Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Aug 3, 2011, 6:36 PM   #1

Default Questions regarding CISS & Refillable Cartridges for Epson T60/R290 ...

Hi all .. I have an upcoming interest in photography, and I want to purchase a printer which in Asia is known as Epson T60 (or R290) ... To save money on printing costs, I'm looking into the possibility of hooking up this printer with a Continuous Ink Supply System (CISS) or use Refillable Cartridges .. Because these methods void the warranty (the first one does for sure at least), I have a few questions to ask if anybody here has used either of these techniques on Epson printers before:

1) My main concern with CISS is that I've heard that its only good for people who print a lot (e.g. people using the printer for commercial purposes, etc ..), because if you don't print anything for a few days then the printer head goes faulty, and you have to then either repair it (50% of it being repaired) or replace it with a new head, or else your printer is gone ! ... Is this true ?? .. So if I print like one a week or two weeks, my printer would be dead ?? Is there no way to avoid this ?

2) Does the above problem occur if I get refillable cartridges instead ? Would there still be a need to print at least a few times a week to keep the head and printer alive and working ?

3) Which of the two methods is generally better, in terms of quality, reliability, and safety for the printer ? ... Cost is not an issue for me ..

4) Does anyone know the model name for the US version of this printer ? .. If I know the model name/number of this printer's US version then I can will be able to google a whole lot more data ..

Right now in my area, I have to choose between either this printer, or the HP Photosmart Plus e-All-in-One (local model number is B110a), which actually has a lot of features, but I'm not sure if its print quality will be the same as Epson T60's (which is excellent by the way!) ..

So any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated ..
ahmadka is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 3, 2011, 7:17 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmadka View Post
Hi all .. I have an upcoming interest in photography, and I want to purchase a printer which in Asia is known as Epson T60 (or R290) ... To save money on printing costs, I'm looking into the possibility of hooking up this printer with a Continuous Ink Supply System (CISS) or use Refillable Cartridges .. Because these methods void the warranty (the first one does for sure at least), I have a few questions to ask if anybody here has used either of these techniques on Epson printers before:

1) My main concern with CISS is that I've heard that its only good for people who print a lot (e.g. people using the printer for commercial purposes, etc ..), because if you don't print anything for a few days then the printer head goes faulty, and you have to then either repair it (50% of it being repaired) or replace it with a new head, or else your printer is gone ! ... Is this true ?? .. So if I print like one a week or two weeks, my printer would be dead ?? Is there no way to avoid this ?

2) Does the above problem occur if I get refillable cartridges instead ? Would there still be a need to print at least a few times a week to keep the head and printer alive and working ?

3) Which of the two methods is generally better, in terms of quality, reliability, and safety for the printer ? ... Cost is not an issue for me ..

4) Does anyone know the model name for the US version of this printer ? .. If I know the model name/number of this printer's US version then I can will be able to google a whole lot more data ..

Right now in my area, I have to choose between either this printer, or the HP Photosmart Plus e-All-in-One (local model number is B110a), which actually has a lot of features, but I'm not sure if its print quality will be the same as Epson T60's (which is excellent by the way!) ..

So any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated ..
Hi,

You are much better off using the manufacturer's original ink formulation than using a non approved ink. Reason being that the manufacturers ink is designed to be used in the particular piezo head. Also, you'll find that
most 3rd party inks are not nearly as fade resistant as Epson's.

Piezo printheads are quite durable and will print for many years, provided that you maintain them properly. Also, it is all the more important to use Epson's ink, if you are not going to be using the printer on a regular basis.
Again, Epson spent many years developing and refining the ink formulations to enable users to do exactly what you're describing.

I have no affiliation with Epson. But I've been in the ink jet printing business for many years. The single biggest reason for head clogging and print quality issues is users introducing non approved ink- all to save a few bucks.

By the way, from a durability standpoint, Epson builds machines with better paper drive systems. Their inks are superior, and long term, you'll be happier than if you got the HP.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2011, 7:45 PM   #3

Thanks zig for your detailed reply ... Yes I did consider the option to go for genuine Epson 85N cartridges, but two problems have stopped me short in following this route:

1) In my area, Epson T60 is mainly used for commercial purposes, and so nobody here has a problem with using CISS, as they're printing dozens of things everyday ... And because of this genuine Epson 85N cartridges virtually don't exist in my local market ... I checked this myself ..

2) I then tried to look online and to see if I can purchase them from somewhere else and have them shipped to me ... Firstly, I hardly found any online shop selling 85N (just 2 or 3 or so, mainly eBay based or similar), and secondly, those who were selling them had an insanely high shipping costs to my country ...

I get a strong feeling that because CISS for Epson T60 is used so commonly, hardly anybody is actually selling genuine inks for it, which is quite odd !

So because of these things I think I have to kind of go with either one of the two aftermarket techniques, or maybe get the HP printer for which genuine inks are available to be, despite being moderately expensive ... But the problem is I don't think the HP printer will have as good print quality as T60's .. And also, the HP printer doesn't support CD/DVD printing like the T60, something which I've wanted to try out for quite a while ..

Last edited by ahmadka; Aug 3, 2011 at 7:54 PM.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 8:11 PM   #4

Hi,

I think the key statement you made is that all the commercial printers are using CISS

They are, I'm sure using the printers everyday which minimizes the clogging issues. That, and the fact that they are probably well versed in the art of cleaning the heads when they get clogged.
If you have no choice but to use a CISS, be prepared to run a test page every other day to massage the heads and ink delivery system.

Good luck.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 8:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi,

I think the key statement you made is that all the commercial printers are using CISS

They are, I'm sure using the printers everyday which minimizes the clogging issues. That, and the fact that they are probably well versed in the art of cleaning the heads when they get clogged.
If you have no choice but to use a CISS, be prepared to run a test page every other day to massage the heads and ink delivery system.

Good luck.

Zig
So what happens if I don't do this ? Does it really mean that the head goes faulty ?

Also, do you have any experience regarding Refillable Cartridges ? Do you also have this requirement of printing every other day ?
Old Aug 3, 2011, 9:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmadka View Post
So what happens if I don't do this ? Does it really mean that the head goes faulty ?

Also, do you have any experience regarding Refillable Cartridges ? Do you also have this requirement of printing every other day ?
hi,

I have refilled my own cartridges using ink from Precision In k Solutions.
I was refilling ink into the original cartridges that came with the Canon Pro 9000MKII. The process was not too messy and the ink was incredibly cheap, by comparison.

i print landscapes and seascapes in sizes 7.5x10, 10x13 and 13x19 which I matte and sell at various galleries in my area. I found out very quickly that the ink faded when exposed to sunlight. Not good if your selling matted prints

The other problem I had was a banding problem with certain colors. In the end, I took my own advice and went back to the original Canon cartridges.
I no longer have any problems, other than complaining about the price. BUT, I'm selling the prints and they reflect the cost of the paper, matte, and ink.

I also purchased a used Epson 4000 printer. The advantage to this printer is that it takes 220ml cartridges which is about 22times the volume of ink found in the small cartridge. The cartridges, while expensive, still save a huge amount of money over what I was paying for a standard 10ml ink cartridge. I've been able to pay for the printer in about 6 months
based on the savings on ink alone.

Zig