Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Dec 28, 2003, 3:55 PM   #1

Default What printer is used for this type of job?

I have been wanting to produce postcards, but I have not found out what supplies I need. I figure that I would use a 55lbs Frio Gloss Paper from that online store, Red River. I am also looking for a printer that 4"x6" quality equal to that of a store bought postcard. Cost is not too much of an issue when it comes to the equipment, but when it comes to paper and ink I am trying to make sure I have a very efficient setup. Any suggestions?
Immerschoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 28, 2003, 9:19 PM   #2
Administrator

Forget inkjet, you want dye sub for that job for the waterproof and fingerprint-resistant qualities. Heavy duty use would best be served by a printer like the Hi-Ti 740DL, it was made for small minilab use.

See my review here:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2002_...iti_640dl.html

The 100-print kits of paper and ribbon is $30, the printer is about $700.

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2003, 11:23 PM   #3

Thank you for the reply.

I have seen the Hi-Touch printer line, I thought it would be a good choice for the job, but there were a few things that may be a problem. You have used the printer, I dont believe its compatible with any other paper, besides the one designed for it, is this true? If this is so, for postcards that might be a problem if the paper isnt thick enough, do you remember the thickness/strength of the paper? Print cost seemed to be a little on the high side per print, but if all else is right, that might be a little easier to solve.
Immerschoen is offline   Reply With Quote