Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jan 24, 2004, 4:09 PM   #11

Well I decided to go with the R300, it was a tough choice, but I think I made a good one. Reason being when I read about Canon prints vs Epson I kept seeing the reoccuring theme that print life weas longer on the Epson printers. Fading, bleeding, etc. Also the R300 has the ability to panoramic pics, which I am into right now. Also I didn't think I would use the cd printing, but as more and more printable media is coming out I am going to capitalize on this feature. I thank everyone for their input.

P.S. Whats the best paper?
almies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2004, 8:25 PM   #12

Default I bought the R300 also.

I researched HP, Canon, and Epson. Finally decided for all of the same reasons to purchase the R300. Can't wait until it arrives and start printing pics. Will let you know the results. The only concern that I have is the tech support that Epson offers. Time will tell about that.

Steve
harr840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2004, 8:31 PM   #13

Default I bought the R300 also.

I researched HP, Canon, and Epson. Finally decided for all of the same reasons to purchase the R300. Can't wait until it arrives and start printing pics. Will let you know the results. The only concern that I have is the tech support that Epson offers. Time will tell about that.

Steve
harr840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2004, 10:59 AM   #14

Good morning -
I hope I'm not making some grievous forum error by dropping in with a question about water resistance...I am looking at both of these printers so maybe that counts?
I can't get a straight answer from the half-informed kids at Best Buy, Office Depot, etc. ...What's the best choice if water resistance is one of the primary goals?
I recently bought some of those National Geographic "Topo" Cd sets so I could print out customized maps for hiking trips. The really cool thing about the Topo CD's is I can plug in GPS waypoints before the trip and print them out on the map that goes with. The printer that can crank out water-proof maps which I can rudely jam in my pack side pocket (and don't cost a fortune for super-special paper if possible) is the winner for my needs.
Thanks!
Bartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2004, 6:31 PM   #15

Default Re: Having a hard time choosing between i960 and the R300M

I RECENTLY RECEIVED MY NEW CANON I 960. INCREDIBLE PRINTER
WITH SPEED AND OUTPUT OF A PHOTO LAB. INDIVIDUAL 6 COLOR INK TANKS KEEP DOWN COST AND I EVEN FOUND GREAT OUTPUT ON NON CANON PAPER THAT IS MUCH LESS EXPENSIVE. (IBM HEAVYWEIGHT ULTRA GLOSSY 4X6 100CT ON SALE AT BEST BUY ONLINE FOR $6.95 US) FLEXIBLE DRIVER SETTINGS INCLUDING "VIVID" PHOTO AND NOISE REDUCTION THAT CAN BE SAVED AS PROFILES FOR EACH PHOTO AND PAPER TYPE. I HAVE BEEN ABLE TO PRODUCE PANORAMAS IN LINGTH UP TO LEGAL SIZE PAPER USING THE INCLUDED PHOTOSTICH UTILITY. I AM NOT FAMILLIAR WITH THE OTHER PRINTER YOU ARE CONSIDERING, BUT I AM SUR YOU WOULD NOT BE FOR UNDER $200US.

[/quote]
MICKEY J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2004, 7:14 AM   #16

Bartender
Everyone advertises their ink as water resistant but none really are.

I use the 99c a can clear spray from Wal Mart to waterproof stuff. Iíve used it on business cards and greeting cards. Leaves a nice finish. The trick is to not push the button with the spray can pointed at the target, but sweep quickly across a few times from about 18 inches. It brings out the color and will make your maps look really nice.

Try it on a color newspaper photo. You wonít believe the transition.

It will resist raindrops and keep the print from smearing in your pocket. If the paper soaks through I think you would still get a mess though. It is easy enough to fold with several light coats just on one side. I donít think there would be much advantage to spraying it on both sides because the coat has to be relatively light and you would likely soak the paper anyway if you pants got wet in a heavy rain.

Worth a try for 99c though.

MICKEY J
Your caps lock seems to be stuck.
Iím waiting for Canon to put those great print heads in a wide format so I can upgrade my S9000. Hope they add panorama capability though.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2004, 12:24 PM   #17

Default Saving Money?

1.) Trying different bands of Photopaper I'm thinking no harm done

2.) IMO trying to get card stock to look like photo paper is waste

3.) saving money by using other than OEM ink has it's own drawbacks - check link as an example -
http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,111767,00.asp

4.) take any advice given here including mine with a grain of salt
ltrez is offline   Reply With Quote