Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jan 17, 2004, 8:04 AM   #1

Default "Crop, Print, and Paste?" i960 vs R300 vs Hi-Touch

There’s a potentially valuable thread going which compares the Epson R300(M) with the Canon i960. I have been contemplating that choice despite the fact that I bought and paid for an R300 on Dec 4 (see thread “Epson, where’s my R300?").

For me, the deciding factor between the two was that the R300 can print panoramic prints up to approximately 8” x 24” and 4” x 44.” The i960 doesn’t permit panorama printing.

However, a few posts I have read here on these invaluable forums leads me to believe that some Canon printers can “print and paste” a panorama or poster. That is, divide your panorama into 3, 4, 5, or more 4” x 6” pictures and print them individually. Paste the series onto a backboard, and voila! a lo-technique which works well enough to – at least - see what is worth sending to the lab.

Considering this possibility causes me to also throw the Hi-Touch dye-sub printer back into the mix! Why? As far as I can determine from posts and reviews, the Hi-Touch produces higher quality and longer-lasting prints than either the Epson or Canon. It’s limitation is that 6” x 4” is its one and only size.

So, my questions to owners of these three printers:

Can your printer “x” print a poster (a “matrix” such as 2x2, 3x2, etc) or a panorama (a “series” such as 3x1, 4x1, etc.) using the “Crop, Print, and Paste” technique? Have you tried it? Were you able to get the prints edges to line up acceptably well?
Specifically in the case of the i960, were you able to do this on glossy photo paper? (a post here on another forum indicates that some Canon’s will permit this only on plain paper).

Thanks for your time and effort!
Uncle Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links