color modulation" that iamkrammer described. Just got mine this past Monday and hooked it up today. I have spent literally most of the day trying to remove the banding problem. It doesn't stand out like a sore thumb on mine, but you certainly can see it upon close examination. I have tried settings, different paper, Canon's paper, head cleaning, head alignment, driver updates...ect.

I did notice one thing. On the page that prints when you do a print head alignment, even the numbered blocks you are supposed to select that indicate a solid block(?), have very fine, incomplete lines running through them. I'm not sure if this is associated with the banding but, if I were a bettin man...

Also, print head alignments that I did hours apart show the "best" numbered block one or two numbers different than one I did previously. Talk about inconsistency!

Don't get me wrong, the prints from a normal or even casual examining distance look great but, when you start looking harder it's definitely there. I thought I was just being nit-picky until I ran across this post and a few others on Google. So now I have figure out what to do next. Certainly I am not looking foward to speaking with a Canon tech support person for 2 hours to find out what I already know. If anyone has any advice or solutions, please let us know..

bclapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2003, 10:48 PM   #5

Default Returning my I9100

After numerous calls with Canon and alot of review of the forum discussions I have decided to return the canon ASAP. The printer is great if you don't mind only examining your prints from a distance, but I'm a bit too picky. This printer does not meet expectations for fine art photography, bottom line...

If you've gone through print head alignments, nozle checks, change to quite mode then you've done everything a tech on the phone would do.

Furthermore, I believe this is something canon is very much aware of and most of the techs avoid when on the phone. Only after numerous requests for an escalation to a knowledgable tech did I get tranfered. Finally the tech reluctantly admitted the printer just does not print that well and he suggested the canon I960 since it has improvements to the printer quality. A disapointing experience. I realize this is cutting (bleeding) edge technology but I think Canon's marketing department is doing what you would expect, stretching the truth. For many people this printer would be great, but if you tend to look a bit closer than forget it.

I think I'll be pulling the trigger on the Epson 2200....Thanks for all the feedback and good luck...

Kramer
Old Jan 6, 2004, 7:47 PM   #6

I have to say that I have the canon 9100 and a dye sub printer and think my 9100 is nothing less then stunning. This is probably not the problem you guyz are having , but when I first got the printer I used paper other then canon and the pictures were horrible. I switched to canon paper and lo and behold stunning.
DylanMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2004, 10:37 AM   #7

i had the same problems and its going back next week, the quality of the prints are very good but the banding i cant live with. im thinking of sticking with canon though the newer printers like the 960 or 950 dont have the problem, im not to bothered about A3 anymore. ive had epsons for years and the speed and colour of the canons is a much needed change, i was always messing around with the colour settings on the epsons and i still had trouble. i remember recently i thought i had cracked it with the epson colour i printed out a grey car and got it as close as i could to the screen, i left it on the desk and someone happend to see it just a person who knows nothing about printers and i said thats the colour of my car and they said o you got a green car have you after that i new i needed a change.

I do like to print black and white mind and the canons a not the best i now but i know people with the epson 2100 who are really struggling getting the pictures to look real black and white they usually have a hint of coulor there somewhere.

I would love to know what you have bought now. im going to try the 950 or 960 i think they have a smaller droplet size this should get rid of the grainy look that i was also dissapointed about on the 9100.
eddiedavies is offline   Reply With Quote