Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jan 30, 2004, 2:17 PM   #11

csd,

Have you purchased a printer yet or are you still in waiting?
informativetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2004, 2:30 PM   #12
csd

I bought the Epson R300 and love it.
It wasn't in your shortlist - but if you have added it to your shortlist and need a sample print - let me know.
The other printer I had considered was the i960.
csd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2004, 2:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Some have been in sleeves for four years with no fade or
stick to the sleeve (as others have reported here).
Do you use these for archival purposes? I haven't a mental image of what it is you are speaking of.

This is something I need to look into as I would also like to find a quality photo album/scrapbook that won't botch my photographs but don't know what exactly I should look for and what to stay away from.

As of yet, I don't have an ink-jet printer.
Do you have a site in mind that will show what these sleeves look like?
I just might take you up on your offer as I hope to purchase a printer within a few months.
I definitely will have shots that I want to preserve for as long as I can. Anything that will help me achieve this will definitely be a plus.

Quote:
Is is true? No woman is an island (now)?
Ah *sigh*...yes, no woman is an island...either A humbling revelation, for which proves to be a thorn in my side. lol

Thank you digicamfan.
Old Jan 30, 2004, 2:50 PM   #14

Quote:
I bought the Epson R300 and love it.
It wasn't in your shortlist - but if you have added it to your shortlist and need a sample print - let me know.
The other printer I had considered was the i960.
I definitely wouldn't pass up the opportunity to view prints made with printers outside my short list. While I think I've narrowed my choices down, I'll remain open-minded.

I'll send you a pm a little later on.
Thank you csr for the offer, I appreciate it.
Old Feb 6, 2004, 8:01 PM   #15

Well, what are your findings so far????

Mark
mkoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2004, 10:21 PM   #16

informativetoo

I hate to step in here, but I have a few thoughts.

You really should have everyone print the same picture. That really is the only way to compare them. It wasn't clear to me that you were doing this.... Maybe you are?

Another thing is that the quality of the paper used will matter. Make sure that they tell you (as specifically as possible) what paper they used. You'll need to know so you can get it. Some printers produce much better output on specific papers.

The person who does the printing should also use a profiled printer, and you should have a profiled monitor. That is really the only way to have a good chance of producing something that you can compare between the printouts. If they don't have a profiled printer, then it isn't really fair to compare them...

You should also find out what inks they use. If they are refilling or using non-OEM inks, that will effect the output.

And after all that, I have a close friend who has a fully profiled Epson 2200 (my boss at work.) I could ask him if he'd make a print out for you. It is a wonderful printer. A bit old, but gives great results from all I've seen and heard. If I hadn't just been given a Epson Photo Stylus 700 (also old, but still works) for free, the 2200 would be on my short list of printers to get.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2004, 3:27 AM   #17

Quote:
You really should have everyone print the same picture. That really is the only way to compare them. It wasn't clear to me that you were doing this.... Maybe you are?
The same image wasn't printed by both printers. I didn't have a color photo that I thought was suitable to use as a good test picture.
Of course, it wasn't until later that I found you can download test pictures specifically for testing printers. Doh.
I don't know why I didn't think of it!

However, if given the opportunity to see prints from other printers, I will use the same pics.
Having not used the same pictures for the hp & canon printers...the prints still revealed something to me about each printer...and my hi-ti printer. However, yes...I think it always best to use the same image.

Hindsight...always 20/20 vision

Quote:
The person who does the printing should also use a profiled printer, and you should have a profiled monitor. That is really the only way to have a good chance of producing something that you can compare between the printouts. If they don't have a profiled printer, then it isn't really fair to compare them...
I hadn't asked but in viewing the "hp" image on my monitor and in print...both matched.
The "canon" image on my monitor appeared slightly different than the canon print. Close enough, I'd say.

Quote:
You should also find out what inks they use. If they are refilling or using non-OEM inks, that will effect the output.
I do believe both were using inks from their printers manufacturer. Both also printed on paper dedicated to their printer.

Quote:
And after all that, I have a close friend who has a fully profiled Epson 2200 (my boss at work.) I could ask him if he'd make a print out for you.
That'd be great Eric. You friends don't mind you volunteering their time, printer and paper? :lol: lol

Quote:
...the 2200 would be on my short list of printers to get
You and quite a few other people, from what I hear. Prices have dropped and am wondering if they will drop further.

Have you checked out the Epson r800 review? I think others are looking at it as the "companion"/"little brother" to the 2200.

I'll give you a pm here in a moment.

Thank you, Eric!
Old Feb 8, 2004, 3:39 AM   #18

Hey Mark,

Quote:
Well, what are your findings so far????

Mark
I started to write up my thoughts of both printers (the prints, I should say), about a week ago but it's been "on hold" in my inbox. I've been running about a week behind in all forms of correspondence and so have been playing catch-up these past few days.

If you haven't checked your e-mail...I sent you a note earlier. Well, guess that would be yesterday according to the time, now

I'll try to post my "findings" within a few days. Until then, I will say...while both hp & canon prints were "different"...I found neither prints inferior.
I will also give my opinion of my hi-ti prints when compared to the hp/canon prints. Enlightening...to say the least.
Old Feb 8, 2004, 8:49 PM   #19

If anyone is interested and in the market to see prints from the Canon i9100, you can PM me. I have had mine for about 7 months. I have even taken it to church events with my G3 and printed pics on the spot. In a 2 hour period, I think I took some 90 - 100 shots and prints; it never faltered.
dcrawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2004, 4:05 PM   #20

Damon,

I sent off a PM to you.

You know, I was thinking :idea: ...too bad Steve doesn't have a "Print Exchange" forum.