Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Dec 30, 2003, 7:55 AM   #1

Default Canon - 8 years of fun and frolic - soapbox - hints

Okie, over 8 years ago I started using digital cameras as a full time business, I have taken/printed and sold photos all over the USA in large events, rodeos, state fairs, car shows, etc. All on site, on the spot prints, I have printed in the middle of fields, in sandstorms, snowstorms, all types of humidity and weather. In all this time I have used Canon as my printers.

First of all let me warn new printer buyers, the sales people probably do NOT know what printer is right for you, they are there to sell you INK, before you buy, LOOK at the cost of each ink replacment, ASK how much ink is in each cartridge, do they sell 2 sizes of cartridges (one of them HALF full) ? BIG BIG HINT that they are out to rip you off. HP, Epson and Lexmark are in the INK business.

If you have to replace a whole 30-40 buck cartridge to replace ONE color in that cartridge, you are getting ripped off !

Three colors in ONE cartridge ? you really have to be kidding

Recently some companies have starting selling some printers with separate ink cartridges, one for each color (to catch up with Canon who has been doing it for over 5 years), and I just saw one that that wants to sell you two shades of black !

Recently Epson is advertising a new ink, Durabrite (sp), resists water, great idea, problem with that is:

Do you take your prints in the RAIN ?
The ink might be good, but the paper sure is NOT waterproof (although there is some great paper sold by national geographic that is)

Okie so why do I use Canon ?

Have you ever seen a canon print ? taken by a plain ol person ? It is nothing short of AMAZING.

Separate ink for each color (and has been for 5 years)

Water resistant ink (and has been for 5 years)

Durable Printers - My printers stay with me in my Van or Show trailer, the are in cold, extreme heat, travel the USA, get moved, abused and used, they have never ONCE failed me.

Paper:

For 13x19 prints I use canons amazing multi-layer paper, these prints are flawless and very, very durable, I have had a print on the dash of my van for over 2 years and it has NOT faded or lost any color.

For 8x10 prints I use Office Depots photo paper, this paper is also very very good, and work perfect for Canon printers, there is zero tack, zero drying time, I buy this in packs of 25, to keep the sheets nice and flat, since I travel so much in many conditions.

Kodak photo paper is NOT COMPATIBLE with canon 6 series inks (6 series is what canon has used for MANY yearson there photo printers), the prints nver dry and the black will bead, this has been a problem with Kodak for about 4 years now, it USED to be compatible.

Ink costs:

I just did a car show, bring the vettes in, park them so they are nice and pretty, take a shot, repeat 311 times, every 30 shots take the memory stick to one of my canon i900's (4 setup at this show), print all. Afer 311 prints I used 14 cartriges total, at a cost of 11 bucks each, all the prints were done in less then 6 hours total, including parking the cars and taking the shots.

Questions ? Ask away
puredigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 30, 2003, 10:14 AM   #2

Tell you what, I was on the fence between a i960 and the Epson R300 but I fell on the Canon side yesterday and, I'm happy I did. The pictures are, truly amazing and, the design of the unit is beautiful. I don't mean just asthetics either. I wish I had read your post a day earlier but, my choice would have been the same so, I guess it's moot.

Mark
mkoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2003, 12:11 PM   #3

Puredigital:

Do you work for BDS with me?

:?:
pdxbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2004, 2:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxbrian
Puredigital:

Do you work for BDS with me?

:?:
If BDS is Bristol Dragway, that might be me
Old Jan 26, 2004, 5:50 PM   #5

hrm... salesperson are you?

Anyhow, I don't buy it .

Sure, everyone has their favourite brand, but this is a little over the top

Printed in sandstorms? blizzards?

What printer do you use that can print during these conditions .

And 2 years on the dashboard.. hrm... have you car been standing in the garage for the last couple of years or what?
LCohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2004, 6:01 PM   #6

[quote="LCohen"]hrm... salesperson are you?

No just very happy with printers that have never once let me down

Anyhow, I don't buy it .

Sure, everyone has their favourite brand, but this is a little over the

Printed in sandstorms? blizzards?

Sandstorms, 6-10-02 Dinuba, CA, vacant lot, might even be some of my customers on here

Did you even READ the post ?

And 2 years on the dashboard.. hrm... have you car been standing in the garage for the last couple of years or what?

Obviosly you spend all your time buying lens and are clueless
Old Jan 26, 2004, 6:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by puredigital

Sandstorms, 6-10-02 Dinuba, CA, vacant lot, might even be some of my customers on here

Did you even READ the post ?

so you were standing in a sandstorm and printed? Come on.

Yes I've read the post, you mentioned canon 900 but you didn't say that you always used that one.

Quote:
Obviosly you spend all your time buying lens and are clueless
cause I have doubts that a print can be placed on a dashboard and not fade for 2 whole years? Please. But of course, it depends on how picky you are. I'm a perfectionist myself.
Why do you call me clueless? Spend all my time buying lenses? Likely?
LCohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2004, 1:30 PM   #8

Hi all

Interesting thread.

For those with late model cars and their 110 volt "laptop" AC
outlet, I can see where printing on the road could really work!

(otherwise, printing on the real road could be dangerous).

digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2004, 6:28 PM   #9

Default Like my Canon also

I have been using a Canon S900 for over two years now and I also like it. The prints are excellent. The only thing I disagree with on this post is the comment on Kodak paper. I have use Kodak Ultima Picture paper with good results on this printer and I had no bleed through problems or the black ink coming off on plastic archival acid free inserts. I did have this problem with an HP printer. I do allow the Kodak paper to dry 24 hours before inserting in these sleeves. My only complaint is that I don't feel that it does skin tones as well as say RedRiver papers (Ultra Pro and Polar Gloss papers). It will be interesting to see how the new Ultima paper with the 100+ years of life really does (and will it really last that long, big queston mark).

Would I get another Canon printer. Yes I would, espically if we will now start to see archival papers from companies for these printers.

WJL100
WJL100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2004, 8:15 PM   #10

I like my Canon !960, but I print at home where it is well ventilated, climatically controlled....call me a wuss, but I'll save the sandstorms and blizzard printing for the more venturesome.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote