Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jan 10, 2004, 1:11 PM   #1

Default Papers for Epson in general, R300 in specific

Here we go again

Okay, so far I've tried Epson's Premium Glossy Borderless and Kodak Premium Glossy. The Epson looks great, while the Kodak has odd sort of outlines around large objects in the pictures. The Epson generally looks smoother and glossier than the Kodak.

What I'm wondering is, how do the following brands generally fare on Epson printers, and if anyone has personal experience with the R300, how do they work with that printer in particular?

Kodak (Ultima)
Konica
Canon
Office Max
Office Depot
Staples
Red River
HP
...and any other brands you guys know of.

Maybe we can make this the authoritative thread for printer papers for Epsons.
DeadWolfBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 10, 2004, 9:07 PM   #2

I have just hooked up my printer (Epson RX500 all-in-one, that uses same photo print motor as the 300r).

I finally got it working and realized that you have to have everything set to "photo glossy" and "best quality" setting, etc... once I did that I am getting very very good quality prints on EPSON PHOTO GLOSSY PAPER. Make me wonder how the premium paper would do?? I got the GLossy photo because it was at costco for such a good price.
rodH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2004, 10:51 PM   #3

For optimum color prints, you need to use color profiles for the type of paper you're using. Either that, or you can do trial and error to find the right settings in the Epson setup (not the best way). This is a very in depth subject and you will do best doing a google search for color management and Epson.

Red River does supply color profiles for their paper at no charge for Epson and Canon printers.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2004, 10:51 PM   #4

Your printer should have come with like a 5-sheet sample pack of the premium. That's the only reason I've tried it. Good stuff.
Old Jan 11, 2004, 1:11 AM   #5

Okay, update:

I ganked some of my girlfriend's Canon Photo Paper Plus Glossy, and it seems to work fine with the R300.
Old Jan 11, 2004, 7:38 AM   #6

try redriverpaper company, you can order a sample package that includes all their papers:

http://www.redriverpaper.com/
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2004, 2:00 PM   #7

Hey! My first post in Steve's forums!!! :lol:

I'm in a similar boat in that I've just purchased an R300 (I'm gimmick-friendly and tried to find an R300M... but no luck there...)

My question to the Canadian forum members (specifically Southern Ontario...) is: I'm suitably impressed by the recommendations here, and by Red River's website, but is purchasing small quantities of paper(s) from them and having 'em shipped here, efficient AND effective, or are there local sources of paper that are good quality and not rip-off-priced?

Thanx in advance for all opinions!

CB :mrgreen:
CenturyBreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2004, 2:54 PM   #8

I find the Epson Glossy Photo Paper and Kodak Premium Photo Paper work the best with the R300.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenturyBreak

I'm in a similar boat in that I've just purchased an R300 (I'm gimmick-friendly and tried to find an R300M... but no luck there...)

CB .. I managed to pick up a R300M from vistek www.vistek.ca just before xmas .. had it shipped from TO to Calgary .. the add-on monitor is a nice gizmo. BTW I'm sure this will be available as a plug in .. the R300 has the socket and mounting slot for the display .. and the box is the same, just has a R300M sticker on it.
el-diablo666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2004, 9:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by el-diablo666
I find the Epson Glossy Photo Paper and Kodak Premium Photo Paper work the best with the R300.

CB .. I managed to pick up a R300M from vistek www.vistek.ca just before xmas .. had it shipped from TO to Calgary .. the add-on monitor is a nice gizmo. BTW I'm sure this will be available as a plug in .. the R300 has the socket and mounting slot for the display .. and the box is the same, just has a R300M sticker on it.
Thanx for the paper recommendation!

As for the monitor in the R300M, I've already spoken to Epson Canada, and it's NOT available as an accessory. That was the original intention, apparently, but it's been yanked. There's no product number for it, and one isn't expected in the foreseeable future... Dommage.

An odd turn of events, however: the store where I bought the R300 had attempted to order this hypothetical add-on monitor for another customer, and got one... which the customer decided he didn't want to wait... Well, actually, it's the add-on for the 825 and 925 models, and only has a teeny-tiny 1.6" LCD rather than the 2.5" of the "M".

The upshot is, it looks funny, but it was "almost free" and it works! :lol: Ya gotta squint to use it, and I just might take it back, but "it shows to go ya..." that there's usually a way around things, no?

CenturyBreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2004, 10:16 PM   #10

So no one has experience with any of those other brands?