Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old May 25, 2011, 6:48 AM   #1

Default Seeking to replace Canon i9950

Hi all,

My wife runs an architecture business. She has an old Canon i9950 that has been used to produce A3 drawings and sometimes colour 3D renders. The printer has reached the end of its useful life, and she is now after a replacement.

Required:
  • A3, colour printer
  • good at fine detail and clean line work for architectural drawings
  • no need for multifunctions (there's already a small A4 MFC in the office)
  • Ideally, footprint no bigger that the i9950
  • Happy to consider inkjet or laser
  • Be useful to know if print to CD capability existed (very much in the nice to have, not need to have category!)
  • slight religious leaning towards Canon due to excellent past experiences, but nothing so devout it could not change based on decent testimonials

In all honesty, the i9950 was fine, but I can't seem to find any information as to newer printers from the i99xx series. If I knew, this would probably be the default option...

Currently considering the iX7000 (InkJet), PIXMA Pro 9000 Mk II (InkJet) or LBP9100Cdn (laser), but open to other suggestions.

I appreciate that this is a photography forum, but I've had no luck elsewhere trying to find advice, and thought that some of the experienced folk here may be able to help.

TIA!

Last edited by Liegroupoid; May 25, 2011 at 6:52 AM.
Liegroupoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 28, 2011, 2:05 PM   #2

Hi,

I've been using an Canon PRO 9000 MKII for well over a year now and would recommend it to anyone looking for an ink jet printer to print fine quality A3 prints.

I have found it to be durable, virtually maintenance and problem free. The detail the printer renders is nothing short of amazing when you consider the cost of the printer.

I have a small photography business supplying matted photographs both in
11 x 14 and A3. Most of my work is printed on either River Linen textured matte paper or Ultra Polar Satin. Both of which are made by Red River Paper Company.

I had been an Epson 'guy' having had 3 different Stylus 2200 pigment ink printers printer. As much as I liked the quality of this 'long in the tooth'
printer, The PRO900 MKII is just far superior.

Also, not sure if you're familiar with Imaging Resources, but they are a good source for reviews of various printer technologies as well as the Canon PRO9000MKII.

Here is a link to their website and a review of the 9000

http://imaging-resource.com/PRINT/CP9KII/PRO9K2.HTM

Hope this helps.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote