Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jan 10, 2004, 3:44 PM   #1

Default New Digital Camera/New Printer

My wife and I have purchased our 1st Digital Camera for Christmas, a Minolta DiMage G500, 5 megapixel.

We choose this Camera for it's size as we ride Harleys, attend car shows and wanted good quality but small enough to carry in a pocket.

Printer Considerations at this time are the Cannon i960 or the Epson R300?

Are these printers compatible (resolution, ect) with this Camera being 5 megapixle. Or should I be looking at a higher line.

Most pics taken will be normal family/vacation/sceenery type pics. I will also be taking pics of collector cars and such and will use the 8x10 print size occasiionally.

This is all new to me!

Thanks,

Brian/SSMan
FastSS396Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 10, 2004, 5:54 PM   #2

Either of those printers would do you just fine, and they're both great machines.
DeadWolfBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2004, 11:52 PM   #3

Both are good. I'm sure you see that most owners of either Printer is hppy. I have the R300 and I am as happy as can be with it.
Juice_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2004, 10:40 AM   #4

Thanks for your replies. I've been reading some of the other threads on these 2 printers and so far all sounds positive except availability of the R300.

Brian
Old Jan 12, 2004, 10:56 AM   #5
csd

I'm looking to upgrade my printer and have also looking at both of these printers and they both look great.
Maybe someone out there with more knowledge than I can answer this question::
While I love all the new tech-terms vendors through out these days like "MicroFine Droplet Technology" the old way of evaluating basic output was to first look at dpi.
So the Epson R300 advertises 5760 x 1440 dpi, while the Cannon advertises 4800 x 1200 dpi. No one seems to worry about this anymore. Why? Is it because beyond 4800 you can't really see the difference or some other reason?
csd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2004, 2:45 PM   #6

The availability of the R300 is now becoming better .. I see them everywhere now. I bought one of these just over a month ago and am well pleased with it. It prints excellent 10x8 photo quality pictures .. print colors (not discoloring and fading) are supposed to last for years .. something to think about when buying a printer.
el-diablo666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2004, 12:21 PM   #7

the resolution is not that important anymore. It gives some extra edge but nowadays it's most about color rendering. The prints are so good with the top models (R300, R800 i960) that it is hard to see any ink drops. But I believe that the epson gives better colors. And if you can wait for the R800 you will have world class colors. Dont know when the R800 will be released though.
LCohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2004, 11:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCohen
Dont know when the R800 will be released though.
Per the Epson web site...Feb of 04'

Est. Cost $400

Thats about double $ what I want to spend.