Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Dec 28, 2003, 2:26 PM   #1

Default About to give my new R300 printer a flying lesson!

Hi Again guys. As per a previous post I purchased an EPson Photo R300 for it's excellent photos and borderless printing as well as 6 seperate inks. It fitted all my checklist and was a good price......

I'm about to send it through my top window unless I can get to grips with it. :x It prints excellent 6x4's and A4 borderless no problems. My problem is that I have a big quantity of 5x7 glossy snapshots and the software has no 5x7 option.... only A4 6x4 10x6 A6 and wallet!!! This is in the epson software supplied. I've tried printing directly from Photoshop5 and have all the printer setting right as far as I can see and all I get is a small pic about 1 inch x .5 inch..

Any help would be greatly appreciated....
Mac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 28, 2003, 4:14 PM   #2
Administrator

Doesn't the printer driver have an option for a Custom paper size?

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2003, 5:21 PM   #3

Doesn't seem to be a custom size option. Can you believe that?

Any ideas?
Old Dec 28, 2003, 9:12 PM   #4
Administrator

Must be why I am a happy Canon user then

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2003, 5:07 PM   #5

Maybe I should have spalshed out for the Canon i960

Anyway after a long discussion with tech support today ( several discussions in fact) I'm no better off. They kept telling me what to do and said that there must be a 5x7 listed but eventually when he went and get a printer himself and installed it on his comp he couldn't do it either.

He said that it's a software problem and not a printer problem as my printer can print 5x7 but for some unknown reason it's not included in the software. He went to check it out and said he would get back to me but no word so far......

Just an update.
Old Dec 29, 2003, 11:47 PM   #6

I saw your post. I'm sorry to hear about the problems. I'm surprised you have this problem. Now I haven't printed in 5x7 but when I go to print my 4x6's, I have the option to choose 5x7 (with and Without border) I hope C.S. can figure it out.
Juice_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2003, 12:14 PM   #7

That is very strange. Are you in the US or Europe?

If you can, take it back and get an i960...they print 5x7s real well

Also, Mac1, Cannon G3 is spelled Canon G3 (sorry its just a pet peeve of mine)
pdxbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2003, 8:02 PM   #8

Thanks Brian,
You are of course correct. I stand (or Sit) corrected

As regards the i960 here in Ireland it is over twice the price :eek

I've eventually managed to print 5x7's borderless but after many many hours playing with photoshop. It's not included with the software on this side of the Atlantic for some strange reason!

Would make life a lot easier for me if it was as 6x4's are so easy. Despite my software gripes the photo's are fantastic and on a par with anything from my Canon 500N SLR.

My only concern so far is the amount of ink it seems to use. The guy at tech support when I mentioned this said that if it's the first set of cartridges a lot of the ink is used to charge the print head on the first time you use the printer but all subsequent cartridges will last full life. Probably bull but it was a good story ( I'm a sucker for a good story )

Thanks all for the help.
Old Dec 31, 2003, 8:10 PM   #9

Hi Mac1

And Happy New Year

I don't know about printer policy in the US but here in good old rip off Britain it's not unusual for new printers to be supplied with 1/2 filled cartridges/toner so you don't get a good indication of cartridge life from the 1st set.

As a rough guide I have a Canon i850 which I do quite a bit of printing on and I go through 1 set of cartridges a month. Luckily I'm refilling with InkjetGoodies inks so a full set of refills (all 4 cartridges) only costs about 1
phaedra1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2004, 1:29 PM   #10

My understanding is the inks supplied with the R300 are the same as bought off the shelf .. (I can remember HP supplying half size carts with some of their models). I had also heard that the first set use more ink .. something to do with the fact the heads have to be filled/primed. I went thru some of my first set at an alarming rate .. but it seems to have slowed down now.

Some stores will charge you for the ink cartridges on used returned printers that aren't faulty.
el-diablo666 is offline   Reply With Quote