Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jan 16, 2004, 7:26 PM   #1

Default Having a hard time choosing between i960 and the R300M

Can someone sway me one way or the other? I like i960 seperate 4x6 tray, clear ink tanks, its rave reviews. The R300M I like the idea of being able to print panoramic pics, the multi card reader is nice, but currently no use for it. Anyone?
almies is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 17, 2004, 10:25 PM   #2

It's a tough choice. I was deciding on the i960 & R300. Both are great printers. I went with the R300. I seemed to produce nicer colors. The Card reader is nice as is the ability to print on CD's. The Preview Monitor on the R300M is also good for quickly printing from the Memory card. I am partial to the Epson seeing that I own it and the Prints are great. It comes down to your preference. What I do wish is that the ink cartridges were clear as they are with the Canon's.
Juice_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2004, 8:14 AM   #3

The r300 has better resolution. The r300 has 5760x1440 dpi versus 4800x1200 for the i960. If the pictures appear the same to you to the naked eye - then let the specifications take precedence and go for the r300.
cczych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2004, 4:21 PM   #4

Default Canon i960 has my vote . .

Problem with the Canon's is that their drivers aren't that well optimized color wise. Out of the box the prints using Canon's canned ICC profiles come out yellowish. Using 3rd party color profiles and non-canon paper (I prefer Epson Colorlife or Epson Premium Glossy) the prints come out fantastic. I've had fading issues (gas related) with Canon's glossy papers so I stopped using them and use other brands with much success.

The speed of the Canon is fantastic, it's nearly 3 times faster than the Epson. When you look a the specs, a couple minutes vs. 37 seconds for a 4x6 doesn't seem like much, but try multiplying that by say 24 copies. It's not uncommom for me to print a bunch of invitations out or maybe a bunch of shots from a party. Having to wait for over an hour instead of 15 minutes . . I choose 15 minutes thank you . .

There are a multiple number of issues with various makes/models. Longevity can be lengthened on the Canons if you use good paper (like Ilford), and clogging can be prevented with good maintenance (cleaning the head wipers and waste pad).

As for the added features, I wish my i960 had the CD printing but I don't mind not having card readers. I think built in card readers are for folks who don't care about color accuracy and either don't have a PC or are too lazy to print from one.

Oh and comparing the resolution specs between these two is kind of fruitless. With the naked eye either print is going to look great.

Pick the one that you like the best feature wise, either one is a great printer.
muzzy996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2004, 9:18 AM   #5

Muzzy,

What ICC's are you using? I have noticed a yellowish tint to some of my photo's on the i960.

Mark
mkoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2004, 4:44 PM   #6

How are the black and white prints from the i960?
almies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2004, 8:09 PM   #7

Default Using DDI Software profile . .

I got a profile for the i960 for Epson Premium Glossy from DDI Software. It cost me $25 and works great for that paper.

I plan on getting profiles done by Cathy for that paper as well and also getting Epson Heavyweight Matte done too.

As for black and whites, I don't print those but have tried and the results are just OK. Theres a slight blue cast on my B&W prints and I haven't tried to get rid of that.

If B&W is important to you then nothing will come close to the HP 7960 with the phot grey cartridge.
muzzy996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2004, 12:23 AM   #8

Default Re: Using DDI Software profile . .

From the reviews Iíve read the print quality on the i960 is at least as good. DPI alone has never been a good indicator of inkjet print quality.

I like the ability of the R300 to print on CDs. Steve was miffed that they werenít waterproof and went back to his old CD printer. But a quick thin spray of 99c/can Wal-Mart clear spray would fix that fine. I use it on a lot of stuff I want to waterproof. Leaves a nice surface if you donít use too much.

But the Canon is much faster and you can refill the cartridges. Ink costs are also lower if you donít refill.

I couldnít imagine printing directly from the card at the cost of photo printing. Everything takes a trip through Photoshop first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzy996
As for black and whites, I don't print those but have tried and the results are just OK. Theres a slight blue cast on my B&W prints and I haven't tried to get rid of that.
By chance are you refilling the cartridges or using non-Canon cartridges? Printers mix the colors for grayscale and if the colors arenít exactly right you get a tint. I get a greenish tint in grayscale with aftermarket ink in my HP. I havenít tried it in my Canon S9000, but I refill that too. You have to profile for both aftermarket ink and paper Ė maybe there is a profile that will work if your arenít using Canon ink.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2004, 10:47 PM   #9

I really liked the Epson's features, but picked up a i960 tonight instead. The R300's ability to print CD's & the card slots are nice, but I really hate those chipped cartridges. My 875 goes thru ink like water ( ... dollars ...) down the drain. Also, I had a $30 coupon for Staples. Coupled with this weeks $40 gift check for purchasing the Canon brought the i960's price to $129. Just can't beat that. the fast printing is a real strong selling point also.
skousch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2004, 1:29 PM   #10

I don't think you can go wrong with either one. After a couple of weeks of similar debate I went with the r300. Reasons:
- not too concerned about print speed - I typically queue a big job then do other stuff anyway.
- wanted the card slots but not for direct printing - for transfer. I have been transfering from my camera directly but it only supports USB1.1 - wanted the speed transfer of USB2.
- Had trouble seeing the difference in quality - but the r300 appeared slightly better to me when looking closer. (perhaps this was psychological because I knew the resolution was better ahead of time)
- Not concerned about spending a little more for ink for a little better quality.
In summary, my opinion for others that may be following this thred:
If you are looking for a great printer at a great price (both non-recurring and recurring costs) - I think the i960 is the choice. If you are looking for something marginally better and are willing to spend a little more (recurring), and also think you will use the card slots and perhaps direct CD printing - then the r300 may be your choice.
cczych is offline   Reply With Quote