Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jul 28, 2011, 1:13 PM   #1

Default Canon Pixma IP5000

I have a Pixma IP5000 printer which has been working perfectly until lately when it started to print stripes in my pictures on plain paper. A check of the nozzles revealed that the Cyan was printing a light and heavy stripe. I attempted to clean the printhead with no change (letting it soak for several days and then using compressed air). I then noticed that I had just printed a number of photographs that looked perfect. I tried another one and again it came out perfect. So I tried another one on plain paper but set the quality on "high", and it printed perfect, even when printing a pure cyan test photo. But when returning to "normal" or "draft" , I get the alternating light and normal cyan stripes. I am starting to suspect an electrical problem, not a stopped up printhead (which are no longer available, by the way).
Darth266 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 28, 2011, 8:51 PM   #2

My last printer was a Pixma. I really liked it. Sorry to hear you're having problems with yours. I'm afraid I have no advice. Thankfully you can still get perfect images when printing on high quality! Have you called Canon?
JeannieBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2011, 9:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth266 View Post
I have a Pixma IP5000 printer which has been working perfectly until lately when it started to print stripes in my pictures on plain paper. A check of the nozzles revealed that the Cyan was printing a light and heavy stripe. I attempted to clean the printhead with no change (letting it soak for several days and then using compressed air). I then noticed that I had just printed a number of photographs that looked perfect. I tried another one and again it came out perfect. So I tried another one on plain paper but set the quality on "high", and it printed perfect, even when printing a pure cyan test photo. But when returning to "normal" or "draft" , I get the alternating light and normal cyan stripes. I am starting to suspect an electrical problem, not a stopped up printhead (which are no longer available, by the way).
Typically, most ink jet printers don't print photos very well on plain paper, unless your using the high quality setting. Draft mode is designed to print documents or text, at high speed thus saving ink and making the printer more productive.But it is not designed for photo quality prints.

The banding phenomenon typically shows up in the draft mode of most ink jet printers- especially when printing images on plain paper. So, I'm not surprised at all. But in normal mode when printing on plain paper, the banding really shouldn't be there. You may want to open your printer properties box and run an nozzle alignment procedure. You can also align the printhead simply by loading some paper into the printer and press and hold the resume/cancel button until the power light blinks four times. then the printer will go and automatically align the head. That may solve your issue.

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2011, 4:45 PM   #4

I have done the nozzle alignment procedure both in automatic and manual many times. the nozzle check also shows the light and normal cyan. The problem with the normal print on plain paper just showed up.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 9:23 PM   #5

I apologize if I seem to have asked or made a rather simple statement. Sometimes people just overlook the easy solutions.

If, as you suspect it is a voltage issue, If it were my printer, I'd remove the printhead and check the contacts. I would also take a Q-tip dipped in isopropyl alcohol and clean the contacts. Both on the head and inside the printer. The ones in the printer will most likely be hard to access. Clean contacts will improve the voltage driving the head.

Another item to check is print quality settings. when you take a look at halftone in the print quality dialog box, that should give you a choice of dither or diffusion. select diffusion.( if it is not already checked)

Hope this helps.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 10:55 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
I apologize if I seem to have asked or made a rather simple statement. Sometimes people just overlook the easy solutions.

If, as you suspect it is a voltage issue, If it were my printer, I'd remove the printhead and check the contacts. I would also take a Q-tip dipped in isopropyl alcohol and clean the contacts. Both on the head and inside the printer. The ones in the printer will most likely be hard to access. Clean contacts will improve the voltage driving the head.

Another item to check is print quality settings. when you take a look at halftone in the print quality dialog box, that should give you a choice of dither or diffusion. select diffusion.( if it is not already checked)

Hope this helps.

Zig
cleaned contacts, no change.
selected diffusion, no change.

My print alignment looks weird, I don't remember this as normal. Note B, H, and K.
Attached Images

Old Aug 3, 2011, 6:42 AM   #7

After looking at your nozzle alignment test print, since there is precious little information on the Canon USA site, I did a quick google search and found that you are not alone. I found about a half dozen reports of banding ALL having to do with the cyan color. unfortunately, there were no concrete solutions.

I use both Epson printers and the Canon pro 9000 mkII and have not experienced this persistent phenomenon.

What I have read, is that a number of users have replaced the USB cable and have solved the banding issues. (not having to do with the cyan banding, just banding in general).

If you have an extra cable, it maybe worth a try.

Zig

It may be time to contact Canon service and see if they provide a solution.

Old Aug 8, 2011, 4:45 PM   #8

Default more information

Canon's support said my printer needs repair at one of their Authorized repair facilities (100 miles away), or they would sell me a new one at a discount. I don't want any of their new ones with the chipped cartridges.

I just order a new cable from e-bay (cheap enough) so I will try it when it comes.

But I just made a new weird discovery. As I mentioned before it prints my pictures on "photo paper pro" perfectly. I had assumed that I was printing on high resolution, but I discoved that my "profile" for printing pictures is actually set for standard resolution.

I even set my profile for photos, and then changed only the paper setting to plain paper, and the feed from cassette to regular feed and fed in plain paper, and it still printed the cyan stripes. I didn't even change the paper size.

How can this be?
Old Aug 11, 2011, 10:52 AM   #9

Default last diagnosis (I think)

Based on my last discovery, I decided to try one more thing. I set my printer on "mat photo paper" but used plain paper and still standard resolution and the print came out perfect (no cyan stripes). Weird, huh?
Old Aug 11, 2011, 7:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth266 View Post
Based on my last discovery, I decided to try one more thing. I set my printer on "mat photo paper" but used plain paper and still standard resolution and the print came out perfect (no cyan stripes). Weird, huh?
Hi Darth,

There are times when you just can't quite explain why one setting works and another supposedly- "correct setting" just quite do it.

It is fair to say that your suspicion of not getting enough power to the printhead
is most likely the cause. Since when you change the type of paper, you're providing more power to the head which essentially, provides more ink intensity.

The good news is that you've found a work around that doesn't involve sending the printer in for service.

Zig